mtbr member
    May 2006

2nd Thursday evening Bikes, Brews and Burgers

Might be a little hot tonight, but we're planning a trip to the South Side. Climbing Bozrah Brook, Wilderness Peak, Hawks Brook to Moose and finally swooping down Billy's World.

From there we'll make our way back to Warfield for the requisite refreshments.

Meet at the Warfield House at 6:00.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great ride last night. We hit portions of all the brook trails. Left Warfield via Brook Rd down to the bridge, climbed up Rice Brook – congrats Nate for clearing the first 2 switchbacks!

At the NorthWest road we were delayed as I had to attend to what could have been a ride-ending mechanical – there I attempted a temporary repair using zip ties which got me only to the Far Meadow. I sent Mark along from there guiding the group down to the Dupree Brook Trail while I attempted a more durable solution to the missing chainring bolts, broken chain and bent rings.

Removing the big ring, scrounging a pair of short chainring bolts from the pack, and adding a quicklink, I rejoined the group just as they were emerging from Dupree at Route 2 for the assault on Mount Institute. We began the climb with the beautiful Bozrah Brook Trail which follows the water’s edge for about a mile as it begins to climb the mountain. As we worked our way to the transition to Wilderness Peak Trail, I realized 2 things 1: my repair would hold for the duration of the ride and 2: My fatbike was giving me an unfair advantage over the group. Not a dab all the way to the Round-about Gate!

From the gate we jumped onto Hawks Brook Trail as far as East Rd, we opted, in the interest of time to stay on the road for a while and then take a left up the steep road to Silver Doe which we climbed up to the Beast Access Road. We bypassed Moose since daylight and the energy levels of some of us were waning, and stayed on the Access Road all the way to Windmill Rd. From there it was the delight of Billy’s World all the way to Buckland Rd! We finished the ride in the gathering darkness with the pavement climb back up Warfield Rd where we scored some delicious Pizzas and Pitchers under care of Gerry and the gang at Warfield House.

The group tonight ranged in age from mid-teens to mid-sixties - all had a blast!

If you haven't been to Charlemont lately, you haven't been to Charlemont. See you soon!
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...