mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Another new dirt rider

Hi All, my name's Alex. I've been road biking off-and-on since 2006 but recently started to explore the local trails. Up 'til today I've been riding my Cross-Check commuter rig with drop bars and smooth tires, but I just picked up a brand new Krampus. I rode it 3 hours this morning before the rain started. This thing rocks!

Definitely gonna start working up my skills and exploring some terrain this season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another new dirt rider-img_0121.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sweet bike, where do you ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I ride the trail between bedford and concord a lot - its fast easy and fun, though a little too easy with the new bike! So lately I've been exploring the side trails off of that and off of the minuteman path. I just checked out the landlocked forest in burlington today, and had another great ride!

The messed up semi-bridge thing on top of logs is where I wussed out and turned my noob skillz around, lol.

Another new dirt rider-img_0122.jpg

Another new dirt rider-img_0123.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bedford to Concord? Try going to the end of the MM trail by the Bikeway source. Go left 100' and cut in behind the guardrail, you could go all the way to Concord center. Hit up the GB NEMBA on fb , they have Thursday nite rides at the LLF . What kind of rotors you sporting?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Are you starting your ride closer to Bedford or Concord? This is my weekday stomping grounds so let me know if you'd like any tips on trails. There are a couple trails that get you from the Minuteman to LLF without much road work if you haven't found them yet. On the Concord end, you can ride all the way to Great Brook with only about 1.5 miles of pavement. Most of the trails in the area are accurate on openstreetmaps.org if you aren't familiar with it. There are also a number of mapping apps for phones that source from OSM to help you find your way if need be.

mtbr member
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-01-2014 at 07:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    holy smokes!! that is some awesome info, guys. Definitely going to check that stuff out - sounds like I have a handful of weekends cut out for me right there! openstreetmap looks killer, too - this is the first I heard of it.

I actually live in somerville - i'm just in the habit of riding out to bedford before starting my "real" riding. So I'm going to check out the middlesex fells at some point, too.

I think I'd heard about that pump track somewhere, too. Sounds fun - is that tricky to ride?

@leeboh they're hope rotors in pretty-purple color, 200 and 160mm I think. Stops on a dime. That thursday night ride looks pretty interesting too... Probably not this week cuz I'm "saving up" for a century ride this saturday

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I find the pump track pretty easy to ride.... of course I stay the ground when I ride it

Openstreetmap is great in this area. It's how I found most of the concord/punk/great brook loop mentioned above. Like a I mentioned, there are a number of great mapping apps that use OSM so you can pull your phone out in mid ride if you get lost. Have fun exploring! It's a really great area. I'd definitely check out the Fells as well.

mtbr member
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-01-2014 at 07:28 AM.