mtbr member
    Sep 2009

any riders from the waltham/newton area?

hi there. I'm kind of new to the area and live in Waltham. I'm from upstate NY originally, and then spent two years living in the Berkshires and am now looking for places/people to ride with out here. I'm only interested in cross country-type stuff--I'm big into climbing. any ideas or suggestions?

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I'm not too far away. I live over in Somerville but I'm not totally sure what type of riding it out your way. I've been to Lynn Woods, The Fells and Vietnam so far but that's about it. I justed moved here a bout 5 weeks ago so I'm looking for people to ride with as well. I do a lot of DH and AM but I also like long XC rides too. Basically if I'm on a mtn bike it's a good day for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    lynn woods seems like a lot of freeriding, what are the fells and vietnam like?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you are looking for climbing Blue Hills is where you want to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    cool! I've actually been hiking there before, and my wife's folks told me a long time ago that I should go biking there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Cutler Park in Needham is a pretty good, http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/metrob...cutlerPark.htm. Not a lot of climbing but you can get a nice flow going.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Lynn Woods has free riding but it's huge, there is a lot of straight climbing too. At least thats my impression the 3 or so times I've been out there. The fells is also pretty big and there is no free riding what so ever there. It's pretty long and flat drawn out climbs. It's off 93 a few miles north of the city. Pretty easy to find. I've heard about Blue Hills I'd definetly be interested in checking it out. You planning on riding Sat? Sun looks like it could be a wash out with the rain coming.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602
    Lynn Woods has free riding but it's huge, there is a lot of straight climbing too. At least thats my impression the 3 or so times I've been out there. The fells is also pretty big and there is no free riding what so ever there. It's pretty long and flat drawn out climbs. It's off 93 a few miles north of the city. Pretty easy to find. I've heard about Blue Hills I'd definetly be interested in checking it out. You planning on riding Sat? Sun looks like it could be a wash out with the rain coming.

*sigh* my problem is that I am a retail manager, and switch back and forth between working 3pm-1am and working 6am-4pm. And have wednesdays and thursdays off, but work weekends, so I basically have to go riding when nobody else can. if you can ride on wed. or thu. let me know!

Designated Bleeder

Good XC riding near Boston

I've been living and riding in the Boston area for 10 years. I have pretty much ridden everywhere there is to ride. So here are my XC ride suggestions:

Harold Parker State Forest in Andover, MA - One of the best places to ride in the Boston area. You can easily put down 25 miles plus without riding the same trail twice. Its good old fashion New England technical XC singletrack

Middlesex Fells in Malden/Medford, MA - Decent riding there, especially for being so close to the city. It gets ridden heavily so the singletrack is a little wide but its good XC territory.

Willowdale in Ipswich, MA - Its a bit of a drive from Boston but has great XC singletrack

Foxboro State Forest in Foxboro, MA - Lots and lots of XC singletrack

There are many more but those are my favorites for XC.

If you are only an XC rider, I would stay away from Lynn Woods and Vietnam. Both are a technical rider's paradise but if you only have an XC bike you are going to suffer a bit. Lynn Woods and Vietnam are my favorite riding locations in Massachusetts but they decidedly not XC areas.

Check out the NEMBA website for more trail options: http://www.nemba.org/ridingzone/places-ma.html

If you need a guide just about anywhere in Mass. I ride every weekend. Just let me know...

Chris

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ckhtiger
    *sigh* my problem is that I am a retail manager, and switch back and forth between working 3pm-1am and working 6am-4pm. And have wednesdays and thursdays off, but work weekends, so I basically have to go riding when nobody else can. if you can ride on wed. or thu. let me know!
    I travel quite a bit for work but when I'm in town I can def go on Weds and Thurs after work, normally around 4. I went today around 4 it gives you a good 2.5-3 hours before the sun is too far gone to keep riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    awesome, thanks for the tips! what would be your opinion/thoughts on blue hills? and yes, I only have an xc bike. while it's dual suspension, it's a santa cruz superlight, so it's not a big-hit type of ride.

mtbr member
    I work in Waltham and ride Weston Woods regularly. Info here:

http://www.nemba.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23570

Check out Catrock on the map for some good climbing.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

Designated Bleeder

Blue Hills

Blue Hills is pretty cool for hiking but biking is a bit restricted. If you went rogue and rode off the legal trails, it would be a great place to ride. Lots of rocks and steep descents. But don't do that!!!!

Riding the legal trails is decent and you will be fine on an XC bike. Personally though, for a nice ride close to the city, I prefer Middlesex Fells.

mtbr member
    Blue Hills has tons of climbing, but a majority of the trails are washed out fire roads.

I'd disagree that Vietnam is not good for xc riders. The trails built for free riding are incredible, but there are also miles and miles and hard packed flowy stuff that works great on a rigid SS.

You're also close to Hale Reservation/Noanet Woods. Google up info on Private Reserve as well in Lexington/Bedford.