Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008

Anyone doing the D2R2?

Well?

mtbr member
    I'm not registered, but might get a meal ticket and do the course.

abc
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    I'm not registered, but might get a meal ticket and do the course.
    ???

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    I support ya' C! Wake up early and do the full with me! I can't seem to find anyone who wants to ride it with me? What's that about?

That said, I rode the 90% of the course on Sunday... wow.

Give me a ring, I'm going to try to do another big ride this weekend.

underachiever
    Wish I could, but I'm away that weekend. Last year's event had amazing weather and I did the 100K with a few friends on this, the perfect D2R2 beast:

It sold out this year and it's nice to see so many people interested in such a challenging and beautiful ride that supports a great organization. The Berkshire Brewery beer is also a nice benefit of riding the D2R2.

I hope y'all have wonderful weather this year!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    hi all
    any suggestions on tires for this event. Im thinking of riding my cyclocross bike (or is it fine on a normal road bike)?
    thanks

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    I think it depends on which course you ride.

Last year I did the little one (100k). With the exception of the first climb and final descent I would have been fine on 25's or 28's. Cross tires will gain you some time on the descents, but there's at least 20miles of pavement and the course isn't that rough. The gearing is the main thing. Depending on your level of fitness a 50-39 by with a wide cassette may be ok. That said, the closer to 1:1 you get, the less unpleasant the day gets as you hit hour four (or six). Last year I had a 32 out back and felt awesome but would have been fine with a 27.

For the full I'm running cross tires, low rolling resistance ones are nice. There's a lot of very steep dirt (both up and down) and this years weather, while removing a lot of rubble has led to a fair amount of washboard. Just nice to have the traction and a bit of cush. I'm sure someone on road tires cleared all the hills, but I can't really wrap my head around how that's possible. Gearing for the big one seems crucial. I'm going to run a full compact and a 34 out back. It's a lot of climbing. And very very steep climbing. Tires and gearing worked great last weekend, especially on Archambo (27%). I, personally, wouldn't do the full without being close to 1:1.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    We missed the 600 rider cutoff - probably still going to show up day of and ride. I've long supported the Land Trust, so won't feel guilty about not paying.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Super, thanks for ths info.
    For gearing, my lowest will be 36x27- Im hoping this will be low enough? What do you think? To go any lower, it'd mean putting a mtb cassette on, and Im not sure if my rear derailleur (road one) would handle a rear cassetee with 32 or 34 teeth on it?

Quote Originally Posted by olapiquena
    I think it depends on which course you ride.

Last year I did the little one (100k). With the exception of the first climb and final descent I would have been fine on 25's or 28's. Cross tires will gain you some time on the descents, but there's at least 20miles of pavement and the course isn't that rough. The gearing is the main thing. Depending on your level of fitness a 50-39 by with a wide cassette may be ok. That said, the closer to 1:1 you get, the less unpleasant the day gets as you hit hour four (or six). Last year I had a 32 out back and felt awesome but would have been fine with a 27.

For the full I'm running cross tires, low rolling resistance ones are nice. There's a lot of very steep dirt (both up and down) and this years weather, while removing a lot of rubble has led to a fair amount of washboard. Just nice to have the traction and a bit of cush. I'm sure someone on road tires cleared all the hills, but I can't really wrap my head around how that's possible. Gearing for the big one seems crucial. I'm going to run a full compact and a 34 out back. It's a lot of climbing. And very very steep climbing. Tires and gearing worked great last weekend, especially on Archambo (27%). I, personally, wouldn't do the full without being close to 1:1.

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mooksy
    Super, thanks for ths info.
    For gearing, my lowest will be 36x27- Im hoping this will be low enough? What do you think? To go any lower, it'd mean putting a mtb cassette on, and Im not sure if my rear derailleur (road one) would handle a rear cassetee with 32 or 34 teeth on it?
    Again, I think it just comes down to which ride you are doing, your level of fitness, and your idea for the day (ie. for straight up fun or for real time).

Are you doing the big one or small?

HadoPV's son probably did the big one last year with like a 39-23 as his low.

ps. your road derailleur most likely won't handle a 32 or 34. I used an old 9spd brifter that and an old mangled XT mtb derailleur (Apex, before Apex).

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Im entered in the big one, but unfortunately my training has not gone to plan the last month or so due to a case of patella tendonitis; so I may end up switching down to the 100k instead - which looking at the route, still seems fairly epic
    Current intent is now to do it on the cyclocross bike, with 36x28 low gearing, and with 28mm tires (conti gatorskin) - which should suit given their being plenty of pavement aswell!
    should be an awesome ride though - am looking forward to it.

Again, I think it just comes down to which ride you are doing, your level of fitness, and your idea for the day (ie. for straight up fun or for real time).

Are you doing the big one or small?

HadoPV's son probably did the big one last year with like a 39-23 as his low.

ps. your road derailleur most likely won't handle a 32 or 34. I used an old 9spd brifter that and an old mangled XT mtb derailleur (Apex, before Apex).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yea Jason, I think Matt had a 11 25 in the back and a 53-39 in the front on his Skeletor with 23mm tires. He told me cleaned everything in the 100 mile ride. I, on my Cross bike with a 36 in the front with an 11-27 walked a bunch of the 100k last year. But then I have 30 years and 30 pounds on him.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No need for us to poach - late openings today and it looks like Team Green is in. Now I have to tell Stef we'll miss day 1 of the DAR event. She'll be pissed...
    NEMBA Past President...

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Carolynn's going to the DAR, so... looks like I'll be soaking my legs in the pond and not the river. Well, maybe it will have to be both.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Bike's Ready

The bike is built up, 2009 GT Type CX, SLX 11-36 10speed cassette, Ultegra Rear Mech, DA Shifters. The rest is pretty much stock.

Now is it too late to worry about fitness?!
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    An Ultegra will get up on a 36t cog, huh? Neat.

Sure hope you've got a steel freehub body underneath that cassette, H. Otherwise, don't expect to remove it without lots of swearing and hammering.

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Ha! I was thinking the same thing. I hate those hubcaps. But they do work.

Smelly, sorry I never called you back. I've been having some ankle problems and have been off the bike for a bit (just in time for my comprehensive exams). I'll stop in today and chat.

That said, got out last night on the D2R2 war horse:

Salsa Casserole, 9 speed Ultegra shifters, 11-34 sram cassette, 8spd (circa 1999) XT rear der., Compact 10speed 105 Crank , and Michelin Muds that wrap up a pair of Roval Pave's. Tank bike.

Total Schmorgisborg build...

Took it out last night for some 'trail' riding up in Conway State and the Smith College lands in West Whately.

Oh yeah, unless my ankle doesn't hurt after I ride I'm on the 100k ride again.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    An Ultegra will get up on a 36t cog, huh? Neat.

Totally - what a 1x10 option for the Cross Season.

The LX cassette has the 28, 32 and 36 on a carrier, no worries on the Hub Body.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm doing the 100K at a leisurely pace. Taking my cross bike with 35mm paselas. I have a triple on it so gearing won't be a problem. Really looking forward to this ride!

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Harold! What happened? How's your face?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Harold! What happened? How's your face?

Face is a mess. Scraped and bruised nose, pretty nasty gouge I bit out of my lower lip.
    Hitting a 1' deep hole at 15 mph on a gravel road is never a good thing. I should really watch where the front wheel is tracking on variable terrain and not try to read the signs on the side of the road.

Happened so fast I never took my hands off the hoods - If I had I'd have surely taken out a collar bone.
    NEMBA Past President...

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but... considering the alternative, I'm glad you landed on your face (and didn't break your nose). Both Carolynn and I wish you speedy healing.

I heard through the grapevine that at least two collar-bones were broken yesterday.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the good wishes. I understand Stef's event was wonderful and am bumming I missed out on the fun.

H
    NEMBA Past President...