mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My Rift Zone 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IM1966 View Post
    My Rift Zone 29er
    Very nice. Amazing bike.

mtbr member
    My new (2011) Mount Vision XM8. Got it direct from the importer today, can't wait to take it out this weekend!
    Just have to get the steerer cut down slightly, but other than that, an awesome bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics-dsc_0060-large-.jpg  

Undercaffienated
    Here is my XM8:

mtbr member
    Some nice upgrades on that XM8 hmorsi. I mentioned the possibility of upgrades and my wife gave me one of those "don't even think about it" looks. A dropper post is likely to be next on my list.

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Some nice upgrades on that XM8 hmorsi. I mentioned the possibility of upgrades and my wife gave me one of those "don't even think about it" looks. A dropper post is likely to be next on my list.
    That's because you called them 'upgrades' . Try 'riding necessities'

It's an excellent bike. I was glad to get my hands on one of the 2011 models. I love Quad link II and not too fond of the new Quad link III suspension design.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Very nice!! I've got a hold of a XM9 2011 not long ago. Don't wanted a Quad 3.0 either. Upgrades (of riding necessities) i did:

Fulcrum Red Zone wheelset (slightly wider rims for fatter tires);
    Havoc bar 750mm wide;
    142 axle rear;
    Kronolog dropper post.

A dropper post is really a necessity!! If you have one you will never ride steep terrain again with your saddle up and poking in your a$$!!

Edit: might aswell puts some pics in (which btw are not the latest with upgrades)...

mtbr member

08 Marin Alpine Trail 29er "Sparthan"

Here my 08 Marin Alpine Trail 29er build with used components with a 800 fixed budget.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well, here we go with my 08 Northside trail.

It's utmost totally customized, there's only cranks, headset and seatpost left from stock. and here's old bar and clamp on picture, it's gone already.
    Yeap, sorry fot such a crappy photo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics-marin_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi View Post
    Here is my XM8:

Are your Revelations set at 150 or 140mm? I have pulled the trigger on a pair of Rev's, but am wondering whether to drop them to 140mm, or leave them at the stock 150mm.
    If yours are at 150, how do you find the handling?
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Last of the upgrades.... it's done

is that a P-71 crown victoria parked next to the fence?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My WR upgraded with 650B No Ni's. Needed 3mm shock shim and cable tie around fork staunchion to accommodate the taller tire compared to the 650B neo 2.3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics-dscf0132.jpg  

Undercaffienated
    Are your Revelations set at 150 or 140mm? I have pulled the trigger on a pair of Rev's, but am wondering whether to drop them to 140mm, or leave them at the stock 150mm.
    If yours are at 150, how do you find the handling?
    Apologies for the very late reply, I haven't seen this earlier! I am running the Revelation at the full 150mm. I find the handling spot on and I ride in an area with plenty of climbs. The XM frame has a lower BB than previous MVs though, and I was getting more pedal strikes than I was used to with my 2009 MV. Much more stable on descents and through the rough stuff, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Kiwiplague, why change the Fox to RockShox? Special reason? And hmorsi, did you change also or did you buy frame only?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    Kiwiplague, why change the Fox to RockShox? Special reason? And hmorsi, did you change also or did you buy frame only?
    The Fox's were RL, so not much in the way of adjusment, whereas I got the 2012 dual air RCT3 Revs, so plenty of adjustments to play with.
    I did look at getting some RLC fox forks, but the cost was exorbitant compared to what I got the Revelation for. $699 vs $1249 was bit of a no brainer really.

Hmorsi - I ended up leaving them at 150mm as well, like you say, the handling seems fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ah, understand! My XM9 has a RLC and i didn't realize that the XM8 came with a RL only. I was thinking of getting a 2012 140mm Revelation RL for spare but i'm not sure...I can get a really cheap at around $300. But maybe I will wait also for a RCT3 (on offer).

Undercaffienated
    I wasn't a fan of the Float RL and already had a 2012 Revelation RL And wanted a bit more travel on the front. I realty like the Revelation.

mtbr member
    Here's a more recent pic of my bike with it's latest "riding necessities" (man I love that term, lets me get away with buying almost anything for the bike).
    Changes from original picture/spec - Rockshox Reverb seatpost, Rockshox Revelation fork, Shimano SLX m666 brakes with XT rotors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics-dsc_0173-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Wow, looking good! Only thing that's missing are green decals for the fork. SLX brakes are just amazing for the money, at least in Europe they are. Where are you from?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    Looking good mate but in three months time im gonnae be posting pics like that and youre gonnae be sitting in the house drinking beer and freezing yer baws off :thumbup:
    Aha, that's the beauty of where I live, it's known locally as "the winterless north". Won't really cool down till about june, plenty of good weather riding to go yet. It never gets too cold during the day, average of about 12 - 13 degrees celcius, so no real chance of freezing off any part of my anatomy Will still be drinking the beer though.

Wow, looking good! Only thing that's missing are green decals for the fork. SLX brakes are just amazing for the money, at least in Europe they are. Where are you from?
    New Zealand. The SLX's were from my last bike, they were the one piece of equipment from it that I just couldn't part with, they are that good. The Elixirs were okay, but in the wet the howl was enough to wake the dead, so I sold them.
    My brother is a screen printer, so I may have to see him about maybe making me some green decals to match, unless anyone knows if Rockshox make a green version?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The Fox's were RL, so not much in the way of adjusment, whereas I got the 2012 dual air RCT3 Revs, so plenty of adjustments to play with.
    I did look at getting some RLC fox forks, but the cost was exorbitant compared to what I got the Revelation for. $699 vs $1249 was bit of a no brainer really.

Hmorsi - I ended up leaving them at 150mm as well, like you say, the handling seems fine.
    I find I can tune Fox RL's better than my Rev RLti's because you can change oil volume and oil weight where as on the Revs it's only oil weight. They ride differentlty and prefer either on different bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    I find I can tune Fox RL's better than my Rev RLti's because you can change oil volume and oil weight where as on the Revs it's only oil weight. They ride differentlty and prefer either on different bikes.
    They were FIT damper type, so I'm not sure you can change oil height on them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What I've found with the Fox stuff is that many bike mfg gets them custom tuned so it's a lottery as to what they are going to ride like . Takes lots of fiddling to get them back to square one.

How's the riding up in Glenbervie these days. I haven't ridden there for 4 or 5 years now. I think the shops used to have trail maps?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast