mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Anyone think the HP nemba loop will be ok to ride this weekend?

I've never been there early spring so I don't know when it dries out enough to ride without tearing it apart. I'm mostly interested in that really rocky loop with the yellow arrows.

thanks!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mgunstudios
    I've never been there early spring so I don't know when it dries out enough to ride without tearing it apart. I'm mostly interested in that really rocky loop with the yellow arrows.

thanks!
    its been great for the past several weeks, rode there last Sunday

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    nice. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

thanks!
    I just rode that loop on Sunday as well- totally dry and beautiful! only water to be found was on the tin shack trail, and the fire road. Going back up tomorrow myself with a buddy. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I did a full lap there on Monday before the rain - hit up east side/Jenkins, west side/125 and gun club. There was some grease here and there but easy to walk around. The connector from the Jenkins lot to the west side was under water at the end, but the rest was really in pretty good shape. Major props to all the builders who work at HP, specifically Joe - the only guy I continually run into working on the trails. The drainage is amazing and the lines are great. It's a model for good trail building.

That said, if it rains again Friday and stays cold, the best time to ride over the weekend would be early saturday morning when the ground may still be hard or late Sunday afternoon when it's had time to dry up a bit. Let's hope the trees start sucking up this water quickly as everything starts to bud/bloom.

mtbr member

Anyone been there this weekend?

We have a bunch of rain coming so I am hoping to get a ride in on the Jenkins lot side. Anyone been there yesterday or today? How was it? Thanks!

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Was over there yesterday. Yellow diamond trail was fine. Trails across the street form Jenkins had a lot of standing water. Did not make it over to the gun club trails but they seem to hold more water as well.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Where's the NEMBA trail at HP?!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    Where's the NEMBA trail at HP?!
    There really isn't a NEMBA "trail" or "loop" at HP. North Shore NEMBA has built and maintains a significant portion of the single track at HP. There is a yellow blaze loop that goes out of the Jenkins lot and loops around Salem Pond. This loop represents a portion of the east side, then there is the west side & gun club side which are not blazed, ignoring any Bay Circuit blazing. So the yellow loop is just a small portion of HP.

By the way, NS NEMBA will be building a new trail on the gun club this spring, called "Lock & Load". Trail days are scheduled for April 10th & 11th. The new trail should contain a lot of nice technical features. Contact info is listed on the NEMBA events page...

http://www.nemba.org/nembaevents/events.html

- Kirk

mtbr member
    Does anyone have an update on the conditions here? A few of us are thinking about making a trip up there this weekend but probably wont if the trails are still holding a lot of water. We're looking to do the Wicked Ride loop. Thanks!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    Does anyone have an update on the conditions here? A few of us are thinking about making a trip up there this weekend but probably wont if the trails are still holding a lot of water. We're looking to do the Wicked Ride loop. Thanks!
    the yellow diamond (east side ) was fine Saturday. I dont know about the west side, I saw riders but dont know the conditions. The lower trails near the ponds are probably bad
    the Wicked ride loop was on both sides

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Dan0. That's great news that the east side is looking good. I figured the area around the ponds would be pretty bad. Can anyone speak to the conditions of the west side? We'd like to ride more than the yellow diamond loop if possibe. Again, thanks everyone.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    Thanks for the info Dan0. That's great news that the east side is looking good. I figured the area around the ponds would be pretty bad. Can anyone speak to the conditions of the west side? We'd like to ride more than the yellow diamond loop if possibe. Again, thanks everyone.
    the gun club trails are good also, just a couple of streams to ford to get there
    I saw some bikes on the other side but wasnt close enough to ask

or you could do the yellow diamond forward and back for 17 miles

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    how long does it usually take to do the 17 mile loop....

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb
    how long does it usually take to do the 17 mile loop....
    depends on fitness level and what type of rider , Id say roughly 4+ hrs

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I thought the yellow diamond trail ran from the pond out to the loop and back. that doesn't seem like 17 miles and we do the loop twice in two hours. Am I missing part of the trail?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I thought the yellow diamond trail ran from the pond out to the loop and back. that doesn't seem like 17 miles and we do the loop twice in two hours. Am I missing part of the trail?
    we start from the Jenkins rd parking lot, go across the field take first right ( yellow diamond) follow the trails which criss cross some dirt roads, there will be yellow diamonds at each trail head, once you get past Terry and Terry 2 you can follow the diamonds which will head you back or you can go up to the next left and catch a couple more trails, then hook back in to the diamonds, by the time you get back to the lot its 7-8 miles, then reverse, or head up to the gun club trails ( berry pond rd , look for a trail on right close to end. this will cross over the rd and will take you out to trails) there are maps online or at the main office
    these 2 loops are pretty knarly and a good workout, I'd be impressed if you did all that in a day and werent tired

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    we start from the Jenkins rd parking lot, go across the field take first right ( yellow diamond) follow the trails which criss cross some dirt roads, there will be yellow diamonds at each trail head, once you get past Terry and Terry 2 you can follow the diamonds which will head you back or you can go up to the next left and catch a couple more trails, then hook back in to the diamonds, by the time you get back to the lot its 7-8 miles, then reverse, or head up to the gun club trails ( berry pond rd , look for a trail on right close to end. this will cross over the rd and will take you out to trails) there are maps online or at the main office
    these 2 loops are pretty knarly and a good workout, I'd be impressed if you did all that in a day and werent tired

or you can jump in on my 40 mile HP to Ward Epic coming in the summer. All the hits are covered.
    Voltron

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    or you can jump in on my 40 mile HP to Ward Epic coming in the summer. All the hits are covered.
    damn, I thought the hero ride was rough at 21 miles

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    trails in general have finally started drying out of eastern MA. should be good.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    although it rained all day today....
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert