mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Pivot Link Bolts and Dropout Bolts

Hi MTBR. Long time reader first time poster!

I recently purchased a 2009 Marin Wolf Ridge. Rode it for a few weeks, then stripped it, painted it and rebuilt it with a few upgrades. Since I reassembled it I have ridden it once. I put it in my car this morning for an after work ride and noticed the rear dropouts are loose on the brake side. Have read up on all I can find and it seems like all I have to do is put some locktite on there and tighten them right up. Is this right?

Also, when the bike is sitting on the floor, I lift the seat/top tube slightly and there is a slight bit of movement in the pivots. Should there be any movement at all?

Thanks,

Scott.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    No movement for sure.
    Check all the pivots and tighten to uniform torque. Same thing goes for creaking sound.
    To preserve the appearance of pivot bolt caps, use a butter knife or longer car key. They get chewed up otherwise.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the advice. I checked and torqued all pivot bolts. As soon as I took the caps off I could see two on the LHS had undone a slight bit. If they move again I will Loctite them. Not sure what you mean about the butter knife, the caps I have are threaded and have flats on them. I have just been undoing them with a shifter.

No creaking sound on the rear, just had the non-drive side dropout come loose. So have tightened it and loctite'd it as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just as a follow up to this;

Dropouts haven't come loose again since I loctite'd them. Pivots came loose again on the next ride (even with loctite and torqued to correct specs) so I purchased some nyloc nuts and used loctite on those as well, tightened down so there was no movement and it seems to have done the trick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    if there's play when you lift it from the seat or top tube it could be your DU bushes on the rear shock.