mtbr member
    Apr 2010

any shuttle runs around new england?

I'm in search of a good shuttle run, like a nice long descent. After talking to my cousin whos been out in montana, said they have a run they do that takes close to an hour to descend. Id be willing to go just about anywhere around new england for something like that or close to it. Definitely not happening in eastern mass though.

blet drive
    Good luck on the hunt. Do you not want lift service?
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    no i enjoy highland and burke mtn but Id just love to try something different

Big Gulps, Alright!
    The northeast really doesn't have the elevation for anything like that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i mean i dont expect it anywhere close to home, but theres gotta be potential up in vt/nh/maine

mtbr member
    Definitely potential, but the reality is that most mountains in NE don't have roads going up them. I've driven to the top of Burke Mt, but it has a lift and I don't know if the road is always open. Mt Washington has a road, but I really don't think there are MTB trails, or if it's even open to bikes.

Try posting in the NH, VT, ME forum if you haven't already. There might be some secret spot somewhere.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can string together some long-ish DH runs at sunday River that really make you feel like you came down a mountain; gotta have a good game on steep and tech stuff for a fair bit of it though. Nothing like an hour though if you're able to do it non-stop at a good pace, but there are routes that definitely eat up the better part of one for most mortal riders. If you're lucky, there's a shuttle going from the top of the lift, but usually, it's a pretty good push on foot above the regular lift-service terrain.
    Used to be able to do some nice long runs at Killington too, combining their lift and a shuttle vehicle, but I haven't been there in a long time; not sure what's up now. Whiteface has some really long runs, good amount of elevation.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Go west, young man.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Like others of said there's not going to be any 5,000'+ descents around here, but there are 2,000 plus descents to be had. The most popular I believe is Burke, I saw the lift mentioned on here but the lift doesn't go to the top, they only run what I call the beginner ski lift for biking. If you want a 20ish minute DH run get up to the top and head down J-Bar, DH or the Free Ride trail off the top of Burke.

Another option should be Whiteface, with a lift. This will give you about 2500' of descending. If you're willing to drive for shuttling why not drive for a lift? Although you wont descend 5,000 in one run I can promise you'll do more descending in a day of lift access at whiteface than a day of shuttling with a truck out west... Just food for thought.

Here is what Burke looks like, just over 2000 descending - Mountain Bike Ride Profile | upper j-bar near Burke | Times and Records | Strava

Whiteface: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Lift access DH @ Whiteface Mt - brutal double diamond hard m+ near Wilmington | Times and Records | Strava

Killington will get you about 1700 Mountain Bike Ride Profile | DH...on the XC bike near Killington | Times and Records | Strava

Here's the catch about places like Montana, Arizona, Utah etc... Yes you can descend a mile, but for me it's about the quality of the ride as much as the length. I lived out west most of my life and I love going out there to ride but I can tell you anytime I've shuttled a massive hill like you're looking for I run into a lot of fairly dull portions, where I'm basically going mach 5 down a fire road or almost completely flat/dull singletrack. Not to say it isn't fun, but don't think you're doing 5,000' of the NE style trail at Highland, there's nothing like that I know of, save Whistler perhaps? Not sure since I've never been there.

I've never felt that I can't get to nice long descents in New England, they're just not quite as epic as what you can get to out west.

Here was one of my favorites in Utah, but again technically speaking I'd rather hit 2,000 of J-bar a few times because you get a lot more fun technical sections than you do on the Wasatch crest trail. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Wasatch Crest Part 2 near Brighton | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I biked up and down Mount Sunapee in NH a few weeks ago on my slayer. Pretty rough climb but the view is great and the downhill was pretty fun. Not really recommended unless you're an expert rider though as there are a few sections that are incredibly hairy and nearly impassable via bike.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    I biked up and down Mount Sunapee in NH a few weeks ago on my slayer. Pretty rough climb but the view is great and the downhill was pretty fun. Not really recommended unless you're an expert rider though as there are a few sections that are incredibly hairy and nearly impassable via bike.
    What were the trails like coming down shred? Anything mtb specific or just steep/loose/rocky none mtb specific stuff?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Go west, young man.
    So he's looking for shuttle runs in NE and you post up a trail in Utah?!?!?
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    What were the trails like coming down shred? Anything mtb specific or just steep/loose/rocky none mtb specific stuff?
    Well I decided to take the rockiest route (I thought it would be the most fun) but I wish I hadn't. I would describe the trail i took as "hiker-specific" lol. There is a trail at sunapee called "andrew brook trail" that I wish I would have taken instead. Its 1.8 miles long but Im not sure how the terrain is. Definitely some steep descents just not sure if they are way too gnarly for bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You can drive a car all the way up Berkshire East and 2/3 of the way to the top of the other 2 of the Peaks in the Charlemont Trails system (a rugged 4wd vehicle all the way). A half a dozen MTB designed options with around 1000' of elevation change each.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...