Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Quad 140, water in swingarm.

I've got an 08 Rock Springs and the swing arms fills up with water after cleaning or wet rides. I assumed the water was getting in through the tiny drilled in the tubes to release the high air pressures created while the tubes are welded together. I sealed these holes up (after blowing all water out with compressed air) with a structural adhesive but the water still gets in.

Today after a wash, i could hear water sloshing up and down inside the swingarm, and noticed dirty gritty water running from the web welded in front of the seat tube. It looks like a weld has been missed ans water can run straight into the swingarm.

There is even a tiny stone stuck in one of the gaps.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    How is that a problem?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well, water corrodes untreated aluminium. And i seriously doubt that the inside of the tubes on the swing arm are treated with a corrosion prehibitive. So i was wondering if anyone else has 2 big gaps which let water in.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Doesn't bare aluminum almost instantaneously oxidize, creating a protective layer on its own? I'm still waiting to see Al frames that have failed from water.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've seen untreated aluminium alloy crumble to dust from water damage on aircraft.
    Wasn't really trying to get into corrosion issues, more wondering if anyone else with a marin quad 140 gets water in the swing arm.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I'm betting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't know what happens to airplanes but an aluminium frame seriously won't corrode from a little bit of water.

Isn't the water draining out?

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    He's also not including most likely how there were dissimilar metals in use on the airplanes with corrosion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    forget it

AZ
    banned
    To the OP , dependant on the corrosive nature of the water that enters your swingarm , you may or may not have issues with corrosion . If you would like to make sure that there are no issues you could coat the inside of your swingarm with framesaver or even linseed oil to create a barrier against corrosion . Next time you need answers you might want to post in general or frames to get sound advice with out getting bs responses FWIW .

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks AZ.MTNS, this is my first question i've asked on here, and tbh, i thought posting a specific marin question in the marin section might get some experienced responses from riders with the quad 140 bikes i mentioned, bit silly of me i guess. ha. But, thats forums for you i guess eh. i just wondered if other people had water building up. There seems to be an exposed un-welded joint that scoops in water. Just wondered if anyone else had this seemingly un-welded joint.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Do consumers direct their questions to the manufacturers anymore?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    No need now we, as consumers, can get such sterling advice (rubbish opinions) from the 'pros' on these forums.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Do consumers direct their questions to the manufacturers anymore?

I do .

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by storeyboy
    Today after a wash, i could hear water sloshing up and down inside the swingarm, and noticed dirty gritty water running from the web welded in front of the seat tube. It looks like a weld has been missed ans water can run straight into the swingarm.

There is even a tiny stone stuck in one of the gaps.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
    I can hear tiny rocks and dirt sloshing inside of my frame. Don't have clue how they all got in there. Can't tell if it's in front or rear triangle. I just hear them when ever I stand the bike upside down.

It doesn't bother me but I am curious as to how they got in the first place. I have many mtn bikes and this is only bike with stuff getting inside the frame. BTW, mine is 08 WR. What does bother me is the infamous "Crack" sound I hear from the dropout area when ever I do 2+ foot drop. It is so violently loud.
    sth

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My rear swingarm appears to be compleatly closed. In a quick check I cannot find any holes in it where water may enter. It's a 09 Wolfridge

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Condensation? That could be another reason why the holes are still there post welding...to let moisture out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'll take some pics of the joint later (tried once but too big to post on here) but it's the small web with a big hole in it that's welded just infront of the seat tube above the lower shock mount. Top and bottom faces are welded but the sides aren't.

The holes in bike frames to equalize air pressure in the tubes during stress relieving proceedure post welding. Otherwise the pressure would build up inside the welded assemblys during the heat treatment and could distort/expand the tubes. I assumed the water and associated **** was getting in through the tiny breather holes when cleaning with a hose, but after seeing it poor out from behind this web (after sealing up the breather holes) I realised it was getting in elsewhere.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    You don't seem to understand.

Im a Cowboy
    Personaly, I would never seal up those holes, its doubtfull that once any moisture has got in, you would get it all out, so all your doing is sealing it in.
    Ok, so you think its coming from somewhere else now.

I havnt had a quad link for very long, but ive had some Orange frames with similiar rear ends for many years and I live in a very wet country.....ive certainly had water in them...theyve never broken

stop worrying and ride would be my advice...Oh and unplug those breather holes, they do at least allow a route for moisture to get back out
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeh i'm gonna unplug the holes tomorrow. As i said, i assumed the water was going in the holes when using the hose on it.
    I wasn't really trying to get caught up on corrosion issues to be honest. I was just curious if anyone has the same unwelded joint where the water comes from.

If i'm honest, the biggest pain is that it pisses out dirty water in my car when i put it on its side in the boot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just an update, i dismantled the swing arm last weekend to find the main pivot bearings were either siezed or were shot, and on further inspection i found cracks on the swing arm. Marin have just replaced the swingarm, links and bearings under warranty, and the local dealer, interestingly, suggested filling up the unwelded joint on the new swing arm, with silicon or similar to stop it filling with water.

Good turn around by marin. They recieved the old swing arm monday and the replacement was delivered to the dealer thursday.

AZ
    banned
    Just an update, i dismantled the swing arm last weekend to find the main pivot bearings were either siezed or were shot, and on further inspection i found cracks on the swing arm. Marin have just replaced the swingarm, links and bearings under warranty, and the local dealer, interestingly, suggested filling up the unwelded joint on the new swing arm, with silicon or similar to stop it filling with water.

Good turn around by marin. They recieved the old swing arm monday and the replacement was delivered to the dealer thursday.

Nice , good to hear that they took care of it a timely manner , you may consider some frame saver or linseed oil before sealing it up .

on my 3rd wind...

Just out of curiosity, where was the exact location of crack? I would like the inspect the same spot on my WR. I've been hearing very loud and disturbing "CRACK" sound from the rear end and have been blaming it on the dropout but it could be something else.
    sth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast