TRANCER

Old Marin to new Marin

I posted this in the Vintage board as well but thought maybe i should have posted it here.

1994 Marin Zig Zag Trail with a few newer parts. The fork is just a crappy fork i slapped on there in the meantime but plan on replacing it with a Marz 80 mm travel fork when i have a few bucks laying around. I am keeping the original Shimano LX cranks but only leaving one speed up front. And will have 9 speed in the back. The wheels are some new wheels i picked up dirt cheap on CL. Original seatpost. WTB Devo saddle. Raceface stem and riser bars. I got the brake therapy device to convert the rear to accept disc brakes. It will also have a 2006 xt shifter and xtr rear der. I know the fork is a tad too high but like i said.It will eventually take the 80 mm Marz when its done. Btw the stickers are original stickers just like the ones that originally came on this bike in 1994. Let me know what you guys think

This was it before when i got it about a year ago...

Ride

IÑAKY
    Jan 2011
    Awesome!
    I really like it, good job.I like the combination between black and orange.¿where did you buy the original stickers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That looks pretty sweet! I am getting a 1993 in a couple of days and plan to do something very similar. Fortunatly work in the decal business too so I can re-invent some graphics for it.
    Not sure about the rear brake though and what that will take to put a disk on it...

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray
    That looks pretty sweet! I am getting a 1993 in a couple of days and plan to do something very similar. Fortunatly work in the decal business too so I can re-invent some graphics for it.
    Not sure about the rear brake though and what that will take to put a disk on it...
    I bought the Brake Therapy disk brake conversion kit. Its expensive ($150) but well worth it. A few other options I looked at did not convince me. This thing is awesome and very precise. I will post pictures later on when I get home.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

'94 Eldridge Grade

Nice job!

I'll share my project...you might find something useful.

In 2007, I bought a '94 Eldridge Grade frame for the equivalent of $40. Since I had an extra set of disc brakes in my tool box, I made a mounting tab and had it TIG welded at a machine shop (about $10). I removed all the other mounting posts to make it disc specific. Not too many people will agree to this, but it works for me.

I have tried a couple of forks and settled on a '03 Marz MX pro. The ETA feature gets me closer to the 50mm travel of the Manitou...the 105 mm helps a lot on rough trail rides.

I have sold my other equipment and have maintained only this bike!

Looks like I can't post images or links, but If interested, I have an earlier post of this project on this forum and images of it on my multiply site: vlm414 - project '94 marin eldridge grade.

Enjoy!

Vic