mtbr member
    May 2009

Anyone still riding Wompatuck?

Ive been getting out on tuesdays morning. Trails arent in bad shape. Few wet areas but not too bad. I have yet to ride with anyone out here in the past 5 years ive lived in the area. Anyone find themselves there regularly? groups? anything??
    2009 Scott Scale 20
    2005 S-works Epic

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i went there for the first time yesterday. some really fun stuff out there. like i said i haven't been there before but it seemed kinda wet and without any local knowledge i didn't know which trails to avoid and get to the dryer stuff.

Just a flesh wound

Main lot Saturday 8:30

I ride with 6 or 7 guys on Saturday mornings out of main lot next to Visitor's center. Feel free to join. We go for 2 hours or more. Lots of stuff out there and we have explored most of it a few times. Some of us go at night this time of year. Great fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    at night.... you are out of your mind going at night this time of year. it is cold enough as it is at like noon nevermind if you go at night.

that main lot is where i left from and pretty much went on like a 1.5 hour loop that took me in a big circle past prospect hill and then on the circle back i found a place that seemed to ahve alot of freeride type stuff. i was alone and don't have my new ride yet but some if it looked really fun. kinda hard to get a good workout though cause i had to check my trail map every 20 minutes cause i have a awefull sense of direction.

thanks for the offer to ride with you, when the wether gets better in like march i will definately take you up on it.

Just a flesh wound

Warm enough

If it's above freezing then no problem. When it's below, the ice is tricky at night. But good fun. The key is to keep moving. You only get cold when you stop. Fortunately we have been riding Wompy long enough to not have to stop to look at a map. A good light is super critical. I made my own LED with 400+ lumens. I used to ride with a niterider halogen (150 lumens) . Worked OK but..

mtbr member
    May 2009
    adumb..... did I see you in the parking lot on your way out on tues? If so I was parked next to you and just getting back as you were packing up.

Id love to ride saturdays, but I work all day unfortunately. When do you guys do your night rides? Im going to pick up a new light set. I used to do the 24 hours of N.E. and Canaan, but that was about 10 years ago. Compared to technology now I may as well have ziptied a key chain light to my bars

I do know the area fairly well as I have been riding there for a few years. I generally ride the perimeter of the park from the main parking lot. Head towards the reservoir, around and up prospect, back towards parking, cut through middle of park back towards south field, and loop back up the reservoir side. Theres definately some stuff in the middle of the park i generally havent explored yet.
    2009 Scott Scale 20
    2005 S-works Epic

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i left there at like 2 and don't remember their being many cars in the parking lot at all.

i won't be out there until it is above 40.... my days of torturing myself in bad conditions are over, i did that with motocross and don't plan on doing it again.

how cheap can some of the diy light setups be made for? riding at night sounds like fun.

Just a flesh wound

$50 to $100

Parts and battery pack. The lights DIY forum has a lot to offer. Good project for the winter. Built the little one here for $45. 200 lumens ( my 10 year old daughter did a lot of the work)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone still riding Wompatuck?-littlelite.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    damn thats really cool!! nice job
    2009 Scott Scale 20
    2005 S-works Epic

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    I'l heading out there xmas day!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    I'l heading out there xmas day!
    Snowshoeing?

Just a flesh wound

Cross Counrty

Skiing! That's the thing to do until it melts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anyone been to Wompy lately? I pretty sure most of the snow is gone south of Boston. I was thinking of taking a break from skiing and riding Saturday.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    anyone?
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    No firsthand knowledge but I'm told that there is still a lot of snow cover. Plymouth and the Cape is all rideabe so I've been going down there.

Just a flesh wound

99.9% rideable

100% with studs. I rode with four of us today for a couple of hours. Trails are in good shape. A little snow and ice in spots, but I have no studs and it was great.