Sun Devils
    Jan 2008

B-Street Rides this weekend?

Just curious if there were any B Street group rides happening this weekend or any friendly advice for a few people looking to explore what I've heard is an awesome riding spot. I know there are some regulars on here who ride out there, I found a map and everything some general ride guidance online but it's always more fun to hook up with locals if possible.

mtbr member
    Not sure what group rides are going out, but I could do a Friday or Saturday morning ride.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i ride there sometimes 1 or twice a week depending on what kind of riding i want to do. Im no ball of fire lol

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I could definitely go Saturday morning, how early do you usually head out?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I use an app called strava and it has a good amount of trails on the map that it uses and you can look at for batchelor st.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Oh nice, I've never used Strava but it seems to be the most popular one out there. Are you planning to ride Saturday?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If Smelly is offering to show you around B Street take him up on the offer. I don't know him personally but know from friends that he is a great rider and one of the B street tail gnomes.

mtbr member
    Every SAT morning a group of riders, including myself, hit it up at 7:30. We generally ride for about 2.5 hours. Let me know if you'd like to join. The pace is intermediate on these rides.

Watch out for Smelly; he's a punk lol
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Smelly is better than most sponsored riders,he's usually the best F-ing rider on the mountain.

achiever
    Pauldotcom -I built something you're going to like... it's plastic & from a British company.

mtbr member
    May 2010

I'm thinking of leaving work a little early tomorrow to go riding either batchelor st or earls

mtbr member
    May 2010

I work until 3 on Saturdays

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    I could definitely go Saturday morning, how early do you usually head out?
    I dunno. 9?
    If you want to get out earlier, go with Pauldotcom. He's a good dude, even if he swears a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    If Smelly is offering to show you around B Street take him up on the offer. I don't know him personally but know from friends that he is a great rider and one of the B street tail gnomes.
    Tail gnomes are the dudes who leave used condoms in the parking lot. I stopped associating with them years ago.

mtbr member
    Swears alot? lol!
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    After work rides are always cool too. I can usually get to the trail head by 3 after work

mtbr member
    OOOO!! I need to see it; I plan on building somthing from a British company in a few months!

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly View Post
    I dunno. 9?
    If you want to get out earlier, go with Pauldotcom. He's a good dude, even if he swears a lot.
    9 works for me. B Street dirt lot? What's the brew of choice for post B-Street?

mtbr member
    Dang Smelly if you'r takin' the crew out I'll go at 9 also... Maybe do a loop with the guys at 7:30 then tag along with you guys at 9:00

achiever
    I'm going to try to make it for 9 on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    9 works for me. B Street dirt lot? What's the brew of choice for post B-Street?
    Ok, 9 it is. Yup, we meet at the dirt lot. Paul and red, we'll see ya there.
    No beer for me, I'm in the midst of a booze vacation that doesn't end until Sunday after singlespeedapalooza. Thanks though

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I just wish I was in good enough shape to take part in this ride and not have a heart attack. Too much time on the office and not enough time on the bike this spring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior View Post
    Pauldotcom -I built something you're going to like... it's plastic & from a British company.
    Does it have suspension, gears and normal size wheels?

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly View Post
    Ok, 9 it is. Yup, we meet at the dirt lot. Paul and red, we'll see ya there.
    No beer for me, I'm in the midst of a booze vacation that doesn't end until Sunday after singlespeedapalooza. Thanks though
    No prob man, I'll see you guys out there. Black Nissan Frontier riding a black Firebird with green handle bars.

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    Does it have suspension, gears and normal size wheels?
    Yep, normal wheels for wmass (or at least the folks I ride with), there's little levers on the bars that when pushed, make a clunk & the pedaling gets easier or harder & the fork is really squishy.
    And it's pretty fast.

mtbr member
    Sounds perfect!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was out yesterday. Did some trail exploring rode twister and far east and a few other trails i've never hit. Can't wait to get back in there again

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just might have to join this 9am ride with some of the BSWC. SSAP warmup.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Not sure what that means, but sounds good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddin22 View Post
    I use an app called strava and it has a good amount of trails on the map that it uses and you can look at for batchelor st.
    I use Strava to record my rides, but as far as I know it mostly has segments, not something like an overall trail map. It could be that they have something and I've never seen it. What I use for riding B street (and used to use for Earle's until I learned the trails) is Maprika. If you want an app with a good chunk of the trails (though not the most recent ones) on it, get the Maprika app and download the "Holyoke Range mtb" map.

Rode B street tonight - it's in great shape. Can't give enough thanks to the folks who maintain it.

mtbr member
    May 2010

True it is segments but I figure it would give him a few things to ride right from the go. What is your name on strata. I was at batch the other day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddin22 View Post
    True it is segments but I figure it would give him a few things to ride right from the go. What is your name on strata. I was at batch the other day.
    Name on Strav is Ed Parrot.

Yeah, I totally agree, Strava segments are a great place to start. Maprika can be really helpful if you suddenly realize that you don't know how far you are from the parking lot and you need to be back at a certain time

mtbr member
    May 2010

Never used maprika. I am following you. Mine is Kenneth sorber.

mtbr member
    May 2010

There are a bunch of us at valley motorsports in Northampton that ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    now following you on Strava. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Sweet!! Way to tear up earls today!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I don't know about tear up, but it was fun as always. I will probably try to ride B street later in the afternoon on sunday. I recently got a 26" FS bike that after a few rides I am pretty sure I like way less than my 29er HT, but I'll be taking it on its maiden voyage in B street. If it doesn't help me there, I doubt I'll like it anywhere.

mtbr member
    May 2010

A few of my friends ride 29ers. I just finished building my 26er full suspension. Coming from 26 hardtail I have never been happier. I bet 29ers roll nice

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Great day! Can't wait to come back! Thanks again for showing us around.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Hoping my parts come in so I can hit up batch this week

mtbr member
    You guys were fun man, great day, no matter how hard I am on myself

mtbr member
    May 2010

Ed how was the full suspension at batch compared to the 29er hardtail?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Unfortunately, when I went to load the bike into the car, I realized that the rear shock had very little air in it, and since I've never had a FS bike, I had no pump that would refill it. So I rode the 29er instead. Tomorrow I'm riding in Ipswich, but I may get back out to B street with the 26er on friday.

I didn't ride the most technical stuff, I guess maybe Jacob's Ladder was the hardest trail I was on. No real issues other than on a number of the uphills - I guess having FS could help if it allows more power to actually get directed to the trail by absorbing the bumps. But of course FS may actually make power transfer worse, and the 26 inch wheels will also have a different dynamic. We shall see.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    You guys were fun man, great day, no matter how hard I am on myself
    You guys all killed it! I had a blast as well. Hoping to get out there on some type of regular basis, it's really nice having the bigger climbs/descents. Next time I'll be packing more food!

mtbr member
    My 29" hardtail is much, much, much better than my 26" FS bike was (bye bye)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am not a great technical rider, but that's been my impression on the four rides so far as well, Paul. I only started riding mountain last year so I never rode 26ers other than just around town. I was speculating that tight turns would be easier on the 26er, but I didn't find that to be the case. A B street ride with the 26er will be the final test.

mtbr member
    May 2010

My next will prolly be a 27.5.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Was over at earls exploring new trails i haven't ridden before yesterday. What a nice day it was to be out and in the woods. Hoping to ride again this week.