Know any good trails?

New question here. Anybody ever ride Midstate Trail?

I'm looking for information about the Midstate Trail in MA.

I first noticed it when my girlfriend and I were riding Hodges Village Dam's trails (some fun ones there ) and wanted to know if anyone had biked this?

I was thinking of picking up the trail in Hodges again, then ride it up to the Spencer area. Then I should be able to pick up Wells State and then my house in Sturbridge.

Thoughts?
    Me: "You're welcome to sleep over here in the A/C."
    Her: "I appreciate the offer, but I will just sleep in the tent."

evs
    mtbr member

I rode part of it.

[I started at Wallum Lake and went north for 8 miles to the northern tip of Douglas State Park.Nice single track.But I turned around and did the reverse park to the parking lot.It's pretty technical (rock garndens) in some places and nice single track.How was the section you rode? If you do a search on the web, there is a site that sells a book of the whole trail.It cuts through the state ending at Mt Monadnock
    if I remember correctly.

evs
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

Know any good trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by evs
    [I started at Wallum Lake and went north for 8 miles to the northern tip of Douglas State Park.Nice single track.But I turned around and did the reverse park to the parking lot.It's pretty technical (rock garndens) in some places and nice single track.How was the section you rode? If you do a search on the web, there is a site that sells a book of the whole trail.It cuts through the state ending at Mt Monadnock
    if I remember correctly.

evs
    I rode a section in Hodges Village Dam in Oxford. The section was primarily a cart road, but connected to single track. Similar condition as you described - rocky, roots in sections, sandy. Kept me paying attention . Good berms in places, too.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Me: "You're welcome to sleep over here in the A/C."
    Her: "I appreciate the offer, but I will just sleep in the tent."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hodges?? sure--ive picked it up off of the back access road that goes into the rock crushing plant. goes along a river or creek and very tricky riding. it goes along and sort of skirts around next to the rock crushing plant, crosses the old rail bed and continues on til i think it comes out on rocky hill road. like evs mentioned a very nice part of it in DSP as well. nice chunk of it in rutland state park too. i may be wrong, but i dont think it goes into wells SP at all

mtbr member
    Bike magazine actually did an article about the midstate @ 3 yrs ago. The parts around Hodges aren't necessarily the best. Recommened route which I've done a handful of times starts off of rt 2 at the Wachusett Inn. You can either do an out and back on rocky, hilly singletrack, or ride your mtb @ 9 miles on the road (nice ride) to a spot close to the NH border (either way going south to north, then back). You can then ride singletrack for @20 miles back to your car. Not an easy day. Bring plenty of water and food. You can also tie in a climb heading north to NH up a fire road with awesome mtn views.

I was gonna post you an mtbr link to trail reviews, but, shockinly there aren't any for this. I'd check w/some shops out in that area. Worth spending a day.

Ortiz has a posse!!!! Go Sox!
    Last edited by Scott O; 09-16-2005 at 07:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i agree. except for that one little section off of the access road heading south (1/4--1/2 mile stretch?), its sort of a snoozer.-- on the other hand, the MS trail in douglas SP i'll pretty much match with anything as far as rock riding, especially if you throw in the small spur to the tr-state marker( i know -thats cheating)-- the stretch in rutland SP is probably my favorite, tho, with a good mix of all and it comes around and makes a nice loop with minimal road riding.-- now this section you describe in at wachussett inn im gonna have to try someday, sounds like nice stuff