mtbr member
    May 2009

Quake 7.1 rear shock set up

Hi, I'm new to mtbr and indeed mountain biking. Ive been thrown in at the deep end.. all the guys I ride with are pretty experienced downhill riders and i'm trying to play catch up!

I recently bought a 2007 Marin quake 7.1, I'm 175lbs and have a stock 450 spring fitted. All the reviews of this bike seemed pretty glowing but with my current set up im not overly impressed the suspensions ability to soak up rocks and roots. My mate has a Kona stinky with a 450 spring in it and it felt much plusher when i tried it.

Should I move down to a 400 or is that too light?... I do jump the bike a bit and do some small drops (3 ft so far). I have ridden the 450 enough now to have given it a chance to bed in so it cant be that!?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi nielky,
    Here's a quick way to figure out if your spring is too firm.

With a flat head screwdriver (or similar tool) slide the bottom out bumper (the rubber ring around the damper shaft inside the coil spring) up against the damper body. With your saddle at the height you would normally ride to have fun, slowly sit down on your saddle until your weight is supported by the bike, then stand up. Be careful not to bounce. Then measure the space between the damper body and the bottom out bumper. This distance should be 19-22mm, or 7/8 of one inch.

If you are getting less than 19mm then you need a softer spring.

If I was going to guess, I'd say you need a 400# spring but you need to check the sag to be sure.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers.

Jason

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks Jason,

I checked it and I'm only getting 16mm trying to take as much weight off my feet as i can and 18mm with feet on pedals propped against wall. The preload is at its minimum.

The entire lenght of the damper shaft is 65mm (2.5 inches) and the bung is a massive 13mm. Its the marzocci rocco shock in case you arent familiar with the bike.

What you reckon?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Neilky,
    It sounds like you should step down to the 400# spring. I prefer my Quake to run closer to 22mm of sag on the shock. I think the 400 will be right for you, but Marzocchi makes a 375# too, if the 400 doesn't get you set up correctly.

Jason
    Marin Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Cheers Jason,

Appreciate your help... will give the 400 a try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Neilky,
    Let us know how it goes.

Jason
    Marin Bikes