Steam Donkey

2010 Pioneer Valley Epic Ride Series!!!

Back by popular demand. :rad:

Now in it's third season, the three-part Pioneer Valley Epic Ride Series will take place in September and October this year. The epic rides will showcase some of longer routes and larger riding areas in the Valley. Each ride will cover roughly 30 to 45 miles. These rides are geared toward stronger riders who are able to maintain a good pace for longer distances. The pace is not "race-pace", but the group will be moving.

The series will kick off with the 'Backyard Epic-Tour of the Ridges' on September 12th at 9:00am on, and in the area of, the Deerfield Ridge. Liam will fill-in the details on this.

The second ride "The B'Early Epic" will take place on September 19th, lead by the Chaz-man with the very lofty goal of riding every trail in both the Batchelor St and Earl's trail systems. Chaz will fill-in here...

And the final installment will be "The Rossi Epic" on October 17th. Feared and Revered and in it's 29th annual running (ok, maybe 10 or so). It's sure to satisfy your rocky ridge line hanker'n. About 37 miles on the M&M. One way, one water stop, and no easy way out!

Anyone who completes all three Epics will get a commemorative Finishers something??? Maybe a T-shirt, belt buckle, Pilsner, Hat, Chaz autographed issue of Single Tracks... Suggestions welcome.

If you think you'd like to participate or need more info please contact me!
    stevenrossi -at- rocketmail -dot- com
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

carbon-attrition

are these rides carbon bike friendly?

one of these dates could workout for me. i have done the belchertown/leveritt/belchertown 40 miler and the sturbridge to mansfield hollow (with a lap of the briar lee course thrown in for good measure) 50 miler.

how do these rides compare? october 17th is a perfect time for long rides!

rog

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    rog
    If you crash onto one of our many sharp rocks no, otherwise, absolutely. Less weight is always your friend when climbing...
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog

one of these dates could workout for me. i have done the belchertown/leveritt/belchertown 40 miler and the sturbridge to mansfield hollow (with a lap of the briar lee course thrown in for good measure) 50 miler.

how do these rides compare? october 17th is a perfect time for long rides!

rog

Hey Roger,

I don't know the sturbridge ride at all.

I do know the The Belchertown/ leverett ride (on the M&M-did you ride that with the petersham crew?) and can say it is somewhat similar to the Tour of the ridges ride on Sept 12th, and Steve's Ride in October. Similar climbing, familiar Basalt Rocky ridges and forested trails. However, both of these ride feature a hell of a lot more biker built single track Than the M&M ride.

My ride on Sept 12th is a pretty enjoyable ride, tons of climbing/descending-some double track stretches, a mile or two of pavement, but a ton of pretty diverse single track as well. History suggests that The Pace is likely to be a little more 'strong intermediate' (as opposed to true expert) friendly than the other rides.

The Batchelor St/ Earl's Epic will be a whole different ball game-40 plus miles on all biker built single track, linking two areas with very distictly different personalities:

one half (Earl's Trails) is similar to ToT (a place I know you know well) -in that it is tight, very twisty and relatively smooth (for western, ma, that is) except its hillier and generally better riding (ascents are longer and the downhill payoffs are more plentiful).

The Other half (B-street) is miles and miles of impressively built, rock-strewn single track gems that are unlike any other trail system I've ridden and worth the trip alone.

Accessing both of these requires crossing one and only one paved road.---should be a great event. Especially with Chaz hosting the ride-cool dude, great rider and a lot of fun to ride with.

Steve's Epic (and I'm glad it's returned to the Penfield to Agawam route!) is a pretty gritty, but very rewarding, long one way pedal. There are a number of stiff climbs, a few long stretches on tear your tire apart rocky ridges, but on the whole it's a great, enjoyable, scenic and reasonably demanding ride.

If you make any of these-or all of them-you'll have a great time and a great ride.

Liam

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

big thanx!

great info liam!

i rode the 40 mile belchertown/leveritt/belchertown ride with team bums members back in 2002. i was on my fully rigid bianchi cuss singlespeed 32-16t and enjoyed the heck out of it!

that bigelow hollow to mansfield hollow had less climbing, but more techy on the nipmuck trail. quite an adventure fer sure.

rode with steve a bit at 2007 pedrosfest. great guy/tons of energy. salem maz was there as well. he and i had a nice ride in north conway last weekend. always easy to get the heart rate up chasing or being chased by that guy!

anyway, will def try to get to one of these rides. my memories of the 2 that i did in that region enter my thoughts often.

hope to see you

rog

mtbr member
    The Bearly is as carbon bike friendly as you want it to be. What it's not friendly for are puddle ducks, spring chickens, or any other euphemism Liam can come up with for slow-pokes. I'd love to say the more the merrier and we'll wait for folks and there's a few watermelons stashed in the woods if you bonk and hey let's all have a grand ol' time ridin' our bikes, but the reality is that if we don't push this ride along, it won't finish until Monday. There's 4-5 hours of trails in B street alone, and that's riding at a fast pace with minimal stops and no mechanicals. When we finish that side, we're only 2/3 done. Liam ain't kidding about it being 40 + miles. I don't know the exact distance, I don't know the total vertical gain, but I know from experience that this is a hard ****ing ride. Earl's side isn't technical, but it's host to some of the longest, steepest, climbs I've seen this side of the Berkshires. Every part of this ride is challenging and unforgiving. EXPECT 7 to 8 HOURS OF RIDING for this event.

Expert pace, expert terrain, expert post-ride beer guzzling. That's what this epic is.

With those caveats said, if you've got the technical skill and endurance, you're in for a helluva ride. There will be a water and food stop. If you have to bail, you'll be able to, although we'll make you ride out of the woods naked. I suspect this ride rivals the infamous Rossi epic in difficulty and pace.

Until then...ride like a bah-stid.

achiever
    I'm in for at least the Chaz Epic. Not sure about Deerfield & I may be in LA for the M&M ride.

One gear, no suspension, lot's of pain and I like riding nekkid in the woods so bailing won't be a problem.

Got a route for B-street yet? That 2/3 is going to be brutal...

mtbr member
    Kris, you can like riding naked in the woods all you want, but I'm not going to let you bail. So you might as well keep your clothes on.

Yup, it'll be brutal. Anthony and made a go of the loop about a month ago, but didn't finish it because we started at noon on a 90+ degree day. Oops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    How long did the B-street side take you?? A few years ago as a warm up to the john jenkins memorial P-sham ride, Myself and a few others set out to ride every B-street trail-I think we did it (but not earl's) and hit a few trails twice. I want to say that it was over 4 hours--can't exactly remember...

This will be a great (and taxing event)...if you want everyone to make the whole thing-do the earl's side first (otherwise you'll have a mass bail out after the B street beat down).

Steam Donkey
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    This will be a great (and taxing event)...if you want everyone to make the whole thing-do the earl's side first (otherwise you'll have a mass bail out after the B street beat down).
    When two old farts tell a young lad the same thing, ya might want to start paying attention there young laddie, or not.
    Besides the mass exit, Earl's will be better for weeding out the Ducks, with a less painful wait time on the rest of the group. But what do I know...
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    B street will be 4+ hours.

achiever
    With the possibility of a Chaz signed issue of Singletracks, no way I'm dropping!