mtbr member

Batchelor street. Rant on.

(cross post from NEMBA forums)

This is getting ridiculous. Over the past two years, there has been a barrage of trail sissification at Batchelor Street. The riders who are doing the following things need to stop immediately. The offenses include, but are not limited to:

-Cutting corners you aren't skilled enough to climb or descend (there, I said it. Why else would you be cutting the corner?).

-Clearing the branches and rocks I and other riders put over your cut corners and go-around lines.

-Making trails easier by taking out logs or moving rocks.

-Moving rocks from one part of a rock garden to make another part more do-able.

-Straying from the the trail, thus widening trails.

The Batchelor street trails are expert level. I guess this needs to be said for the f**king bajillionth time - if you can't make a section, try it again, then try it again, then again and again and again and again. DON'T CHANGE THE TRAIL TO SUIT YOUR RIDING ABILITY! There's no shame in not being able to clean something, but there is deep shame in sissifying a trail (little known fact - people who do it meet this guy ). One of the most exciting parts of mountain biking is being able to clean a section you once had to walk. That can't happen when people are making trails easier.

I'm sick and tired of fixing trail braids made by hack riders. I've so much other stuff I'd like to do with my day and with my bike ride. I'm going to call it as I see it and say maybe some folks aren't ready to ride these trails. It's a great place, even for novice riders who are interested in improving their abilities, but RIDERS NEED TO RESPECT THE TRAIL SYSTEM AND ORIGINAL TRAIL BUILDER'S INTENT.

If you or someone you know are committing these offenses, please stop. To those folks who are taking time from their ride to fix these issues, you know who you are, and your efforts are much appreciated. To everyone, feel free to contact me if you are interested in performing trail maintenance. Our efforts to preserve these trails will be maximized by working together and coordinating efforts. Rant off.

Chaz

EDIT: I know this is happening everywhere. It'd be fantastic if it stopped everywhere. I have no way of knowing if perpetrators reading this, but it's something that bears repeating.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    +1
    Amen Chaz.

mtbr member
    Like someone said on Nemba I think posting these rants to forums is preaching to the choir. I doubt youd find many people on the forums going out of their way to over stupify a trail. I guess you can only hope the stupifiers will eventually get bored and find their way onto the forums. Then if they come across the rants hopefully it becomes apparently clear they screwed up.

mtbr member
    I know I'm preaching to the choir. I ranted because it felt good, and there's an off chance some idjit read it and learned something.

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    The odd thing is this is even happening across the street at earl's, which is very easy riding. Maybe it's time for a sign or two in very strategic places or one of those little IMBA boards at the trail heads explaining the 'rules'?

mtbr member
    No sh*t huh. You don't know how much I feel your pain. Seems like I'm ranting about this same topic monthly. This and riding during mud season, lol.

Here is a recent, and one of my more polite, rants from another local forum...

Quote Originally Posted by btf95
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dubs
    People wouldn't do it at B&T's, but they'll do it there?

$.02
    [/rant]
    I spend half my life blocking of cheat lines, lazy mothafkn lines, trail sanitation bullsh!t lines, whatever lines. peeps need to understand that there is a progressive learning curve to MTBing. The majority of riders in the NS know this and/or have been riding the original lines for yrs. All this braiding accrued when "outsiders" not familiar with the trails, or riding above there ability showed up. The NS is blessed with the the most pristine, technical, expert riding. As do alot of Mass. There are also many trails where a less than expert rider can enjoy themselves. These places help build the skills and trail etiquette in which to bring along to the next level. Also, now here is the common sense part. If you find a feature or section of trail to be above your ability, get off your bike and walk it. Why. Because a braid, or removal/sanitation of features dumbs the trail down for the riders who ride at a higher ability rating than your self. Not only that, but once you reach the point of said higher ability, this trail that you dumbed down is no longer appealing to you. BTW. The Internet Killed B&T's and tech singletrack in general.

The above rant was/is not focused at Icewax or anyone in this thread. Just a rant.