mtbr member

Any Mass 29er's???

Took my rigid 96 Klein Adroit out on Sat.and Sun.and had a ball.Got me on a want to ride rigid again kick.But I don't want to kill my Klein(It's a one of a kind and can't be replaced)So I figure buy a more modern rigid bike,in fact why not even kill two birds with one stone and conquer the whole 29er bug I also have had from time to time(if its a bike I'm diggen it)Anyway not knowing anything about 29er's or modern day rigid bikes,I've come across what seems to be a good choice. From Niner the S.I.R.9(steel) or even maybe the E.M.D.9(Alu.)Does anyone know about or own one of these?And or how can I ride or demo one,or any 29er for that matter.I have plenty of bikes for someone to borrow while I do the same. FYI my Nicolai FR(07)should be in this week. Thanks.CF....

AOF
    soft / 34/ married
    I was born in Mass does that count?

What size frame do you ride?

I have a XL Surly Karate Monkey setup rigid and SS, I live in Exeter, NH, and if you would like to try it out you can e-mail me: armonfire@gmail.com

-dan
    Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

mtbr member
    Say it ain't so Fred . I'll prob get flamed for this, as well as get a beating from a gang of Nemba members but here goes... 29ers are slow to get moving, not as snappy as 26. Once they get moving they cruise along very nicely. I really enjoyed riding out west on buffed singletrack. Very smooth and again rolled really nice, almost effortless. Were you really feel the down side is the flex in the wheels when riding techy singletrack, rock gardens, baby heads, roots, etc. I found myself choosing easier,rolling lines to avoid flex and to take advantage of the larger diameter rolling attributes of the 29" wheel. Not my riding style and in my opinion 29" is better suited for rolling singletrack. That being said I can have fun on any bike. I love them all. If a bike makes you smile, it's the perfect bike for you.
    Just a thought...Have you ever spent time on a cross bike? WICKED FUN
    check these out
    http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/MAJORJAKE/index.html
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...quest-pro.html big bang for the buck also 29ers
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...del-7XR2C.html
    http://www.gloucestercross.com/

I've got a redline with disc brakes. LOVE IT

mtbr member

Thanks guys.....

Bruce-e,relax brother I'm not giving up on the great world or 26's and or fully's.I'm like you and sadly enough un-like most I REALLY LOVE BIKES in that I'll ride em in any shape or form.I just can't belive I stayed off my Rigid so long.I'm not sure 29 is the answer,but it is for sure in the messy mix of madness(other wise know as my mind).I was told buy my Nicolai source(Nicolai still the best thing I've ever thrown my leg over)that they make a 26 wheel hard tail frame called ArgonCC that is to die for.With a rigid fork and a famous CF build kit,we are looking at a 19 pound rigid rocket ship.So the jury is still out as well as the funds in my bank account,so Its not something that will be going to be had soon.After all with a two month old $6000 CC and $6500 FR to be done by Feb 10th,my plate is pretty full. Just wait untill they see the FR with the new 07 24 spoke all mountain(1700 gr.)wheel set from none other than SPINERGY.Fox 36 van Fox DHX air XO everything,ect,ect,SWEET SWEET SWEET.Peace CF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

RIDE TO LIVE
    Hey Fred, 29ers arn't better, just different IMHO. I have a SS GF Rig, fully rigid and a Salsa Dos Niner, geared with 80mm fork. I also have a GF HiFi Pro 26er and I love all three. My Dos is a fast bike and at some places, it will walk all over a 26er. With a light wheelset, a 29er has the ability to roll like no 26er. I run stans 355's with DT 240's and they spin up just like a 26er but roll better. However, my HiFi can leave my Dos for dead in tight, rocky terrain. That's why I have both. If you would like to give my Dos or Rig a try, let me know. They are both 16" frames.

mtbr member

Sounds good bro.

[QUOTE=LIV2RYD]Hey Fred, 29ers arn't better, just different IMHO. I have a SS GF Rig, fully rigid and a Salsa Dos Niner, geared with 80mm fork. I also have a GF HiFi Pro 26er and I love all three. My Dos is a fast bike and at some places, it will walk all over a 26er. With a light wheelset, a 29er has the ability to roll like no 26er. I run stans 355's with DT 240's and they spin up just like a 26er but roll better. However, my HiFi can leave my Dos for dead in tight, rocky terrain. That's why I have both. If you would like to give my Dos or Rig a try, let me know. They are both 16" frames.[/QUOTe I'll PM you,so be lookind for it,Thanks.CF..

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

yup

Used the search function, which saved me from posting this exact same question. I recall seeing AOF flying on his up at KT and have been thinking about getting one since.

After a week of riding some sick, technical trails, I have to say.. I like it. Alot. Rigid in the front is king with the ergos cause they act like suspension in a way. I put that tire where I want it almost every time. Sure 29ers suck on the DH but, hell, most of the ride is up around here anyway. It's a redline d440 with a front avid, thomson post(thanks Bruce!). big panaracers, stainless egg beaters, and ergo grips. I will keep my 26ers but I will always have a 29er in the stable from here on out..
    Attached Images Attached Images