a stonewalled jackson
    Aug 2006

2 months in Franklin County MA, where to ride?

I'm on work detail for two months in Greenfield, and looking for any resources for riding thataway. Lived in Asheville for three years, so really into technical xc climbs and descents. Not a hucker, but not a hater either . Any good websites or must-ride trails?

Jake

achiever
    There are good trails starting right in Greenfield near Poet's Seat that you can join with some others across the river in Deerfield that run down to N. Sugarloaf. I've ridden them and they're some fun trails but don't know them well enough to guide. I'm sure those that can will chime in, however.

Moving a little further south are Earl's and Batchelor St. on the Holyoke Range in Amherst and Granby. (Earls being smooth, flowing singletrack with enough climbing to keep you breathing deep and B street is good technical cross country goodness)These two places couldn't be more different but make for a great ride together. This I could guide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badbrains
    I'm on work detail for two months in Greenfield, and looking for any resources for riding thataway. Lived in Asheville for three years, so really into technical xc climbs and descents. Not a hucker, but not a hater either . Any good websites or must-ride trails?

Jake
    The "ridge" trail between Deerfield and Greenfield is a good xc ride. Not sure if I would call it technical, but it does have some decent techy sections. It's also relativily flat with some short steep climbs. I haven't been on it yet this year, so I'm not sure of it's condition, but if it's good I'd love to meet up ride it with you.

mtbr member
    Fortunately, you're stuck near some of the best damn riding New England has to offer. Unfortuntely, things are pretty muddy and spring riding season hasn't yet started. Should be a couple more weeks.
    Wendell State Forest, Deerfield and Greenfield ridges, Earls and B street and much more around here. Once conditions. clear up, I'm happy to give you a tour of Wendell, Earl's, or B street.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I posted this list in the top 10 riding places a few weeks ago

So long as you have some decent climbing legs, 3 days in the Pioneer Valley - Connecticut River Valley and environs will give you at sampling of world class rides.

Batchelor Street - Techy as it gets with an XC flavor. The least climbing of the bunch.
    Earles - not technical riding, but it borders the Batch and gives a mellow start and or finish to your ride.
    Wendell State Forest - Plenty of Technical XC trails and enough climbing to make it a single ride day. The DCR map is more or less complete and accurate.
    The DAR State Forest in Goshen. West of the River plenty of intermediate rocky XC. A bit less climbing than Wendell, but rides similarly. Again, the DCR map is more or less complete and accurate.
    Only a few miles from the DAR and connected most of the way with Ashfield's Trails is Dubuque State Forest in Hawley (Guides required).
    The Pocomtuck Ridge from Deerfield to Gill - Rocky and varied. If you want to see everything find a local to help you around. The trails aren't mapped and are on mostly private land.
    Petersham Trails - as good as it gets anywhere. Again, mostly on private lands, find a local guide. They are usually stoked to share their stash and hold events occasionally.

When you get to Greenfield stop by Bikes-Unlimited on High Street. Bob will let you know what is in shape, and where the shop ride(s) will be that week. We usually ride at least on Wednesday's out of that shop.

The NEMBA.org forum is up to date with conditions as well...

Hope to see you when you get to the area.

H.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    H.
    Are you saying that DAR and Hawley are/can be connected by trails? That would just be amazing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not 100% but...
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

a stonewalled jackson
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for all the information! Getting ready to head up there on Monday, and I'm definitely planning on stopping by Bikes-Unlimited. Sunday's are my most likely regular riding day, but I hope to be able to catch a weekday group ride at some point.

If you see an out-of-breath guy on a full-rigid purple Big Sur, that'dbe moi.

Cheers!