Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

All hail The Charlemont Trail System!

14K views 88 replies 27 participants last post by  hado_pv 
#1 · (Edited)
It's funny, but you'd think there would be more of a buzz about The newest and most expansive, destination-worthy, trail project in all of New England. Well, I'm here to kick the bee hive.

In the space of a little less than two years, with the dedicated work of several different trail building smiths and their respective crews (Harold Green and crew, Jon Schaefer and his Berkshire East crew, and Bruce Lessels and his dedicated Zoar Outdoor crew), close to 30 miles of exciting, fun and at times quite challenging bike-specific single track has erupted across the long, steep hillsides of the upper deerfield river valley/ mohawk valley.

I have had the opportunity to get in three very long rides recently on these new trails with their primary architect Harold Green. Honestly, these have become some of my favorite trails anywhere. First of all, they are carved into the hills and valleys of one of the most beautiful areas in Southern New England. There are great views and landscapes to take in at almost every turn. These trails would be a pleasure to ride anywhere, but getting to ride them in this impressively lovely location is a real bonus.

Secondly, these trails serve up the longest sustained single track climbs, and the longest sustained single track descents in MA. The run up to the top of Berkshire east is an epic ride in an of itself (no lie, for those of you looking to build up to crushing the climbs at epic races like the VT 50 or the Wilderness 101, the climb to the top of Berkshire East and up Zoar and the Warfield House will give you the mettle to excel!

The long, dedicated DH descent from the Top of the B'East is a turny, techy, long thrill ride that makes the solid climb up very worth it!

The Trails on the Warfield House and Zoar Outdoor side, boast similar, challenging, impressive sustained climbs, as well as thrilling prolonged descents...plus a ton of just great crisscrossing, unique and fun singletrack to link the whole thing together.

Truthfully, These trails all started out pretty rough and raw and took some real hard work (and hard riding) to work them in (which is just the reality of working with the terrain up this way!). But now, the trails...all 30 miles of them, are riding wonderfully.

I believe Harold is organizing a monster all day Epic ride of these trails (and Hawley!) for Oct 20th or so. Navigating around this system isn't too hard, and there are online maps, and new signage going up all the time. But the best way is getting a local tour on one of Harold's thursday night rides or just getting a hold of a local.

Oh, and if you do come up, be sure to buy a beer and some good food in the Warfield House Restaurant after your ride!

Don't let the Fall end without checking out these trails.

See less See more
#76 ·
I am amazed by the factions online here. Who would have thought that some trails would have the capability of pissing people off so much?

Chaz. My number is back a few posts. You can call anytime. Same with any of you. If you want to help, please reach out. I am grudge free and my only agenda is to improve the trails.

#80 ·
Hey, I'm probably going to head out there on Saturday...would I have more fun on my rigid 29er or my 6-inch all mountain 26" bike (how steep are the climbs and how rough are the descents?) Also, do you have any suggestions about which trails would be more fun to ride up and which ones would be more fun to ride down? Thanks!

#81 ·
There has been a pretty big logging operation above the Warfield House on that side of the valley. Connector, Lost, Get Smart, Happy Days, TV Tower might be best avoided - I haven't been up there, but expect to spend the early spring cleaning up tops in that area.

Everything else is in good shape - most was leaf blown just before the end of November, we cleared blow-downs after Sandy's visit. Riding last night, there were a few new snags that dropped in the winds of a week or so ago, nothing major.

I'm happiest on my Fat bike or 29er hard-tail, but Matt has had some good rides on some 6"+ rigs in both 26 and 29, while others have done well on rigid SS setups. Nothing you'll find makes anything less than 40 pounds a bad choice. The climbs aren't incredibly steep, but they are relentless. The downs not requiring anything in the realm of a full DH rig. On both sides of the valley the 1000' of climb is work regardless the amount of grade reversals and pitch variations.

Have a great ride!

#85 ·
Well, I don't want to spark a KT vs. The World debate, but it is fair to say that much of the CTS is very different in feel and aesthetics than KT. And in fact, it is a fairly instructive comparison for those who wonder if it is worth it to come up to these trails. And that is not a knock on either place. CTS has a hardness to it that I personally like a great deal. I prefer trails that have a real wilderness feel to them and less of a playground feel--others, like Woodsguy, prefer a slightly more modern, playground feel (going off of previous comments about KT and Allegrippis--and to the point, I prefered the Rothrock Trails vastly to the Allegrippis trails when I visited that region-though both are excellent).

Neither is 'right' or 'Wrong'. And Many riders like both styles of trails depending on the day (myself included).

But, I think it is fair to say, if KT is your ideal trail experience and you don't like to deviate too far from that model..you might not like the CTS.

#87 ·
I will definitely be up to check out these trails this year! I love that wilderness feel that biggrumble was talking about. Trails like that make you work :thumbsup:

We "found" Berkshire East this winter and have been there a few times and will be back a few more. My wife and kids love skiing there and they keep asking what there is to do there in the summer. hado - if you're around on Sundays I'd love to meet you and talk about the trails a bit.

#88 ·
Well, what a thread! I'm a Mass expat living in Hawaii. I'll be coming back to visit this summer and can't wait to check out the CT trails. I've lived at both ends of the Pioneer Valley and miss the beauty. As 'mountain' bikers I'm surprised by how many folks want smooth groomed trails, yes, that could be fun, but isn't really mtb-ing in my book. It's more like smoothing the river so the canoe can cruise easier...(personal opinion, please no flame)... I agree with SuperbMan, I like the wild more than the tame, as you can see.
Anyway I am so happy to see there are lots of trails to choose from and when I arrive, I'll post up and hopefully connect with some locals for some fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.