Undercaffienated

Quad XM bearing longevity (or lack thereof)

Had an annoying creak on my 2011 Mount Vision XM8 during yesterday's ride and on inspection discovered that one of the lower link's drive side (KPA5X) bearings is shot (seized to the point where you can't turn it using your fingers). Others seem to be ok to varying degrees, but most are NOT smooth. The Y-link's upper KPA6X bearing is on its way out, too. It's going to take me a while to get a replacement set since I don't live close to a Marin dealer, so thinking of just buying a set of Enduro Max bearings from RWC. As a stopgap, I popped the rubber seals on all the bearings, flushed with penetrating oil and repacked with grease. The creak is gone (not for long I suspect though)

I've had this frame for less than a year and the bearings already need replacement. My 2009 Mount Vision 5.8 went more than 2.5 years on its original set (all bearings were absolutely fine when I sold it, so maybe they lived even more than that). Same riding conditions. I don't pressure wash.

Any other Quad XM owners with bearing trouble this soon?

mtbr member
    My brothers Attack trail (2010 vintage) had the same issue as well, he needed all the bearing s replaced, so I don't think it is just an issue with just the XM's. In saying that, I've had mine for 8 months and no issues so far. Given that it is quite dry where you are, I'm surprised you are having a problem already, I though wet weather would have been a bearing killer.
    I have heard of people filling waterproof grease under the black bearing covers to help keep any nasties out for longer.
    At least Marin should be able to replace the bearings under warranty, assuming they will back up the "lifetime" bit.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    My brothers Attack trail (2010 vintage) had the same issue as well, he needed all the bearing s replaced, so I don't think it is just an issue with just the XM's. In saying that, I've had mine for 8 months and no issues so far. Given that it is quite dry where you are, I'm surprised you are having a problem already, I though wet weather would have been a bearing killer.
    I have heard of people filling waterproof grease under the black bearing covers to help keep any nasties out for longer.
    At least Marin should be able to replace the bearings under warranty, assuming they will back up the "lifetime" bit.
    The first several months of ownership I have used the bike in the UK, so the wet British summer might have been the culprit, but I have used my 2009 MV for a full year there, too, without any bearing issues. It's just strange to have bearing problems so quick compared to the old bike.

I did put some silicone grease under the bearing caps as per Marin's service manual. I think I'll be ordering a bearing set from RWC since there are no Marin dealers in Egypt.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hmorsi, sorry to read about your bearing issues but I don't think all that unusual really. At least from the many threads I've read on the Quad Link it seems like there have been many what seem to be premature bearing failures. Of course this is the internet where you will read plenty of complaints however the issue seems to have cropped up enough to say it's something that needs to be watched very carefully.

If it works out ok I'll be picking up an almost new 2011 Attack Trail frame very soon (and convert to 650B). Bet your life I'll be pulling everything apart and carefully checking and re-packing all the bearings and pivots before I spin a pedal. Since the bearings don't rotate much I'd say a grease with a high moly content would be good to use (can sustain huge psi pressures) but it tends to be nasty black stuff that will stain white frames if you're not careful.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Hmorsi, sorry to read about your bearing issues but I don't think all that unusual really. At least from the many threads I've read on the Quad Link it seems like there have been many what seem to be premature bearing failures. Of course this is the internet where you will read plenty of complaints however the issue seems to have cropped up enough to say it's something that needs to be watched very carefully.

If it works out ok I'll be picking up an almost new 2011 Attack Trail frame very soon (and convert to 650B). Bet your life I'll be pulling everything apart and carefully checking and re-packing all the bearings and pivots before I spin a pedal. Since the bearings don't rotate much I'd say a grease with a high moly content would be good to use (can sustain huge psi pressures) but it tends to be nasty black stuff that will stain white frames if you're not careful.
    Yeah, I guess my point of direct reference was my 2009 frame since it is pretty much the same frame and has seen more or less the same riding conditions. Not sure if the bearings used in the 2011 frames are of lesser quality than 2009-2010. They did switch to painted frames from anodized on the 2009-2010 Mount Visions (to save production expenses?) and I LOVED the durability of the anodized finish on these frames'. Painted frames lose their finish quality way too easily. I am getting paint chips all over the Quad XM frame. If I still have this frame in a year or two I am stripping it down and having it powdercoated.

I am very intrigued by your planned 650b conversion on that AT frame. Do let us know how it goes if your project comes to fruition.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

~4 years on older 2008 MV

I've got an older 2008 Mount Vision and replaced the KP5AX bearings last year. Some of them have partially seized and I may not have noticed it until last year.

The LBS contacted Marin and gave me some new ones under warranty. I think it is 10 years on bearings in North America. The KP5AX bearings are pretty small so I can see how quickly they will wear.

Unable to find KP5AX bearings from Real World Cycling or the internet. They do not look like standard bearings since there is a washer attached to Quad XM bearing longevity (or lack thereof)-marin_bearing1.jpgQuad XM bearing longevity (or lack thereof)-marin_bearing2.jpgone side.

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by sillymonkey View Post
    I've got an older 2008 Mount Vision and replaced the KP5AX bearings last year. Some of them have partially seized and I may not have noticed it until last year.

The LBS contacted Marin and gave me some new ones under warranty. I think it is 10 years on bearings in North America. The KP5AX bearings are pretty small so I can see how quickly they will wear.

Unable to find KP5AX bearings from Real World Cycling or the internet. They do not look like standard bearings since there is a washer attached toone side.
    ENDURO MAX BEARINGS: ULTIMATE SUSPENSION PIVOT BEARINGS! Sixth from the bottom. They do list them as available. Now whether they're in stock or not that's a different matter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for finding it hmorsi !!

I was originally looking under their suspension bearing kits (Marin Suspension Pivot Bearing Kits from RWC) instead of the individual bearings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    There's a shop on ebay Uk that also sells bearings and various bearing tools. I'm pretty sure they had quad link bearings.

They're not enduro bearings on the OEM but even so my 09 MV and WR are still smooth as . I remember Kapusta had trouble with his 09 mv as from new. So seems to be some variation in quality?

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    There's a shop on ebay Uk that also sells bearings and various bearing tools. I'm pretty sure they had quad link bearings.

They're not enduro bearings on the OEM but even so my 09 MV and WR are still smooth as . I remember Kapusta had trouble with his 09 mv as from new. So seems to be some variation in quality?
    Is it mbbearings on ebay? They seem to sell a kit for the pre-2011 Quadlink frames only. 2011 frames have one bearing at the top of the upper link (Y-link) and it is KP6AX not KP5AX like the other six bearings.

I managed to fashion a crude bearing press that will work nicely using a socket, 2.5 inch long part of an old steer tube and a bench vice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    No it was KATEC bikes but I see they only have a listing for single pivot Mv's. They may be able to kit something up for you?

Undercaffienated
    The bearing set I bought off RWC is not the correct one (and now stuck with it since I am not in the US and sending it back will probably cost as much as its price!). The KPA5 bearings are not "flanged" like the OEM ones. Otherwise they're identical. If I recall correctly, the 2009 MV used washers between the linkage and the frame (the bearings were the same but not flanged, which are the ones I bought). If I am not mistaken, the bearing flanges take the place of the washers. I wonder if I can just buy the right size washers and do the same?

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My 2011 MV is now up for the first bearing change. Fortunately I'm first owner and I did get a replacement for free. The bearings are different. Wereas the original bearings have the washer attached to the bearing, the new bearings have separate washers. I'm sure you solved this bye now. Just wanted to share my experience so far. Luckely I can let someone at work fabricate a bearing tool to press the bearings in and out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So, like this:

Old on top, new below. In my case the bearings in the lower link are shot. Bearings in the upper link not. Will replace them anyway just to be sure.

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    So, like this:

Old on top, new below. In my case the bearings in the lower link are shot. Bearings in the upper link not. Will replace them anyway just to be sure.

Thank you for this, Betzel. Very helpful! Any chance you can provide the specs for those washers if you have calipers to do the measurements? I don't live near a Marin dealer right now and want to try to source them to use the "old style" bearing set I already have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The set is now with a co-worker to fabricate a bearingtool like in the Marin manual. So I will let you know as soon as I have the set back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here you go:

Undercaffienated
    Thank you! This is very helpful!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No probs. Glad to be of assistance!