mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Beginner help in Wompatuck

I got my Trek 820 in May, have put 1200 mi on it but mostly all on pavement. Wanted to try mtb'ing so met a friend today @ Wompatuck - I rode some of the west side singletracks into the campground, into Mt Blue Spring, then the E2 to E12 trail (a killer) then picked up the E15 to C10, had a blast up on the rail bed (C6 to N13) and really enjoyed the trail near headquarters (N2 to N11)

Wompatuck offers so much, but I'm only cut out now for the easy stuff - but the map doesn't indicate what is what. I'll mark up my map with what I liked but would appreciate any input, on whats good for a beginner. I don't ever expect to be interested in the technical stuff - but dont mind roots & small stones & an occasional branch. Just not looking to go over boulders. big stumps and jump into quarries :- )

I live btw right near Myles but looking for variety; and Wompatuck is still scenic, plus some days now Myles is overrun with hunters.

Peter

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    When you enter the park enter the lower parking lot to your right. If you ride onto the gated road, you'll see a trail to the left within 100 ft of the gate. Follow this trail and it will take you to another paved bike trail. Take a left and then a right, about 200' you'll see a sandy trail entrance on your right...take it. You'll follow some old railroad ties to the left and in about 50' you'll see a trail cutting across the rails and into the woods to your right, go and have fun. If you follow the arrows at the end of the trail, it will take you thru, what looks like a construction zone, and will take you to another trail, just ride and explore.......TJ

Quote Originally Posted by pm7771
    I got my Trek 820 in May, have put 1200 mi on it but mostly all on pavement. Wanted to try mtb'ing so met a friend today @ Wompatuck - I rode some of the west side singletracks into the campground, into Mt Blue Spring, then the E2 to E12 trail (a killer) then picked up the E15 to C10, had a blast up on the rail bed (C6 to N13) and really enjoyed the trail near headquarters (N2 to N11)

Wompatuck offers so much, but I'm only cut out now for the easy stuff - but the map doesn't indicate what is what. I'll mark up my map with what I liked but would appreciate any input, on whats good for a beginner. I don't ever expect to be interested in the technical stuff - but dont mind roots & small stones & an occasional branch. Just not looking to go over boulders. big stumps and jump into quarries :- )

I live btw right near Myles but looking for variety; and Wompatuck is still scenic, plus some days now Myles is overrun with hunters.

Peter