Hell Track

What Would you Do regarding Marin Customer Service?

As I've posted here before, i'm having serious problems removing the rear wheel on my xm7. I've already had to replace one axle. Something was not machined correctly from the factory is my best guess. 2 bike shops have not been able to figure out the problem and have just as hard a time as me removing the rear wheel. I cannot feel confident riding this bike. If i get a rear flat i'm screwed. I have to use a hammer and a screw driver to pound the axle out. I've contacted Marin and Crosslake sales (online retailer) and neither will help me with warranty claims. I've only got one Marin dealer nearby and they don't really deal with Marin much and will not help since I didn't buy the bike from them. Any opinions? I feel like I wasted $1400. My last resort is to make a video and send to the companies and let them know that I'm making my frustration public...I really don't want to do that. very disappointed, the bike is a nice ride otherwise, but this is a major issue

I ride bikes
    Are you sure its a machining issue? I read your other thread and there could be an issue or it could just be the locktite failed. Or the swingarm is too wide making it at a weird angle/ too far. I would just try to solve it myself, and if that doesnt work, keep contacting marin directly. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don't threaten them with a video, as that will just burn the bridge.
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

Hell Track
    The locktite definitely failed on the first axle, but it's not just an issue getting it off but putting it back on also. I've spent hours trying to figure out a solution. The axle goes through the frame fine and through the hub fine separately. It's when the wheel is on, the axle is stopping right before it threads into the nut. It's just a hair off. I've tried two axles so far. If I wiggle it around and play with it I can sometimes line it up just right, but that usually takes a lot of time and patience. If I do a video it will be for Marin to see the problem and possibly give me a solution. It's my only complaint about the bike, so i'm gonna try my hardest to figure it out. Thanks for the response

I ride bikes
    I had the same issue with getting the axle to thread back in. It seemed to help if I squeezed the swingarm together as I pressed the axle in and tried to thread it. It was lame and my 2014 frame doesnt have any such issue, but I made it work.
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

Hell Track
    Thanks for the insight. I'll try the swing arm squeeze method. I read in your other thread that your xm7 was stolen. That sucks...

mtbr member
    What Would  you Do regarding Marin Customer Service?-dsc02203.jpgIf I understand you dilemma correctly, it sounds like your skewer is not engaging enough of the aluminum nut on the opposite side of the lock lever. I replaced the OE skewer on my 2014 Nail Trail with a XTR and the packaging had two boxes to check, 138mm and 143mm. I queried the forum and the consensus was that all should be fine with the 138mm, and it has with no locktite....all has been good for well over 1500 miles. My axle did grab all the aluminum insert, but the axle was barely visible looking into the nut...maybe the 143mm could be an option. I would not consider a machining error as the "axle" aligns itself after locking assuming the alignment is correct with the nut,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Would  you Do regarding Marin Customer Service?-dsc00023.jpg  

2014 Nail Trail 29...

mtbr member
    Do you have an update for this? It sounds like the step edge between the the threaded part and the smooth part is hanging up on the edge of the dropout. If I had an extra axle, I'd take on and grind, or file, that edge into a softer transition. This is assuming you have thru axles, correct?

mtbr member
    In my opinion, I can't imagine having to "grind" anything...there is something else that is causing this problem...maybe the frame was not machined correctly, but this seems like a long-shot to me. It is a shame you are getting the response from Marin that you are alluding to...maybe try the factory store in San Francisco...
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

mtbr member
    Well, I'd still rather modify a replaceable steel part than an aluminum drop out. Axles are cheap in comparison to frames.

I wish the OP would update the thread. The suspense is killing me!

mtbr member
    After mulling over this some more, I guess it is possible that if the surface faces of the dropouts were not machined parallel to each other, the skewer certainly could bind up the axle.

If indeed this turns out to be the problem, it is the first I have heard of...if this was a big box bike it would not surprise me, but Marin builds a pretty good bike. You still need to get Marin involved!

You also may get more responses in the frame and bike forum...

One more query, does the rear wheel rotate acceptably with no load?
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

Hell Track
    Didn't see the the responses from August until tonight. I haven't been on the forum much the past half year or so. I too thought of grinding the axle but I've tried two different axles and I feel that I shouldn't have to grind an axle to make it work. Marin finally responded positively and is sending a new frame and swing arm. The bike is currently at the Marin dealer in Santa Monica. When I pick up the newly assembled bike I'll talk to the mechanic to get his take on it. It's seen two mechanics already and both had a heck of time with the rear axle. I'm hoping it all works out well. I really like Marin and want to support them with future business.