Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am amazed by the factions online here. Who would have thought that some trails would have the capability of pissing people off so much?

Chaz. My number is back a few posts. You can call anytime. Same with any of you. If you want to help, please reach out. I am grudge free and my only agenda is to improve the trails.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Any reports on current conditions out there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Trails are clear, ground is cold, no snow yet and it's black powder season, so an orange vest is a nice accouterment.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    Trails are clear, ground is cold, no snow yet and it's black powder season, so an orange vest is a nice accouterment.
    Thanks.

Does clear mean leaf blown? Any advice what to stay away from right now?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey, I'm probably going to head out there on Saturday...would I have more fun on my rigid 29er or my 6-inch all mountain 26" bike (how steep are the climbs and how rough are the descents?) Also, do you have any suggestions about which trails would be more fun to ride up and which ones would be more fun to ride down? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There has been a pretty big logging operation above the Warfield House on that side of the valley. Connector, Lost, Get Smart, Happy Days, TV Tower might be best avoided - I haven't been up there, but expect to spend the early spring cleaning up tops in that area.

Everything else is in good shape - most was leaf blown just before the end of November, we cleared blow-downs after Sandy's visit. Riding last night, there were a few new snags that dropped in the winds of a week or so ago, nothing major.

I'm happiest on my Fat bike or 29er hard-tail, but Matt has had some good rides on some 6"+ rigs in both 26 and 29, while others have done well on rigid SS setups. Nothing you'll find makes anything less than 40 pounds a bad choice. The climbs aren't incredibly steep, but they are relentless. The downs not requiring anything in the realm of a full DH rig. On both sides of the valley the 1000' of climb is work regardless the amount of grade reversals and pitch variations.

Have a great ride!
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey, thanks for the tips! Headed out yesterday, arrived a bit late so didn't get a chance to ride quite as many of the trails as I would have liked, but it was still a blast! The trails definitely had a bit of a "forbidden forest" type feel, very primitive, like carving through the dirt far away from civilization. Not like the overly groomed Kingdom Trails type trails. You guys should be really proud of the work that have done and are continuing to do. I wish I was closer to help with the trail work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    Hey, thanks for the tips! Headed out yesterday, arrived a bit late so didn't get a chance to ride quite as many of the trails as I would have liked, but it was still a blast! The trails definitely had a bit of a "forbidden forest" type feel, very primitive, like carving through the dirt far away from civilization. Not like the overly groomed Kingdom Trails type trails. You guys should be really proud of the work that have done and are continuing to do. I wish I was closer to help with the trail work.
    I hope you are talking about the DH Burke Mtn trails when you say "overly groomed" because I definitely wouldn't consider the rest of it "overly groomed". If not and these really are the opposite of KT, then I will hold off making the two hour drive out there. We have enough "rake and ride" stuff. It clearly wasn't your intention but you just reinforced the negative reviews that criticize these trails for not having flow. Grooming = flow = speed = fun! Not to mention sustainability and mass appeal. I'll wait and see if the trails progress next summer and maybe check them out at the end of summer/fall. But with two small kids now I have to pick my biking days wisely.
    Last edited by woodsguy; 12-16-2012 at 12:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
    I hope you are talking about the DH Burke Mtn trails when you say "overly groomed" because I definitely wouldn't consider the rest of it "overly groomed". If not and these really are the opposite of KT, then I will hold off making the two hour drive out there. We have enough "rake and ride" stuff. It clearly wasn't your intention but you just reinforced the negative reviews that criticize these trails for not having flow. Grooming = flow = speed = fun! Not to mention sustainability and mass appeal. I'll wait and see if the trails progress next summer and maybe check them out at the end of summer/fall. But with two small kids now I have to pick my biking days wisely.
    Awww c'mon....Last time I checked, this is New England.
    Last edited by JSumner13; 12-16-2012 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well, I don't want to spark a KT vs. The World debate, but it is fair to say that much of the CTS is very different in feel and aesthetics than KT. And in fact, it is a fairly instructive comparison for those who wonder if it is worth it to come up to these trails. And that is not a knock on either place. CTS has a hardness to it that I personally like a great deal. I prefer trails that have a real wilderness feel to them and less of a playground feel--others, like Woodsguy, prefer a slightly more modern, playground feel (going off of previous comments about KT and Allegrippis--and to the point, I prefered the Rothrock Trails vastly to the Allegrippis trails when I visited that region-though both are excellent).

Neither is 'right' or 'Wrong'. And Many riders like both styles of trails depending on the day (myself included).

But, I think it is fair to say, if KT is your ideal trail experience and you don't like to deviate too far from that model..you might not like the CTS.

mtbr member
    I look forward to checking these trails out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I will definitely be up to check out these trails this year! I love that wilderness feel that biggrumble was talking about. Trails like that make you work

We "found" Berkshire East this winter and have been there a few times and will be back a few more. My wife and kids love skiing there and they keep asking what there is to do there in the summer. hado - if you're around on Sundays I'd love to meet you and talk about the trails a bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well, what a thread! I'm a Mass expat living in Hawaii. I'll be coming back to visit this summer and can't wait to check out the CT trails. I've lived at both ends of the Pioneer Valley and miss the beauty. As 'mountain' bikers I'm surprised by how many folks want smooth groomed trails, yes, that could be fun, but isn't really mtb-ing in my book. It's more like smoothing the river so the canoe can cruise easier...(personal opinion, please no flame)... I agree with SuperbMan, I like the wild more than the tame, as you can see.
    Anyway I am so happy to see there are lots of trails to choose from and when I arrive, I'll post up and hopefully connect with some locals for some fun!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I will definitely be up to check out these trails this year! I love that wilderness feel that biggrumble was talking about. Trails like that make you work

We "found" Berkshire East this winter and have been there a few times and will be back a few more. My wife and kids love skiing there and they keep asking what there is to do there in the summer. hado - if you're around on Sundays I'd love to meet you and talk about the trails a bit.
    Most sundays I'm there bell to bell, as is Superbman. Ask any patroller to radio Harold or Liam, or look for red jackets in the woods on powder days...
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4