mtbr member
    Sep 2004

rear brake noise when turning???

this has been happening for awhile,on hard turns i get brake noise from the rear as if the rear triangle is flexing enough to make the rotor move from side to side.has happened on two different sets of wheels and two different sets of brakes.anyone having this problem with flex in rear?

you know i have owned this bike for just over a year and i cant say i am completely happy with it.i have this issue and also have a very small crack in the main frame and overall i dont think the ride is as smooth as my 2005 east peak.no doubt that rear was flex but that bike seemed a little smoother.i dont hate the bike and i am faster on it than my last one but just some of these small things are annoying me.

is it time to look for another design??
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Is it the 09 MV you are talking about? If so, no, never had a problem.Asking the obvious. Is your rear triangle cracked? Some have used the maxle rear drop outs but I notice no difference with either QR or maxle on my WR.
    Some other things you could look at.

Are you running cartridge bearing hubs on the rear or shimano cup cone wheels. I find the shimano hubs finicky to get set up without movement.
    Did you also change brake adapters. Some are drilled off centre or not square so brakes are always biased one way or tilted, reducing clearance. After market and OEM pads can be different thickness. Have the brakes been bled lately. Spongy brakes do not let pistons reset properly. If they have been bled were they set at correct gap after bleeding. You can increase that gap by attaching bleed rig and removing a very small amount of fluid. This allows pistons to retract more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    yes its on the 09.rear frame looks ok and i have used both cartridge style rear hub(american classic) and now shimano.

have used hayes stroker brakes and now avid juicy 7(love the 7's compared to the strokers)i will try and blead them and see.also its been the same adapter so maybe that might be a concern but first i will try and bleed them.

kinda crummy i want this bike to be spot on because we are going to Keystone in two weeks and dont want any problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've used both Hayes Stroker trails and Avid Elixers. Found them both a tight fit on discs but then still didn't have your problem?. Picked up some cheap Formulas oro's they have much more clearance.

Good luck. Someone else may have some ideas?

mtbr member
    wait... you have a crack in the frame and you're still riding it?

crack or not ---

it the brake issue something new?

dumb question: rotors tight along with all the other brake related bolts?

what size rotor? pretty common for the larger rotors to rub on some full squish bikes.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    the crack is a very small one at the weld for the front suspension linkage at the main frame and i have one on order just waiting for it.

rotors are 140,had 6bolt on the american classic and the other style on the new shimano wheels and both tight and true.

when i say they are rubbing i am not talking about a leasure pace around a corner i am talking about carrying some good speed with a hard turn but the trails we ride have tons of those so it make noise for alot of the ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Off topic, but I get chain slap on my tire on my WR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    well ran the bike with the propedal on last night and no noise at all,but obviuosly not goi9ng through the travel near as much.

actually i was real suprised on how well the propedal worked for me.made the bike very sprintable and felt fast .could feel a little more harshness but not much at all.