Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ric426 View Post
    I put the same wheels on mine a few weeks ago and you're right. It's like a whole new bike, even better than before. Best upgrade I've made on a bike. Second best was finally giving up on the noisy Elixir brakes and replacing them with Shimano M666 SLX brakes.
    I've heard the Elixirs are an issue, they've worked great from me....noisy from time to time but never too loud. Next for me is a little more cockpit upgrading....have a Thomson seat post....have to get the stem, and a nice set of bars....

Love the new wheels, it feels like a full-suspension to me....much lighter too.

mtbr member
    Anybody take the Spacer out of their Recon, making it a 120mm? Thinking about doing this over the winter.....
    Transition TransAM 29er
    Stan's Arch EX
    Thomson Bits

the half breed devil
    update...probably two thousand miles on this bike to date...strava shows 1,913...four chains, a set of tires and three sets of brake pads...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show me your pine mountain 29'ers...-dscn1126.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Here's mine!

[ATTACH]show me your pine mountain 29'ers...-pine-mtn-29er.jpg[/ATTACH]
    Had a stock build and loved it but it was just to heavy! Demo"d everything from Ti Salsa"s to Pivot"s to Niners to BMC Trail Fox"s @ Dirtfest this year and it came down to iliked my bike better. Felt right right from the first time i put my leg over it!! Sold it!!! Found the same frame in the 25th anniversary team colors and started over! Chris King Headset, Xtr components, Sid XX fork, Avid XO brakes, Thompson Laid back seatpost, WTB Silverado saddle and Crank Bros Cobalts with Bontrager tires running tubless. Rode the Cobalts for a few rides and realized i am to Big for that wheelset so i grabbed a set of American Classic All Mtn!!!
    First pic is it now and 2nd was it first built! Went from a little nover 30.8lbs to 26.02lbs!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show me your pine mountain 29'ers...-29er-other-side.jpg  

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by bg12823 View Post
    [ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pine Mtn 29er.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	731289[/ATTACH]
    Had a stock build and loved it but it was just to heavy! Demo"d everything from Ti Salsa"s to Pivot"s to Niners to BMC Trail Fox"s @ Dirtfest this year and it came down to iliked my bike better. Felt right right from the first time i put my leg over it!! Sold it!!! Found the same frame in the 25th anniversary team colors and started over! Chris King Headset, Xtr components, Sid XX fork, Avid XO brakes, Thompson Laid back seatpost, WTB Silverado saddle and Crank Bros Cobalts with Bontrager tires running tubless. Rode the Cobalts for a few rides and realized i am to Big for that wheelset so i grabbed a set of American Classic All Mtn!!!
    First pic is it now and 2nd was it first built! Went from a little nover 30.8lbs to 26.02lbs!!
    did you spend as much on upgrades as you spent on the bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh I spent way more!!!! Reality is i got the XTR groupo from Performance during their Anniversary sale @ 30% off and i am a member so i got anothe 10%off for a 40% savings!! Got the rest piece by piece @ good savings as well! None of the other bikes I demo'd were cheap either! Look what the Ti Salsa cost

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by bg12823 View Post
    Oh I spent way more!!!! Reality is i got the XTR groupo from Performance during their Anniversary sale @ 30% off and i am a member so i got anothe 10%off for a 40% savings!! Got the rest piece by piece @ good savings as well! None of the other bikes I demo'd were cheap either! Look what the Ti Salsa cost
    well, you have a nice (limited edition) steel frame with a lot of nice upgrades.

funny thing, mine weighed 27.5 at the shop straight stock except for the saddle and grips. it's a 19".

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    well, you have a nice (limited edition) steel frame with a lot of nice upgrades.

funny thing, mine weighed 27.5 at the shop straight stock except for the saddle and grips. it's a 19".
    20.5 here!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just did the MOCO EPIC on it!! Over 30 mile of mtn biking bliss!

mtbr member
    definitely a nice build, and it's great riding frame. Strange how mine has slowly become an AM hard tail....may have to replace it with a TransAM29 soon.
    Transition TransAM 29er
    Stan's Arch EX
    Thomson Bits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ric426 View Post
    What's the largest rear tire you've tried without it rubbing on the inside of the left chainstay?
    I'm currently running a Maxxis Ikon 29x2.2 and have just a few millimeters of clearance on the left side. I was thinking of putting a 29x2.25 Nobby Nic on there, but I hear the 2.25 is actually several mm's wider than the 2.2 Ikon and I'm concerned that I may run into some rubbing issues. Anyone tried a NN 2.25 on their Pine Mountain?
    FWIW, it looks like the left chainstay isn't crimped as much as the right chainstay just behind the BB so there's less clearance on that side. I've verified that the rear wheel is properly dished too.
    I just purchased a set of Nobby Nic's from Jenson in the 2.25 size and first of all, I love them.....waaaay more grip than the race kings, and they roll over everything!
    That being said, I did notice a slight amount of rubbing on the left side at the end of my ride, seemed like it only happened when I was carving pretty hard.
    I would say on the safe side, go smaller........
    Another consideration is that I have stan's arch ex wheels that I'm running tubeless.....
    My rear rim is slightly out of true, that's probably why it's rubbing, I imagine when it's trued up it won't, at least I hope. On the bright side they were under $40 each!
    Transition TransAM 29er
    Stan's Arch EX
    Thomson Bits

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just bought myself one of these, left over 2012 stock. Figure if I do not like it I can always part it out, looks like frames are hard to come by.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2