mtbr member
    Mar 2010

any organized rides near Waltham?

Am new to mtn biking and would love to go along with a group (such as the NEMBA rides I see posted on this forum) to get familiar with any trails than may be local to me.

Would appreciate any recommendations - thanks!

mtbr member
    I work in Waltham near the Weston line and can show you the trails out this way.

http://www.westonforesttrail.org/interactiveMap.html
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    There is some awesome riding in Wayland, Weston and Lincoln and you can loop through all three towns with very minimal street riding required.

I recommend taking up Boudy's offer to show you around weston woods and the tracks; great riding there. Be aware that most of the trails around here are maze-like and it's incredibly easy to get lost.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Good to know! I look forward to seeing the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am new to Waltham and would be interested in seein some trails nearby. Ive been riding at the fells and wompatuck the most and have been enjoying them. Post up if you guys get something organized.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Count me in for future rides

I'm also in Waltham and looking for new trails/people to ride with. Let's get some rides going this summer! I'm an intermediate that does mainly XC. My favorite places to ride are Wompatuck, the Fells, Foxboro...

I'd love to learn the local trails for mid-week rides after work and such. Let me know if you guys are meeting up soon (Maybe even on Monday if you have the holiday off?)

mtbr member

Last summer I led a weekly NEMBA ride in Weston from my office...

I don't live in the area so weekends and holidays are out for me, and I'm away on vacation all next weed. But we can startup up on Monday 7 June or Wed 9 June. I'll provide details later on.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member

Posted ride info on NEMBA

http://www.nemba.org/forums/showthre...973#post183973

Please PM me there when you want to ride.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd be interested in joining up. I'm really close the Fells. Let me know what you guys decide on.

mtbr member
    anyone up for a ride this evening?

mtbr member

No can do, Todd...

I'm having dinner with Penelope tonight
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member

Anyone want to ride this coming Monday (6/21) and/or Wednesday (6/23)?

Work bike hasn't seen any action yet this season, d'oh.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Boudy: my work schedule sucks but I still have your offer in mind. Next week's no good either, but maybe the week after?? Let me know how that looks

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

What time?

Boudy,

What time were you thinking about heading out (today Wed. 23rd)? Also, about how long of a ride? I might be able to go depending on timing. I'm free Friday after work, and I know it's supposed to be nice out. With about a days notice, I can usually get out of work a little early (sorry I missed your post this last time!). Let me know. Haven't ridden dirt forever!!

mtbr member
    No plans set, you're the first person the respond. So far Friday evening is also OK.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Friday

Let's shoot for Friday instead since I'm pretty busy today. What time do you usually get there? I can get there by ~5 or 6 depending on my day/traffic. I'd probably be down for a solid 1-2 hour ride, trail difficulty permitting! Let me know if this works for you and we'll lock down the details...

mtbr member
    The ride starts at my office building so I'll already be here. Earlier is better, a 5:15 start would be good but it can be later.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Last weekend I finally got to explore the trails that boudy and metacomet were so helpful to point out. Starting at Jones Rd, Waltham, I rode through Weston, turned around somewhere in Wayland and back to Waltham - excellent single track! Seems like I went at blazing speed it was a pleasure to ride (took one decent spill, irreparably warped the rear rim, but worth it!).

This trail is a beaut. But I didn't happen to see any turn-off's cutting north toward Lincoln, so please let me know if that's to be done on one of the few street crossings or a dirt trail heading that way. Also, how farther west does this trail go?

Thanks again to you folks for pointing out the nice terrain!

mtbr member
    That's great to hear, Overmodulated! I'm glad you got out on the trail. Enjoy it while it's still there because they are going to eventually pave that all over when they get the rail trail going. Could be a few more years but who knows.

You can really get your speed up heading east, starting from the old weston train station to the railroad bridge. I always like to push myself there.

It's really complicated to explain how to get to Lincoln trails. Like I mentioned before, it's a maze in there. The trail crosses over gleezen lane (not easy to find), which takes you to lincoln road. Lincoln road is an entirely different trail system which we would mostly bypass to get to Lincoln. After a little road riding (Lincoln road is awesome and there is a sidewalk. It's probably 1 mile until you get back on the trails), you get to the Codman Estate, which itself is another trail system. That takes you up by Walden pond which in turn takes you around the reservoir, which leads to the DeCordova Museum, (also awesome) Which loops back to Codman Estate and Lincoln road and back into Weston woods. Its a wonderful ride.

If you follow the trail west past the Wayland Library it will take you as far as "Buddy Dog" on route 20 in Sudbury. The views are very cool on this trail, but there isn't a nice dirt path that is typical of the rest of the trail. You have to ride on the tracks and that can be painful on the buttocks.

The trail actually goes all the way to the Fort Devens Wildlife Refuge annex, which borders sudbury, hudson and stow. However, it's near impossible to get that far because the trail is so overgrown.

Shoot me an email if you want a guide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    took to the trail again today - some great riding in there. was greeted by a coyote somewhere between Waltham and Weston - he kept his distance and kept his eye on me. found an extensive network of trails in Weston, with more forks and options than I could keep straight, so I ended up having to turn around and get back to the main rail trail for fear of getting lost (I remembered the warnings.)

definietly have to do more exploring through those Weston woods trails. and although I went further on the main RR track trail, I still didn't get to the terminus. possibly next time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by overmodulated
    found an extensive network of trails in Weston, with more forks and options than I could keep straight, so I ended up having to turn around and get back to the main rail trail for fear of getting lost (I remembered the warnings.)
    If you took a right into the first double track after passing under Concord Rd, (traveling eastbound) then this section of the map contains those trails:

http://www.westonforesttrail.org/jer...activeMap.html

I'm still available to ride after work on most Mondays and Wednesdays.

I've never ridden the single track along the train tracks all the way down, that's my least favorite part of the ride, I find it quite boring.

I think replacing that abandoned track with a rail trail will be A Really Good Thing overall. Last time the rail trail was attempted the Weston Snobs shot it down, I wonder how they are making out this time around.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks. You mean hook a right while traveling westbound, right? I actually ventured into those trails once and quickly realized there were a lot of turns to remember, so I didn't get very deep into the woods before turning around. I won't be able to ride for at least another week but would definitely like to explore them.

I happen to like the straight single-track rail trail because you're out in the open and can move a great speed on fairly level dirt, which is a real treat once in a while to open up the throttle and let the engine breathe.

Will look you up when I'm back in action and able to get out there. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Can any give me directions to these trail heads from Bentley University? I really need to get back onto the trails