May 2010

Batchelor/Earl's?

Pm me your strava name if you have it

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Strava?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    rode earls sunday afternoon, definitely needs trail work in some areas, had to go around a few trees and there are so many leaves that its hard to navigate trails and see rocks/roots you're gonna hit. All in good fun though, it was good to be out there.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Batchelor/Earl's?

Went to robinson a with my fiancé Sunday which was awesome she did 7 miles which is amazing considering this is her 3rd time out

mtbr member
    May 2010

Batchelor/Earl's?

Ever riding with me. Did some riding in town yesterday. Need to take today off because I have been abusing my muscles and not giving them heal time from all the riding. Got 45 miles on the stumpy and I must say I absolutely love 29ers and love my specialiZed. It turns so quick and is so easy to maneuver

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have enjoyed the 29er as well. I am curious about the 27.5 though. Let me know if you get a group to ride this weekend I think I am going to have a few days off in a row.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ok ill see if i can plan a ride for this weekend. My boss rode one the other day. he bought a khs 27.5 full suspension. He said he noticed that it turns in faster but that was about it. He didn't put alot of time on it but he did say he likes his 29er more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    ANy ideas on rides this weekend? Ive been goin out to earls. I rediscovered my incredible trail connections for my loop and realized again how much fun you can have at earls if you do it right.

I also got on board with the Strava app, I love it. My time was super slow i think due to the fact that some trails had so many leaves I could even walk up the hills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    im now realizing I could put this on a PM sorry about

mtbr member
    Looking for info. I'll be in Amherst tomorrow for work and am looking to do an afternoon ride, I've had it in my mind to hit up the infamous Batchelor/Earl's trails. I've heard Earl's has the flow and Batchelor the gnar. I'd love to have both on my ride.

Where would you recommend parking/loop suggestions/trail suggestions/etc. so I can hit the best of both worlds for a nice 2-3 hour tour. It looks like I'll end up doing some climbing on the Holyoke Range there. Which is cool, because I live on Cape Cod and climbing is a luxury I don't have much of.

mtbr member
    In order to get a nice loop with both for 2-3 hours you really need to know the layout; it's not mapped out real well how to cross over.

I recommend you hit one side, either the perfect bachelor street or the elegant Earls; pick your poison you won't be disappointed in either.

If you need a map send me a message. I wouldn't mind heading out with you, but I just finished the Stoopid 50 on Sunday and am in recovery mode for a day or two !
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    So parking at the notch tree and trying to venture both ways would be a poor idea? I see where to park for Batchelor. What about Earl's?

Congratulations on the Stoopid. I went to Penn State, Rothrock is where I learned to ride.

mtbr member
    It all depends on how fast of a rider you are. By all means you can sample both by parking at the notch, and do both, it's just not well defined to get to bachelor st. if you've never been there.

I think 2.5hrs in bstreet will provide you with what you are looking for. Try the outter loop; it's the easiest to navigate. From the parking lot, go right and stay right throughout the trail system. I think it's about 15 miles or so, but it's good chunky fun.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    with a 2-2.5 hour window, I'd recommend parking at the dirt lot on Batchelor St. And riding B-Street exclusively. Earl's is great and all, but B-Street is more unique and trip worthy, and linking the two takes some time.

B-Street has some flowy trails, too…and over the years some of the 'teeth' have been pulled from the gnarliest trails. It's easier to navigate as well (IMHO).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Parking at the notch works for Earls, not so much for Batch. The M and M is no bikes, other connections are on the road.

Batch used to be much more about tech than it is now, much of the good stuff has been "Flowed" around.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    B-street it is. I assume the parking is pretty recognizable? Don't see when I'll be back and Cape has plenty of flow so I like to find tech when I can. And it looks like I can get my recommended 2+ hours.

Real question, where headed south toward the pike do I stop for food and beer after?

mtbr member
    Actually the "other" connections are mostly trail

mtbr member
    The parking lot fits about 15 cars or so, so yes you will see it on bachelor st pretty easy. With over 20 miles of trail, you can put in 2+ hours at any ability. Trust me, it's worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    still looking for people to ride with if anyone is interested. I moved here a couple years ago and have only rode on Earls trails through and through. I have been on b-street once but I was totally lost, still fun though.

I have always ridden alone because I don't know anybody here! lol

mtbr member
    dfields - I am a teacher and off starting next week, so let me know what ride times are good for you. I will take you on a nice little tour of some of bachelor streets finest

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Paul and dfields - I'm on the same boat... would love a tour. Also a teacher and off for the summer. Most of my rider friends live and ride in central/southern CT, but I'm all the way up in Enfield and quite close to Holyoke. Rode Mt Tom by myself yesterday, would like to check out Bachelor and/or Earl's. Anyone willing to show me around would be much appreciated!

mtbr member
    If you guys want I can put together a Friday morning ride?

say.. 8? Before it get's crazy hot out? Ride time 3-4 hrs or so? 10-20 miles? We can do a nice Bachelor st - Earls loop

Or just a 2.5hr bachelor st loop..

Let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Ahhh.. should have specified - not this week for me! I can (hopefully) join on the next one. Next week's Monday afternoon, Wednesday, Thursday afternoon, and Friday are all good.
    Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Next week Friday am might work keep you posted

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I should be back up and riding in a few days. wrist is about 85-90% there. been off the bike for a little while. due to no time and a non mountain bike injury

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast