Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Smile Thoughts on xmas gift bike for wife...Marin Rift Zone 29 Med xc6

Anyone have input on getting this bike for wife for xmas? Saw a decent deal on one (subject above).

We live in Houston area and its flat but trails are rooted badly and we can travel to Austin and other locales where there is more terrain, but we are not doing "downhill" or lift assisted. Looking for AM / XC.

She has ridden MS150, has a Ti road bike, but her mtn bike is severely outdated. I have a decent FS rig and got my oldest daughter a FS bike (Kona 4 deluxe) and a Marin 24" HT for the younger one, so she needs a bike.

This Marin has a bent top tube seems friendly to those who want more space, a good thing for her on a taller FS ride.

Not sure about 29 but it seems to be well known for making riding easier and faster. I got my 26 right before 29's became in my price range, so I'm only relying on reviews. If she was smaller Id go 650b for sure, but those are not cheap now. I am somewhat budget oriented but want a quality frame to last her a long time.

Basically, 29r good? or I could score a deal on a 26r for sure used and she'd be fine with that (I am bike mech skilled)

Sorry if you are reading a second time I posted women's lounge too just getting feedback as Id need to get it sooner than later. Forgive the cross post.

mtbr member
    Well after blowing a lot of time looking at pinkbike, ebay, CL, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Rift Zone XC6 29r. Its such a smokin' deal at $1250 delivered new in box I could resell it for what I paid I'm pretty sure should wife not like it. I did use the specs listed to measure her existing mtn bike top tube and compare cockpits, its nearly identical. So hopefully we can fit her with it.

Thanks to I think it was this forum for the info about the suspension bushings being guaranteed for life by Marin, that was really cool info as with my Giant Trance X I had to replace a shock bushing, and even for someone who repairs a lot of stuff was a bit of a pain. Hopefully this bike won't need anything like that.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I have been watching those Marin Deal and bid on a couple of the new mount visions. That is a good deal on an entry level FS 29er. How tall is she?

mtbr member

We the people ...

Shes 5.7 @ 150.... should be 130 but hey, I cant mention such things. maybe the bike will help to that end. She's mostly legs so the fit part is mostly top tube as she's so short in midsection.

If you look at what you get for the price, I was blown away. The rear links all have enduro roller bearings stock - that rules. The x7, well that will work and if she rides a lot I can upgrade pretty inexpensively. I think from the interbike vids I saw the XC7 version has rims that support tubeless, but for this bike I didnt want to go the extra bucks. The shocks and fork seemed pretty decent with adjustments.

The rear-swing suspension design really does work in my opinion on a lot of those roots and rocks, its similar to my Trance X from what I have read. I thought of getting one for me too...but the financial officer would have a cow!

mtbr member
    Please let us know how she likes it, and how it works out for her.

mtbr member
    sure thing. won't come until 27th

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Dirk what size frame did you get for your wife. My wife is 5'6" we are both making the switch to FS. I just picked up the xc7 on eBay as you know from the other thread, should be here tomorrow. Still looking for a bike for her, but not sure if she should go 29er or not. She/we ride mostly flat (florida) flowy type stuff, lots of roots but mostly short climbs, ans she doesn't ride the more advanced stuff I do. More of a comfort thing for us as we are on our way to 40 yikes!!! Anyway she test road a spec myka 26er and liked it but it was her first fs experience and it was just in the parking lot, any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    She is 5'7", I got a medium. I would have gotten perhaps a smaller size but there wasnt one available. She's short torso. That is the critical measure, the sloping top tube should allow standover on the bike.

Her current mtn bike is equal to the measure provided on the Marin TT equivalent on the chart of about 23". I'm hoping it fits her well enough. Her road bike I think its 54 is a bit shorter TT. I may just put a shorter stem on it and see what we can do that way to shorten up the reach to the bars.

Not sure what your wife is used to riding, but such an aggressive bike like the Rift Zone is setup differently than those typical entry level bikes with a more upright seating position. I think there are probably some other bikes that are similar you might find a buddy with something for to ride even if around a parking lot.

I can't help you too much with the 29 choice as I ride a AM 26r but folks I have talked to say the 29 is awesome and not hard to steer. Including a friend of mine who's GF is shorter than my wife. 29 really is awkward on small frames IMHO, but medium is fine.

Our trails are like yours, I'm in Houston. Thick roots all over and mostly flat. We dont need great brakes and the dropper posts, but the suspension really makes it much better. The 29 wheel also will roll better over roots, plus the suspension. Wife and I are 50 this year so cant take a lot of banging down trails. I'm getting what I think is arthritis in my thumb.

I think your wife would be happy with the Rift Zone, it looks like a great bike, even the XC6.

My 26r has 6" travel in front and 5" in back, and the height of the bike with that suspension sort of freaked me out it was so different when I first got on the bike from a very old HT. So.... figure in some "adaption" time, it will feel different. Id say it will come down to how "adventurous" she is.

mtbr member
    oh yea and reviews I saw said the RZ was very plush, some full-bore riders didn't care for that much squish on the back. The suspension has bearings and also moves to the rear initially, so it wont bang as much when hitting things. A plush ride is what I think both of us are looking for re: wives. I was thinking of the XC7 as its got some upgrades over the 6, but my wife has been a bit less than full bore enthusiastic and for what's shes likely to do with it, I think it will be super.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the info. Yeah she is riding a steel frame diamondback hardtail rock shox up front 16" frame. It was a nice bike in its day (late 90's) but it's time to upgrade. What she needs to do is test ride some more bikes, and figure out what she wants. Ups tried to deliver mine today, but we were out riding! Got in one last hoorah on my old 90's era schwinn hardtail, had a good ride, looking forward to the squish out back though.

mtbr member
    How is it? Ours is still 3 states away. going from a 16" frame...I'd go with a small if you can find one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Got it together, but no shock pump and Been busy with Christmas stuff the last two days. Going to hopefully get it rideable tomorrow, got to find a shock pump, and figure out how to set up the hydro brakes. That is the one thing I don't have experience with from my wrenching days 15 yrs ago. Bike is gorgeous though, and definitely feels a lot more comfy rider position wise than my old schwinn, can't wait to hit the trail maybe Friday!! Will report.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Finished assembly this afternoon shock pump came in, so I set up the sag front and rear. Then routed cables, took apart headset and regreased (good thing it was almost devoid of grease) cleaned and lubed chain, derailuers and adjusted the shifting. Then worked on figuring out the brakes, pretty simple really even having never worked on the hydro's. Cleaned her up and put some crappy pedals I had laying around on it to take it for a spin and bed-in the brakes (waiting of a new set of platforms.) Just a neighbor hood ride, but initial thoughts, I really like it. I can tell its heavier than my old HT, but a good trade off for the comfort of having rear suspension. I'm a pretty big dude 6' 250 ish geared up an I was impressed how efficient pedaling felt, no noticeable pedal bob at all, but definitely smoothed out bumps from curbs neighbors yard etc. also liked the climbing setting on the fox really stiffened up the back for pedaling hard on Xc stuff or road rides. One thing I don't like is the clunky cable clips mounted all over the place, would prefer internal routing or at least something a little cleaner. Also the saddle blows, and I would have preferred bars with a little more rise but for being a supposed XC bike it's comfortable to ride I'm not leaning over anywhere near like my old HT, in fact relative to that bike I'm sitting up! I'm hitting the local trails tomorrow we'll see how she does. Snapped a quick pic after cleaning her up.
    Thoughts on xmas gift bike for wife...Marin Rift Zone 29 Med xc6-img_20131226_203043_482_zps85cf30dd.jpg

mtbr member
    The bike looks great. Be sure to post up a review after you ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    +1 Looks good. Wife's bike (surprise to her) comes in tomorrow according to UPS.
    Wonder where the weight is...maybe we could lose some with ghetto tubeless setup. I had to get a dishwasher a few days ago as there was a complaint I heard about us needing that before any more bike stuff...luckily I found a sweet deal on a bosch at BestBuy scratch & dent, was just a very slight dent on side of door and the under trim where dummies bent with a hand cart. Saved $ FYI, bent back to shape in hour. Anyway, hopefully will be well received...She's been kind of funny about stuff like that. I did get rid of 3 bikes to make some room....that being the major complaint!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Haha I know what you mean I promised to sell one of the two boats we own to finance new bikes for us and make some room in the garage. Took it out today, and I think your wife will love it assuming the fit is good. Initial impression is WOW!!! It is my first experience with a FS bike and 29er, so take it with a grain of salt but it is so much more comfortable to ride than my HT, and the 29 inch wheels roll over everything so much easier. I also liked the relaxed riding position, I might still put riser bars on to relax even more. Also want to go tubeless whether I upgrade these wheels or go new not sure yet. The two things I was worried about turned out to be non issues. #1 the weight, this bike is heavier than my HT so I was concerned about some of the short steep climbs, but this thing climbs like a mountain goat!! the rear suspension makes it so smooth riding, and climbing on our very rooty trails the bike seems to stay glued to the trail even though it is a bit heavy. #2 I have heard for years about flex issues on FS bikes with riders my size, and a lack of pedaling efficiency but I felt none of that, I had the rear shock set to trail for the whole ride and I couldn't be more happy!! Front fork was running about 150 psi and it might still be a little squishy, but the rear seemed perfect at 225psi, I'm a complete noob with air suspension so I may still play with it some to get it dialed in, but I cant wait to get it back out on the trail!!

Overlooking a small lake along the trail
    Thoughts on xmas gift bike for wife...Marin Rift Zone 29 Med xc6-img_20131227_165658_621_zps1cb4afcd.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice. Just got it tonight and spent a hour or so assembling. Thanks for hint about the lack of lots of grease. I opened up the headset and a few things to lube. I got it mostly setup except the rear shock needs more air.

Initial thoughts on the XC6

• The design is pretty darn nice for the ebay price.
    • Tapered HS adds significant stiffness
    • Through axles on both ends very sweet at this price
    • The X7 drivetrain works snappy and solid
    • pretty nice wtb seat and light large dia seatpost
    • quality parts all around
    • odd, annoying cable attachment system
    • Recon RS fork not impressive out of the box, may brake in?
    • Wheels adequate, but may upgrade entire wheelset if wife gets into it
    • my first 29r - rolls great, handles well, but harder to wheelie

Comes with a pretty short stem, some fairly wide riser bars as is popular these days. Fairly decent grips with more of a hand platform (not round).

Can't wait to take it out, but wife has fever and is pretty sick now.
    Maybe sunday

mtbr member
    Update:

She likes the bike, she fits the bike! Better fit than her old school HT from '93.
    She did say wow those are big wheels! bit of learning curve with different feel, but she likes it so far. She's somewhat better but no rides further than around the block yet, she came back nearly hocked up a lung.

Weighed the XC6 17" - 33lbs and some change. Not too shabby for the price really, feels lighter, I would have sworn it was < 31. Going ghetto tubeless probably take a couple pounds off, a seat with ti rails, have to look at those chainrings, maybe steel for all I know....but its a decent frame and fits. Good building block.

I took a risk ordering w/o her fitting it but measured a lot and guesstimated. Really psyched.

How much does the XC7 weigh out of curiosity?

mtbr member
    Oh BTW XCScott, that seems like a ton of pressure in a fork, is that correct? What is the max, must be close to it. I have not checked our fork, its fairly close out of the box, but I put in 200 in rear shock and get about 25% sag now. My other bike the fork is about 80lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah that sounded hi to me too, but per the rockshox website it is good for up to 200psi. Actually recommended 135+psi for riders over 220lbs. Glad your wife likes it, I sure love mine, the kiddo and I went for a spin around the neighborhood to test out his new bike computer Hope she feels well enough to get out and ride it soon. I haven't weighed mine yet advertised weight < 30 lbs. that sounds about right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am also running the fork at 15 psi. Both of my dual air RS Rebas are run at the same pressure and have been for a number of years. I have not weighed my either and would interested to see what it comes in at.

XCScott, how do you like the stock brakes? They just were not as nice as the XTs i have on my geared hard tail so that was the first thing I upgraded. At our weight being confident in stopping when going down hill is the most important thing to me.

I am looking at going to double ring setup for mine though as I am running it on my geared hard tail and really have no issues here in the Midwest on most if not all of the trails I ride. Usually me running out of steam on climbs and a gearing issue.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Zaskar, so far I've been happy with the brakes. But I'm coming from old school avid single digit v-brakes, so anything is an improvement. We don't have a lot of down hills here in florida so I don't know how they compare to the shimano's, but I've heard they are much better. I really like the bike as well, not crazy about the tires one has already gone out of round (not the rim.) So will be looking to go tubeless soon and may put bars with a little more rise. Do you have any weight saving suggestions? Haven't had it far enough apart to know yet what needs to go. Considering a swap to 2x10 also makes sense for Florida riding.

mtbr member
    FYI, I just got my Manitou Tower Pro fork to upgrade over the XC6 Rock Shock Recon. Its sweet. If anyone wants a 15mm QR, taper, double air TK Recon 29r with a 7.5" steerer let me know.

The Tower Pro is 1/2 lb lighter FYI at 4.25 (estimated on dial scale) and the Recon was 4.75, both with 15mm axle installed.
    Last edited by dirkdaddy; 01-05-2014 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Try deflating and reseating the bead on the tires before assuming they are damaged, that is if you have not already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hello Ironically I am also looking for a FS 29er for my wife and me (late Christmas present). After much looking, these ebay deals (random bike parts) on the Marin XC6 and XC7 just can't seem to be beat. So I'm getting my wife the 17" medium. How will the fit a girl that is 5'8"? Also I want to get myself the xc7 but think I'm sized between 17" and 19". I'm 5 9 and 1/2 with a 30-31 inch inseam. I have been told I should size to the medium because of the 29 wheels. Any input would be appreciated. The price is hard to beat, but concerned about online bike without proper sizing. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast