mtbr member

Thinking Mount Vision 5.8!Help!!!

Hi,im new to the forum.I currently ride a Brodie Rite 140mm travel bike and im thinking moving to the Mount Vision 5.8.Why is it I cant find many reviews on this version?Is it a good choice?I will be doing mostly all mountain/cross country and some downhill.Is this a good bike?

mtbr member
    Cool,thanks for the input!I went ahead and ordered one up anyways,09 Mount View frame with Fox RP23 shock brand new for only $550.
    Last edited by socalMX; 11-22-2009 at 01:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Where'd you get one for that price? Very interested. Good choice by the way! I have an east peak which is essentially the same bike. Looking for different color though, better rear shock and smaller size. Let me know where you got that! You'll love the bike by the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbakos
    Where'd you get one for that price? Very interested.
    Ebay seller called betterbikes, do a search for Mount Vision in the bicycles & frames category. I just got one for $555. Do the make offer to him.

mtbr member
    The frame looks great. I bought two. For me and my father

Some pics...

Thinking Mount Vision 5.8!Help!!!-p1000213_re.jpg

Thinking Mount Vision 5.8!Help!!!-p1000214_re.jpg

Thinking Mount Vision 5.8!Help!!!-p1000215_re.jpg

Thinking Mount Vision 5.8!Help!!!-p1000216_re.jpg

mtbr member

Good job!

I bought and built XS for my 10 year old daughter. It looks sick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking Mount Vision 5.8!Help!!!-crw_3251.jpg  

Rider
    Your 10 year old daughter.....cool. She ride alot? She's got to be the envy of the neighborhood with those wheels.

When my boy gets a bit bigger (he's 6 now), I'll be doing something similar I'm sure.

Just thought I'd comment.
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    I take her in woods once a week - we ride 5-6 miles of smooth and very twisty single track. I think she will still ride her old bike in the neighborhood

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph.../ppuser/366836

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    anyone know if a 140mm fork would be OK on this frame - in a size large. Looks like the complete bikes come with 120mm.

also, whats the eye to eye length on the shock?

TIA !

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Shock eye-to-eye is 7.5 inches, 190mm. I have an east peak, same bike, with a pike 140mm travel fork and it's ok... I like the fork but on steep climbs I can't put power down without bringing the front of the bike up. It feels good, but climbing gets annoying and I feel like my weight is too far back on the bike. It doesn't seem like it should be a big difference, but I definitely notice the extra 20mm up front. I used to have a 120mm fox up front and the bike felt a lot more balanced.

mtbr member
    a difference in 20mm is not so a big deal but bb is already too high - it has negative drop (0.6 inch)

mtbr member
    Dragbike,im running a 140mm Fox fork on mine and it works great!I called Marin to make sure it would work.They told me they experimented with a 140mm fork and it worked well which led to changes in the headtube for the 2010 model.I love the bikeThe rear shock is 7 1/2 inches,not sure about MMs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Anyone happen to know the standover for the large and XL frames? Can't find this on the marin website.

a large which is normally in the 19" ST area. I love a long top tube. current bike is a 19" & has a 24.5" top tube. 19.5 ST with a 24.25 top tube isn't that big for an XL.

I am concerned about standover though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbike
    Anyone happen to know the standover for the large and XL frames? Can't find this on the marin website.
    Measured from a point in line with the upper swing arm linkage pivot, I got 32" on my 2009 5.8 size XL:

The Beast Breathes
    Not to hijack the thread, but is there any real marked improvement in getting a 5.9 over a 5.8? I think the 5.8 looks better, but looks can be decieving...
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.

mtbr member
    The 5.9 has a carbon fiber swingarm(rear frame) and slightly better components.A few pounds lighter and alot more money!Not worth it in my book.The 5.8 is a awesome ride!