mtbr member
    May 2017

Size? Marin Rift Zone 6

I've been riding an old Jamis Dakar Pro, size medium. I'm 6'3 with a 34" inseam.

Anyway, I'm curious what size Rift Zone6 I should get. My bike-shop friend suggested Large. He doesn't carry them, but can order one, so I can't ride before I buy. I really like this guy, and he's been keeping the Jamis running tip-top. I want to buy from him.

Anyway, I'm concerned the dropper seat post might be a bit short, does anyone have one?

I'm riding so leaned over on the Jamis anything will be an improvement. (An enthusiast gave me his old bike to see if I'd like mountain-biking a few months ago- I'm now addicted and ride twice a week)

Does anyone here have a riftzone, what can you tell me about the size?

Thanks!

And great forums, I've been lurking for a while before I finally joined to ask a question.
    Last edited by PreservedSwine; 05-09-2017 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey!

You're definitely large/x-large territory. The Rift Zone is what I'd call 'contemporary' geometry. It's not new school long, but it's not old school short.

I ride a medium Rift Zone (I'm 5'9, 32" inseam), and find it to be the 'perfect medium'. The seat post definitely sits high out of the frame, but I tried a 150mm dropper on it (based on how much post was out of the frame), and it was too long, so a large with a 34" inseam will probably work. Regardless, I feel it's the shops responsibility to make sure it works, especially if they are recommending the large, you know?

The thing you'll want to think about is the reach. Do you have long arms for a 6'3" or are you slightly shorter arms with a longer torso? If you're the former, I'd opt for the XL, if you're the latter, the large should work. Again, the Rift Zone is pretty neutral in that regard. They fit like the size they are. I rode an Attack Trail last year in large because they are a tad 'shorter', and that fit me perfectly. The reach on the large attack trail last year is about the same as the medium Rift Zone, so that's why I went medium.

A friend of mine recently got onto a large Hawk Hill. He's 6'1-6'2", and it fits him perfectly and he is relatively proportional in terms of reach/torso length.

What I'd recommend is find the geometry table for the Jamis you currently have (a google search would probably bring it up easily), and compare it to the large rift zone. If you know the Jamis to be too small, use that as the basis for figuring out your Rift Zone size.

Either post here, or fire me a message if you need any help sorting out the geo numbers. I know they are just numbers on paper, but they can give you a good idea of where to start.

Hope this helps.
    -Mike

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks for the well thought out reply.

We ordered the large, it should be here later next week. I'm pretty pumped. This is a big move- going from a 26er that's way to small (The seat post is about 8 inches higher than the handlebars) to going to a 29er that will (hopefully) fit!

I have no clue if I have long arms? They seem normal to me, but I probably wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were longer or shorter than normal.

Thanks again, but one more question. How do you like your Marin? What was the deciding factor[s] in your decision? I don't really know much, and am relying on people around me whom I trust, and I have to visually like the bike as well. I almost went for a 27.5 Diamondback release 2, (terrific deal 1900 new), but the routing of the cables just looked like a mess, and the two different colored wheels was just a turn off. But the suspension looked great. I couldn't find any Marin Rift Zone 6 reviews to parse.
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I absolutely love mine. It will only be replaced by my Wolf Ridge when it comes in.

I ride this bike on every trail I did with my Attack Trail. Granted, I might not be charging the super technical stuff quite as fast, but I am still riding all the trails.

The suspension design is amazing. I leave my shock wide open all the time, and it climbs so well and then descends so well. I can just focus on the trail, and not on "should I lock it out or not".

You'll love yours.