mtbr member

Bald Hill in Boxford

Anyone ride Bald Hill in Boxford? I've heard more people bike it than ride, but I've been in there a few times recently but mainly stuck to a pretty short loop. I was wondering if anyone who rides it could recommend anything to try out. I'm less than a mile away so it would be a perfect place for me to get my ride in after work.

MC MasterShake
    Not much to ride on Bald Hill. It's a pretty small area of trails. I work in that area and ride on my lunch breaks all the time. You have Harold Parker, Willowdale/Bradley Palmer, and Lynn Woods all in a 10 minute drive away from that area. If you're trying to find a way to ride w/o getting in the car check out the Bay Circuit Trail online. I'm pretty sure the BCT runs through Bald Hill. You can get to HP and Willowdale from the BCT.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Not much to ride on Bald Hill. It's a pretty small area of trails. I work in that area and ride on my lunch breaks all the time. You have Harold Parker, Willowdale/Bradley Palmer, and Lynn Woods all in a 10 minute drive away from that area. If you're trying to find a way to ride w/o getting in the car check out the Bay Circuit Trail online. I'm pretty sure the BCT runs through Bald Hill. You can get to HP and Willowdale from the BCT.
    I just got back from there about 10 minutes ago. You're right, there isnt much, but its not bad if you want to get an hour or 2 in. I usually go to the right of the "pond" and go up to the right which has the bay circuit trail sign, but the beginning part of that is flooded until it gets really dry out. Today I went to the left of the pond and found a nice 3 mile loop that brought me back to where I started. Some climbs, a little downhill, but no drops or anything.

Its nothing technical but it is a bumpy as hell ride.

Harold Parker is on my way home from work so I will definitely be checking it out soon. I do love Lynn Woods but sometimes after work I dont really have the motivation to drive to Lynn in RT 1 traffic. Definitely not a 10 minute trip unless no one is on the road.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Bald Hill used to be a regular ride for me. Between beaver and more polished alternatives haven't been for awhile. Some sections I used to like: 31-6A,19-Middleton Rd., 9A-26-21-20-22-23-24-25-Middleton Rd., the Nike site, stuff south of Crooked Pond in Wunnegen Conservation (Boxford). There are some really good xc ski routes in this area, especially down into Middleton.

Reminds me how spoiled we are with polished lines and purpose built bike trails. Bald Hill is rough, wet, mud, clouds of skeeters and horseflies, old school. We used to like that kind of thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Do you live in Boxford?

I live in Boxford and have a pump track at my house, its a work in progress. I used to ride over at Bald Hill but as you found there is not much there. My sister lives on the other side in Middleton so I've been all over that area. Usually, if I need a quick ride I go over to Willowdale. Very non technical single track compared to the other areas around the Northshore so its kind of like getiing in a road ride on the trails, I hate the road. We do a regular ride every Wednesday night at an undisclosed Northshore location. If you are looking for some harder stuff...
    MikeG

mtbr member
    Yeah I live in Boxford, less than 1/4 mile from the Bald Hill trail head. I havent heard of Willowdale before.

mtbr member
    I did this route today, I could only ride for about an hour and a half so I had to turn around at that point. Ended up being about 5 miles including the ride there and back. I thought it was pretty fun. Very rocky and bumpy though.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Better map

This has some erroneous info but offers a more complete picture than the DCR cartoon map.
    http://btabolt.org/downloads/bald_hill.pdf
    Take a look at my previous post for some suggested trails that I used to like but may suck now. The stuff behind Crooked Pond and down into Wunnegen is worth exploring, also 31-6A and over to the Nike site. It's your backyard and there are trails to explore. Not cruisy like W'dale or as well defined as HP but you can ride from BH to both of these spots no problem with time and a sense of adventure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramshackle
    This has some erroneous info but offers a more complete picture than the DCR cartoon map.
    http://btabolt.org/downloads/bald_hill.pdf
    Take a look at my previous post for some suggested trails that I used to like but may suck now. The stuff behind Crooked Pond and down into Wunnegen is worth exploring, also 31-6A and over to the Nike site. It's your backyard and there are trails to explore. Not cruisy like W'dale or as well defined as HP but you can ride from BH to both of these spots no problem with time and a sense of adventure.
    Oh wow thats a far better map, thanks. I rode past 31 today, I'll have to try out that 31-6A soon. I have a lot more exploring to do. I like that fact that I can literally ride 3 minutes from home and be at the trail head, ride a few hours then be back home very quickly.

mtbr member
    Today I did 20-19-18-31-6A-6 and checked out the quarry. 31-6A was in pretty rough shape, extremely rooty and rocky. On the way back I went 6-7-8-8A-26-13-14 then out. Longer ride than I wanted to take but it was ok. I think my favorite section is still 14-23-21-20, a lot smoother ride.

I think I am ready to check out HP some time this week or next weekend. I did about 26 miles in Bald Hill since last weekend so I need a break from it.

mtbr member
    Decided I will be heading to HP after work between Wed and Friday this week. I can probably get there by 5:30-5:45 and ride til 7:30-8. If anyone would like to join, just let me know the night beforehand with a pm here so I can know to bring my bike to work.