mtbr member

AT rear end replacement.

So apparently my bolts on the brake side dropout came loose at some point. I am not sure how loose is loose as I never noticed it when checking with an allen wrench before riding. I think there may have been some manufacturing tolerance issues, either way Marin will not cover it under warrantee. I did notice very small wear marks ovalizing the top frame and dropout hole on the brake side. I was told that could only be due to loose bolts. Seems like its kind of a weak spot. Yes I have Saint 810's on there, so large amounts of torque being placed on those dropouts, but this is supposed to be the overbuilt bike that can take huge punishment. I havent ridden it that hard. Several hundred dollars later I have a new rear swing arm/triangle, new dropout bolts and new dropouts. The dropouts clearly state the torque settings but I dont see anything about the pivot bolts. Anyone know what torque that should be set to?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Not what you want to hear, but on my WR and MV, a really good nip up with a spanner on both sides .It's got to be tight and you can't load up the bearings.Use good heavy loctite thread locker on the threads and recheck after the first ride.

mtbr member
    torque for the pivot bolts, from marin.

shock bolt rear...6lb/8nm
    shock bolt front...4lb/5.5nm
    swing arm-link through...6lb/8nm
    link to main frame...6lb/8nm.

these are from the service manual, but in my experience, this is not tight enough, as i've has the pivot bolts come loose on me several times.

also, make sure you tighten the bolts with the bike on the ground.

mtbr member
    I saw the service manual finally too, their site is no good on an ipad. So I guess I will tighten to a lb or two beyond spec torque, ride, then loctite and recheck? Seems like its not very tight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel53 View Post
    I saw the service manual finally too, their site is no good on an ipad. So I guess I will tighten to a lb or two beyond spec torque, ride, then loctite and recheck? Seems like its not very tight.
    in my experience, not tight enough for the long term.