Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Ashland and Callahan SP

Through NEMBA, I'm looking to strengthen some relationships between riders and Ashland/ Callahan State Parks.

My first pitch will be to help coordinate a trail day at one of the parks to address some areas that need a little TLC or possibly some bridge work. If you ride either of the parks and can think of areas to address, please share them here.

ASHLAND:
    - On the westerly inlet turning north, sustainable crossing is needed over a consistently muddy passage

CALLAHAN:
    - Perpetually wet crossing at bottom of Juniper and Rocky Road needs a bridge to prevent further erosion

Thanks!
    Riding bikes rules!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I occasionally ride Callahan and would definitely be interested in helping out. I know that area you are referring to and its pretty bad. Last time I was at Callahan there was a pretty big tree down on the Hawk Trail.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I know that area. It's always been like that in the 20 years I've been riding callahan. Maybe hikers, runners and dog walkers would be able to help too

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TomB15 View Post
    I occasionally ride Callahan and would definitely be interested in helping out. I know that area you are referring to and its pretty bad. Last time I was at Callahan there was a pretty big tree down on the Hawk Trail.
    The big tree on the SW Hawk climb is gone, fortunately!
    Riding bikes rules!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    FYI - NEMBA group ride tonight (7/20) at Ashalnd SP. 6pm by the main gate (parking lot next to the soccer field). Novice/ intermediate pace around the lake and then we'll see how hot and tired we are; helmets required.
    Riding bikes rules!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    FYI - NEMBA group ride Monday 7/27 at Callahan SP - North Side. 6pm at the Edmunds Road Lot. Novice/ intermediate pace over Gibbs Mountain and then let's see where the trails take us! Helmets are required. Info can be found on the BVNEMBA Facebook page.
    Riding bikes rules!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Last night I noticed (almost ran in to) a huge tree down on the trail that goes around the pond on the North side of Callahan.

Also, does anyone know what is going on next to the trail that climbs Gibbs Mountain? Looks like they are clearing out a lot of land for something.