Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

2014 Treasure Valley Rally: A Real MTB Course

2014 TVR: Saturday May 10, 2014

Registration is LIVE for 2014 at http://bikereg.com/tvr14, register early for the best deal. Here's how it works: price is only $23 now but increases $2 on the first of every month until race day when it becomes $35 (Now:$23,Mar 1:$25,Apr 1:$27,May 1:$29,May 10:$35). Plus: first 100 pre-reg'd racers BEFORE April 15th get a free T-shirt!

The 7th annual Treasure Valley Rally (TVR) presents miles of real cross country mountain biking in the heart of Massachusetts. Lots of singletrack, much of it purpose built for mountain biking, decent climbs, plenty of technical challenge, and a grassroots vibe coupled with swimming, food, and races for all ages means a super fun day out for a great charitable cause.

The 1,600 acre Treasure Valley Scout Reservation in the center of Massachusetts is rarely open to the public yet offers a solid trail network that's been honed for MTB over the last 8 years by riders from the Team BUMS mountain bike club. We strive to provide a challenge appropriate to your ability with several course variants. The 10 mile main race loop will push you and your bike to your limits as the laps add up, but we have a shortened lap for novices, a much shorter lap for youth/first timers, and even a free small kids race through the woods.

What's new this year?

- A SATURDAY race in the SPRING, both firsts for us!
    - More course enhancements for sure.
    - Pre-registration is a little different this year:
    -- T-shirt cutoff is April 15th so we can get the right sizes (no more guessing and getting stuck with lots of extras)
    -- Sliding price scale: the earlier you register, the more you save. Price starts at $23. March 1 it increases to $25, April 1: $27, May 1: $29, race day: $35
    - 2013 was a tough year for us but the survey results (http://www.teambums.com/tvr/tvr13_survey_final.pdf) we collected told us we have a lot of fans. Let's make 2014 huge!
    - 2014 is also the first year that Treasure Valley will offer a MTB specific camp week to Boy Scouts. This is made possible by volunteers from Team BUMS and Bicycle Concepts.

This race primarily benefits the Mohegan Council Boy Scouts of America (http://www.mohegancouncilbsa.org/) in Worcester, MA and their Treasure Valley Scout Reservation. We also contribute to the attending fire departments who provide emergency coverage. Any other money raised also helps grow the trail network and make the race better every year.

See the Event Website (2014 Treasure Valley Rally) for the latest information about the race, including the Race Flyer (http://teambums.com/tvr/TVR_Flyer.pdf).

Pre-reg at http://bikereg.com/tvr14 early and save.

Thanks for reading and racing!
    Brett
    See you at the Treasure Valley Rally XC MTB race in Rutland, MA on NEW DATE Saturday May 10, 2014

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi there, is there any shame in registering for the longest race (the 27 miler) even if I'm not anticipating being overly competitive?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    Hi there, is there any shame in registering for the longest race (the 27 miler) even if I'm not anticipating being overly competitive?
    No shame, but consider that the fastest elites take nearly 3h to complete that race, and some 3.5h and are usually wiped out. We do have a time limit on the course as well, which most of the time is never needed. Unless you're in the hunt for competition, points, and prizing, I'd suggest registering for the Open Touring class then you can do 2 laps and if you have time try for another.
    See you at the Treasure Valley Rally XC MTB race in Rutland, MA on NEW DATE Saturday May 10, 2014

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Brett,

This is one of the hardest races around, it is technical, with lots of climbing and some screaming downhills. It is a race for real mountain bikers not the typical roadie weight weenie types. It is also the reason it is my favorite race because if you have decent wind and good technical skills you can put the hurt on the xc guys who ride road most of the time and race dirt on the weekend. While they are carrying their bikes and running, one can blast by them and pull away.

As far as doing 3 laps and not being an Elite, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a serious masochist, 2 laps and I am very done. What is great is that you can swim in the lake after and get a good burger or pulled pork sandwich.

It is a good cause, with money going to the Boy Scouts for improvements and you get to ride some tough singletrack that isn't open to ride any other time during the year. Hope to see you there.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd give an arm to be able to ride that 10 mile loop, but can't do that day. What a bummer! Many good memories of Treasure Valley from my Boy Scout days. Camp Proctor is named after my great-grandfather.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm still trying to figure out how the pre-ride will work. Usually it was on Saturday w/the race on Sunday, but since the race is Saturday...and Friday is a workday for most...hmm

mtbr member
    You guys are great! Your race is great! I always love the challenge of finishing in one piece. Haha.

Saturday will keep ALL bike shop employees from attending. I have never missed this fine event, but this year sadly I will be working.
    Shop Owner
    Trigger Carbon 1
    Scalpel Ultimate
    Phoenix
    SuperX Hi Mod Disc
    Super6Evo Hi-mod Di2

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brian jra View Post
    You guys are great! Your race is great! I always love the challenge of finishing in one piece. Haha.

Saturday will keep ALL bike shop employees from attending. I have never missed this fine event, but this year sadly I will be working.
    Thanks for the kind words, Brian. Believe me, a Saturday date was definitely not near the top of my list for choices. We pretty much got last pick of available dates, so Sunday over either NEMBAfest or Memorial Day weekend or Saturday before Mother's Day were the realistic choices. April, I anticipate, will still be muddy and cool.

I gotcha that a lot of people have to work on Saturdays, but I'm a little confused. Isn't there a way people could switch days/schedule, etc in advance to make it happen? Maybe I should call around to bike shop managers and negotiate something for y'all I just noticed you're the shop owner of, I assume, JRA Cycles. It'd be good to chat on the phone. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I gotcha that a lot of people have to work on Saturdays, but I'm a little confused. Isn't there a way people could switch days/schedule, etc in advance to make it happen? Maybe I should call around to bike shop managers and negotiate something for y'all I just noticed you're the shop owner of, I assume, JRA Cycles. It'd be good to chat on the phone. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Here is the deal. Our selling season in the Northeast is very short. We will do as much business on a busy Saturday in April or May as the whole month of January&February combined! No kidding. Short of a family emergence, everybody is working on Saturday! Sad but true.

I'm sorry to hear EFTA is not giving you much in the way of dates to choose from. I consider TVR one of the best races on the planet!

Good luck with the event!

Warm Regards,

Brian
    Shop Owner
    Trigger Carbon 1
    Scalpel Ultimate
    Phoenix
    SuperX Hi Mod Disc
    Super6Evo Hi-mod Di2

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Here is the deal. Our selling season in the Northeast is very short. We will do as much business on a busy Saturday in April or May as the whole month of January&February combined! No kidding. Short of a family emergence, everybody is working on Saturday! Sad but true.
    Understood, thanks.

I'm sorry to hear EFTA is not giving you much in the way of dates to choose from. I consider TVR one of the best races on the planet!
    It's more than EFTA. The Root66 series has 15 races on their schedule, almost every Sunday. The MTB race season, like the bike shop selling season, is too short here

mtbr member
    It's more than EFTA. The Root66 series has 15 races on their schedule, almost every Sunday. The MTB race season, like the bike shop selling season, is too short here [/QUOTE]

I agree, the selling season can seem on the short side. With this LONG winter.

BTW this is not about me now. This is more about your race.

My question is, why not schedule the race on a Sunday when the 66 is in Vermont or one of the more distant Connecticut races? The majority of the racers are in the Sport and beginner classes. I'm guessing these people will not travel 3 hours to race. Given the choice, I would bet most of the racers would rather stay local. Not all racers are going for the 66 over all series title.
    This is all easy for me to say over the internet. This is my 2 cents for next year. Again let me stress, I hope you have a great event!
    Warm Regards,
    Brian
    Shop Owner
    Trigger Carbon 1
    Scalpel Ultimate
    Phoenix
    SuperX Hi Mod Disc
    Super6Evo Hi-mod Di2

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My question is, why not schedule the race on a Sunday when the 66 is in Vermont or one of the more distant Connecticut races? The majority of the racers are in the Sport and beginner classes. I'm guessing these people will not travel 3 hours to race. Given the choice, I would bet most of the racers would rather stay local. Not all racers are going for the 66 over all series title.
    This is all easy for me to say over the internet. This is my 2 cents for next year. Again let me stress, I hope you have a great event!
    Warm Regards,
    Brian
    Thanks Brian for your thoughts. I'll share here the spreadsheet I used in planning the TVR date:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&usp=sharing
    At Treasure Valley, we need to avoid all of July and the first half of August for Boy Scout camp. Additionally, we should also avoid the last week in June for their counselor training. We used to hold our race the weekend after the H100, but the D2R2 moved onto our weekend and, despite not being a MTB event, still draws a lot of cyclists. So we figured we'd give Apr-Jun a try. April is tough since there's more chance of lingering mud & snow plus with the lake at our venue, we really would like to hold the race in warmer weather. I'm not sure we'll achieve that for May 10, but it's better than April. Now, looking at the rest of the available dates, we were left with:
    • May 11 (Mother's Day)
    • May 25 (this was open at the time, but it's Memorial Day weekend)
    • Jun 15 (opposite Pat's Peak Root66)
    • Jun 22 (NEMBAfest)

We'd originally settled on Jun 22 before I realized it was NEMBAfest. Even if I skipped that, most of my volunteers and tons of riders are going there.

If anyone has any advice for next year given a picture like the one above, please let me know. We really want to accomodate as many as possible, of course, while living within the restrictions of our venue.

Thanks,
    Brett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    We added a FAT BIKE racing class for 2014. This is a first for an EFTA NECS race (that I know of) and, importantly, is unofficial: does not qualify for EFTA series points. Consider it a pilot program and EFTA is watching to see how it turns out. So if you want to have a blast on your >= 3.7" tired bike, see how she floats over the Treasure Valley singletrack on May 10th!

http://bikereg.com/tvr14

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    April 15th is TOMORROW and because you'll be filing your taxes that day we want you to register for TVR NOW to beat the deadline for your FREE RACE T-SHIRT. Wear it with pride to show the world you conquered the angry beaver and one of the toughest XC MTB courses in New England! http://bikereg.com/tvr14 We need to lock in sizes early this year to avoid guessing (wrong) on the order and getting stuck with lots of extras.

So, if you are one of the first 100 people that pre-register before midnight 4/15, your registration includes a free T-shirt. If you register beyond that, we *might* have a few shirts for sale, but take advantage of this deal if you're racing.

Thanks for supporting us in 2014, help keep the TVR train going!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A few quick updates on the race coming up real soon: Saturday May 10!

• TVR price bumps up again on May 1, register now for the best price http://bikereg.com/tvr14
    • we've got about 60 pre-reg'd so far!
    • custom TVR pint glasses for prizes
    • a couple Carver frames to award to deserving Junior M/F racers
    • custom TVR T-shirts for those pre-reg'd before the April 15th deadline (and our volunteers)

2014 Treasure Valley Rally: A Real MTB Course-tvr14_pint_glass.jpg

Sponsors this year include:
    • UniBank
    • Bikeman.com & Carver Bikes
    • Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
    • J.F. Cove Insurance Agency
    • Nelson and Son Artists
    • Losapio Law Office
    • Ryan Gallagher/Ameriprise Financial
    • 495 Rental
    • Flood's Auto & Tire Center

aka Gumbo
    Apr 2006
    Just registered today. I did this race two years ago in my first year of racing and enjoyed it, other than going over the bars once. Last year I did not get out and it will be my first race of this year. Thanks for hosting it again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looking forward to this....never been. Sounds great that it's a true mountain bike track

Is the course basically the same as the link to the 2010 edition on the website?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    Looking forward to this....never been. Sounds great that it's a true mountain bike track

Is the course basically the same as the link to the 2010 edition on the website?
    No, it's changed a lot. We've added probably 3mi of new trail since then and changed the routing direction in several places. I hope to post a new map by early this week. We are running the same course as 2013 because there wasn't enough time to put in any changes this spring.

Thanks wgerow and Yakfish for the kind words.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is anyone heading out from Boston/Cambridge/Somerville? My current plan is to get to the race via commuter rail, although having a ride would definitely make my life easier!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by icycle View Post
    No, it's changed a lot. We've added probably 3mi of new trail since then and changed the routing direction in several places. I hope to post a new map by early this week. We are running the same course as 2013 because there wasn't enough time to put in any changes this spring.

Thanks wgerow and Yakfish for the kind words.
    Generally speaking I assume we are talking about this for a course: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Treasure Valley Rally 2nd SS near Spencer | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Also, I feel like the answer is probably the latter, but would I be happier for this race on a rigid 29er or a 150mm full squish bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm bringing my full suspension 150mm fatbike but I would suggest to bring a full susp.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Pre-ride update: due to staff shortages at Treasure Valley, all pre-riding would need to be overseen by me or a designee. This unfortunately limits the opportunities we can offer you. I will personally be hosting a group course preview starting at 5:30pm tomorrow Wed 5/7. Go to the main entrance http://goo.gl/maps/Iwo6N .. Note that this entrance is only open for this ride and the race.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi Biggrumble,
    I am looking for a ride as well, did you have any luck or are you doing the commute alternative?

I am not sure if I will commute alone, but with company I might consider it. Please let me know

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Here's a course map for the racers:
    2014 Treasure Valley Rally: A Real MTB Course-tvr14_map_racer.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast