mtbr member

Wolf Ridge 6.7 vs. 6.8

I am buying one of these two frames, not a complete bike, so the title should probably read: "fox rp23 vs. float r", since that is what my decision is coming down to. just wondering how much people with the 6.8 use the pro-pedal function when climbing? I have a rp23 on a different bike right now and I use the pro-pedal all the time when climbing, but that may be due to the linkage on my current frame. 6.7 riders, do you feel noticeable pedalbob when climbing with the float r? Thanks for the info.

Undercaffienated
    I have a Mount Vision (same suspension design as the Wolf Ridge) with the RP23. My regular riding involves a LOT of climbing. I never use ProPedal. The only time I might use ProPedal is if I am riding on asphalt.

mtbr member
    Propedal is just an option Fox came up with... Marin's design doesn't really need it if you ask me.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

MTB B'dos
    ...and yet if you ask me, I'd say pretty much all suspension designs need something like pro-pedal I've ridden Maestro, CVA and Quad Link suspensions and I'd say all need a shock with some form of platform dampening and more importantly an ability to firm it up on smoother flats and climbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Shop
    Propedal is just an option Fox came up with... Marin's design doesn't really need it if you ask me.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    hmm, this is kind of what I was expecting. Of my riding buddies, I am the only one that uses the propedal on our rides, but I am also on a Jamis Parker, and those guys all have much nicer bikes (Blur Lt, Enduro, etc.). Thank you all for your input, at this point I am leaning towards the 6.7 with the Float r. The Joplin that is going on this bike will have to be the extent of my climbing tricks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    get the pro pedal....i dont use it much myself(10%?)but its nice to have thatoption.

i used it at the beginning of a race this weekend but one all the sprinting was done i switched it to regular mode.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I agree, get the pro-pedal option if possible. It is a very nice to have.
    Although as Pedal Shop said, “Marin's design doesn't really need it if you ask me.”
    I only use it riding street / fire roads, to and from trails etc.
    I only use setting one (rp23) which is the “softest” of the three pro-pedal settings.
    I did forget to turn the pro-pedal off once riding trails.
    The bike worked flawlessly with pro-pedal on in setting one.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a 2009 6.7 and I can feel the bike bob when climbing or sprinting out-of-the-saddle.

The R does have pro-pedal, but it's at a fixed setting. The 23 has adjustable pro-pedal. It's a tempting upgrade, but I'm not sure if I will or not. The bike climbs great when seated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    An option is to have some “push service” done to your float R.
    A previous bike was a 06 East Peak with Float R, fixed pro-pedal.
    I had that Float R pushed and it was noticeable difference in the shocks performance.
    www.pushindustries.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    An option is to have some “push service” done to your float R.
    A previous bike was a 06 East Peak with Float R with fixed pro-pedal.
    I had that Float R pushed and it was noticeable difference in the shocks performance.
    www.pushindustries.com

A side note,
    If you use clip-in pedals you can use the “pedal bob” you feel to enhance / smooth out your pedaling efficiency.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It's nice to have the option for long fire road shuttle climbs but never use it on the trail.
    Float R shocks have factory built in pro pedal so you will loose some of that plush suspension action.

mtbr member
    yeah -- to fine tune what l meant... saying l don't think the design needs propedal.

the design works pretty with or without it.

compared to other bikes like say, the Kona Dawg. that design sucks a$$ trying to climb without a propedal feature on the shock.

l ride the Marin Quake --same design, more travel, bigger bike... l actually like the pro-pedal totally off on that bike. Along with the Wolf Ridge, if there's any pedal bob, man it's oh so very little. l have had guys comment on that often. Guys riding next to me while we're climbing, they noticed that the Quake doesn't hardly bob at all. Talking of course about a freeride bike, that l know but l have been on Wolf Ridge long enough too to feel the difference. The Attack Trail... the bigger, inbred brother to the Wolf Ridge is the same as well. FYI: The subtle changes they made to that design make that bike even smooooother than the Wolf Ridge.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

gears weigh too much
    Im trying to find the eye-to-eye length for the shock on a wolf ridge. Any body know what it is or have a bike the could measure for me?
    Thanx!

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Tape measure says 7.5" on my 2009 WR 6.7, size Large.
    What shock are you getting?

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Shop
    l ride the Marin Quake --same design, more travel, bigger bike... l actually like the pro-pedal totally off on that bike. Along with the Wolf Ridge, if there's any pedal bob, man it's oh so very little. l have had guys comment on that often. Guys riding next to me while we're climbing, they noticed that the Quake doesn't hardly bob at all.
    Are you talking about climbing while seated, or standing?
    Do you notice it bobbing when you sprint out-of-the-saddle?

Like I said, I have no issues with bob when I climb seated, but I stand or sprint it bobs enough to be a nuisance. I haven't been on any other modern bikes to compare it to, though. If this is "good" standing/sprinting behavior then I'd hate to ride "bad."

gears weigh too much
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS
    Tape measure says 7.5" on my 2009 WR 6.7, size Large.
    What shock are you getting?
    I just bought a 6.7 frame off ebay which comes with the Float R and I was just going to swap it out with a RP23 w/boostvalve. I've got a 2010 Mountain Vision 5.8 which has an RP2 w/boostvalve and i ride with the propedal on almost all the time thanx to that awsome position sensitive boostvalve. Like everyone else is sayin, you dont neeed it that much but it is nice to have the option of more pedal platform.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS
    Are you talking about climbing while seated, or standing?
    Do you notice it bobbing when you sprint out-of-the-saddle?

Like I said, I have no issues with bob when I climb seated, but I stand or sprint it bobs enough to be a nuisance. I haven't been on any other modern bikes to compare it to, though. If this is "good" standing/sprinting behavior then I'd hate to ride "bad."
    i

I think the WR is veery good sprinting out of the saddle. When the links are off loaded and it digs in . If you lean back and wallow around you may get some bob.

mtbr member
    I have a 2008 MV with the RP23, and only on occasion do I use the pro pedal on the trail, and that is on the 1 setting for a specific trail in town. I use it on 3 when I'm riding on the concrete to the ride, but that's it. The suspension is meant to be wide open, sat on, and if the suspension is hindered from it's full use, it's just not as...well....useful. I have the rebound set at full, and I find this makes the climbs better. Let the suspension do it's thing.