Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Official Marin Wolf Ridge with Naild R3ACT suspension thread.

10K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  smoothmoose 
#1 ·
OMG, this is cool! Those who have ridden it, say it's as good as the hype. I just love when something different and ground breaking comes along. I just hope they have a 27.5 version.

#39 ·
Great, thorough review! Bike Radar consistently puts together great reviews! I'm just gonna add some thoughts based on my three months aboard a Wolf Ridge Pro here in the interior of British Columbia.

First, I think it's a bit unfortunate that they started the review with what amounted to a broken bike. I felt from the video that it really jaded their review, even after receiving the updated/unbroken bike. I have not personally experienced the flex in the rear end that they complained about. Granted, I'm not riding a broken bike.

I have done a tonne of very steep, technical climbing on mine, and have not experienced the challenges they found in pedalling over obstacles. Granted, I am on the Float X2, and have added a bit of low speed rebound compression, so maybe that's the key... slowing the rebound a little bit.

I also have not experienced the 'tourquing' they referred to in the suspension. Yes, under hard braking over rough terrain, the suspension packs in, but that's largely a side effect of an inherently single pivot designs (as this is). I found the same thing aboard the Yeti switch system. The trade off is a bike that remains plush and progressive through it's travel, but very positive when pedalling. If anything, it reminds me I need to brake less... or be more disciplined in how and where I'm braking.

Geometry wise, it also works. I have owned an Attack Trail Pro, a Rift Zone Pro, and now the Wolf Ridge Pro. What all three shared was predictable, neutral geometry. They aren't the slackest, they aren't the steepest, but it's predictable, and consistent. No, it's not nearly as slack, or as long as some of the other long travel 29ers out there, but you're also not going to find any of those others (except for maybe the SB5.5) to be as well rounded.

I love the bike for the fact that I can be descending technical terrain (comfortably) and then punch up a technical climb immediately afterwards (as a plethora of which exists here in BC) without having to reach for a lockout, or worrying about all the efficiency lost by not having the lockout engaged because I didn't have time to safely switch it on.

This bike does exactly what Marin says it does, and all I can say is please don't let this review cloud your interest in the bike, because it truly is an amazing, well balanced, FUN (!!!!) bike!

#3 ·
@ 4:15 or so, he's compressing the suspension. The derailleur cage is flexing forward. This indicates that the BB to axle distance is getting longer, and there is a rearward axle path. This in turn, usually means that pedal forces will oppose suspension compression.

It still might be very good suspension, but this refutes the claim that 'pedal forces and suspension are 100% isolated from each other".

#5 ·
It still might be very good suspension, but this refutes the claim that 'pedal forces and suspension are 100% isolated from each other".
I agree. Look at the piece on vitalmtb, Voss says enough blatantly untrue things that a reasonable person would be pretty skeptical of everything else he says. (my personal favorite: that the bike is maybe 10% of the mass of the rider - in the context of a 30# bike).
There's also the obvious question: if this design needs that little damping, why did they spec one of the most expensive, sophisticated dampers you can buy? They said they got it de-tuned from Fox, but again, if it's not relying on damping, why not get an inexpensive mono-tube shock (according to that Vorsprung video, the main advantage of twin-tube dampers is you can get really high damper forces without risking cavitation)?

I'm sure it's different than what's out there now. It might be great, but it's almost guaranteed to under-deliver on their promises just because they've made such outrageous claims.

#7 ·
I am more interested in how the bike rides than whatever is claimed.

I would also like to know how much rear tire clearance there is and what size tire will fit in the back.

I may consider one of these models for a future purchase along with the 2017 Specialized Enduro 29/6 Fattie.

It is kind of odd that they don't recommend it for bike parks (or was not designed for)...seems like a fairly strong frame.

I didn't find a mailing list on their site, hopefully they will have some demo bikes to ride in Southern California.

#9 ·
I would also like to know how much rear tire clearance there is and what size tire will fit in the back.

It is kind of odd that they don't recommend it for bike parks (or was not designed for)...seems like a fairly strong frame.
They claim clearance for a 2.6" tire in the back, which seems very reasonable to me given the intended usage. With that swingarm design, I wouldn't be surprised if you could even downsize to 27.5 and run a 3.0" tire if you wanted.

Regarding the strength, it has a definite visual mass to it, but it also has some thin link arms, a relatively unsupported bottom bracket, and that whole telescope assembly all placed in one of the most highly stressed areas on the bike. I'm not saying it couldn't take bike park riding, just that the visual strength may not be representative of the mechanical strength of it.

#24 ·
I believe this is the patent is here:

https://www.google.com/patents/US20140265208

Figures 8a/b/c seem to describe the Marin/Polygon design. The relevant claims are:

The present invention solves the above need in the art with a linked suspension system that maintains the instant center of rotation rearward of the front frame of the vehicle. The system is usable on most any type of ground-engaging vehicle to improve the suspension action. Thus, the shocks and springs of the suspension do not have to be as specially designed and tuned to deal with pedal-induced forces, braking forces, rider bob and other inputs. The suspension linkage design itself cancels or counters much of the undesirable, energy and control-robbing movements.

The suspension has a slide link coupled to the frame and to the rear arm. The slide link is rotationally fixed to the arm to rotationally move therewith. The slide link is pivotally secured to the frame to rotate relative to the frame.

[0080]
The anti-squat 160 and pro-squat 162 zones for the control arm link are also shown in FIG. 8A. The control arm zones are shown independent of the slider zones. The interplay between the combination of zones can be used to create desired suspension characteristics. The control arm anti-squat zone 160 is created by moving the forward link pivot 100 above the chain tension vector 146 (assuming the rearward link pivot 102 is lower relative to the vector 146. The control arm pro-squat zone 162 is created by moving the forward link pivot down in its mounting location.
[0081]
FIG. 8B depicts the resolution of forces with regard to the slider 88 and the chain tension vector. As discussed above, the angles change depending on the front/rear gearing combination and on the amount of suspension compression of the rear triangle relative to the front triangle. The resultant inline force is the amount the slider is pushed into or pulled out of the cylinder to stiffen or soften the suspension. Of course, this is independent of other links and forces. The angle of the slider in the uncompressed and compressed states is shown at 168, 168′. The angles are shown at 124, 126. The chain force is shown at 146 with the perpendicular force of 164 and inline force of 166.

========================
So, best I can tell, what's going on is:

The slider is a telescopic member which acts to move the instant center of rotation throughout the travel, such that the force of the chain is always exactly perpendicular to the forces being acted on the swingarm by the ground. See figure 8b. The slider might be a spring or a damper, or both - the patent is general on this. I think that Mt Cycle Shawn is hinting, is that rider weight affects the slider travel, so the spring, or dampiness of it, would need to be tuned to the riders weight to maintain the perpendicular relationship.

But, there might actually be some secret sauce here.

#27 ·
Cant wait to hear end user opinions on this bike. I rode one at a local demo and it did everything they claim it would. It climbed better than any bike ive ridden in recent memory or was at least on par with my Spider 275c. It handled chunk smooth and controlled. It simoly felt great, except for some odd loss of rear traction around hardpacked corners. It felt like the tire was skipping. Going from traction to no traction then back to traction. Others claimed the rear felt vauge or flexy even. Im hoping it was just a tire pressure or setup issue because i really want to like this bike. FWIW, the tires were WTB Breakouts which I've run recently on my Evil Calling so I'm familiar with their feel.

#28 ·
Ok, this bike absolutely rips! Yes, it does everything they say it does. It is such an interesting feel... you pedal and it feels like a quick XC pedaling bike, but is still incredibly active. You can pedal up technical, chunky climbs, and you can feel every pedal stroke moving you forward with efficiency, yet, the bike is so active through the rough climbing! It is truly an amazing feel.

Descending, the bike descends like a true 160mm bike! The one thing I did notice (especially compared to my Attack Trail) was that it ramped up quite noticeably on bigger hits. Not a negative feeling of performance, just different than what I was expecting in 160mm. That said, it was a very well mannered and controlled bike through all descending terrain that I took it on. It definitely doesn't quite "pop" like my Attack Trail or Rift Zone does, so that will take a bit of getting used to once I get my WR Pro, but this bike rips! I also imagine that with the Float X2 on my Pro, I'll be able to tune the progression more and have more rebound adjustability than the Monarch had on the 8 I rode. Excited to play around with it.

My Pro will be here mid-August apparently, which I am incredibly stoked about. My WR rides were on the 8, which I found to be an amazingly valued bike! So much so that I contemplated changing my order to the 8 or 9 instead of the Pro... but I am a sucker for vanity (and mild performance improvements).

Overall, I am super impressed with this bike. Marin not only knows how to spec bikes really well, but they also jump behind technology that actually works (as their quadlink and isotrac bikes have all proven too).

#31 ·
So i've had my Pro now for 4 days, and have put 50km on it. Man, this bike is amazing. It does everything they say it does. It pedals as good as my Rift Zone, leaps better than my Attack Trail pedaled, and is a very composed bike on the trails, and through rough chunder.

It jumps, it corners, and it hauls ass into lines faster than many other bikes I've ridden.

I'll be taking it to my first enduro this weekend at Sun Peaks Resort.

The pro is an amazing bike spec wise, but the real value lies in the Wolf Ridge 8! I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Wolf Ridge 8! You don't need the high end rear suspension because the bike controls itself really well. Plus, the GX Eagle rides really really well with the XX1 providing only slightly crisper shifts.

Anyways, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting in and ordering a Wolf Ridge 8....

#33 ·
So i've had my Pro now for 4 days, and have put 50km on it. Man, this bike is amazing. It does everything they say it does. It pedals as good as my Rift Zone, leaps better than my Attack Trail pedaled, and is a very composed bike on the trails, and through rough chunder.

It jumps, it corners, and it hauls ass into lines faster than many other bikes I've ridden.

I'll be taking it to my first enduro this weekend at Sun Peaks Resort.

The pro is an amazing bike spec wise, but the real value lies in the Wolf Ridge 8! I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Wolf Ridge 8! You don't need the high end rear suspension because the bike controls itself really well. Plus, the GX Eagle rides really really well with the XX1 providing only slightly crisper shifts.

Anyways, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting in and ordering a Wolf Ridge 8....
I didn't see the "not for bike parks" message that I saw on their web site pages for the Wolf Ridge months ago for...Would you hesitate riding it at any bike park?

Will a 2.5 tire fit in the rear?

Just curious, what height/weight and what frame size you are riding?

Now that you have ridden it more, would you add anything to your review?

#32 ·
Rode the Wolf Ridge Pro at Outerbike in Moab last week. Route was the shuttled ride provided by Outerbike to Mag 7 and back to the event site. Bull Run>Arth's>Little Canyon>Gemini Bridges Rd back to Outerbike HQ across 191. Gold bar rim/Portal weren't really an option b/c no way to get back to the venue other than an epic ride ;-)

I've ridden bikes with 150mm or more rear suspension since the early 2000's. The Wolf Ridge charges! Amazing efficiency climbing, and the same but with suppleness (?!?!?) on more techy climbs. Easy to loft or float the front of the bike to drop off stuff and plush when you do touch down. Admittedly not the hardest set of trails (or if there were harder options, I was not aware of them.) I came away gushing. Told the reps that they should have a line of people wrapped around the booth waiting to get their hands on that bike. I asked about durability. As others have noted, the links on the side and shock strut are not at all beefy. They said that the main beam is huge and takes the loads. I kept asking, and they said they didn't know about long term durability yet. The bike is simply too new. Seemed like an honest answer to me.

I did notice upon returning the bike that I seemed to have used all the travel on the rear end based upon the o ring position. Never felt the bike bottom out, but never dropped anything that large either. Possible the ring just shim-shimmied itself down there over the course of the ride.

Did have some funkiness with the rear thru axle. Seemed tight but was getting some side to side play on the rear wheel. The rear end of the bike did not seem to be the culprit. There was no visible movement on the rear beams when trying to manipulate the the wheel. It was moving independently of the bike's rear end. I tightened the rear axle a touch, and it got a little better but not exactly sure what was going on there.

E13 Carbon wheels felt incredible. On a side note, and this may be a plus or minus, the rear hub is L-O-U-D!

This was a stellar, surprising bike to ride. How do I wrap this up? Felt like a 160mm travel rig when I wanted it to, felt like a trail bike or something with a lot less travel when conditions warranted. Craziness! I'd love to get some more saddle time on burlier trails and see how it does, but its an impressive rig.

Cheers!

#34 ·
Well, somehow I won a large brand new Wolf Ridge Pro for $4500 + shipping on eBay...so I guess I’m going to find out for myself.

I’d rather get a medium, but I didn’t think I would get a new $8600 bike for $4500 and that I was the only one to bid on it.

Maybe everyone was watching The Walking Dead when it ended...

#37 · (Edited)
I didn’t realize that the red button on the right rear swing arm is the pressure release valve you were pressing to bleed...so I’m not missing any cap.

I don’t recall that being mentioned in the reviews...bike manual seems generic.

#40 ·
I’m far from being an expert rider...but so far I also have not noticed any of the issues mentioned in that review on my Pro.

I’m wondering how the ride changes if pressure builds up in the slider and you don’t press the button to release it.

I have not taken it to higher elevations yet (such as Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear) and there has been no pressure build up on mine yet.

#41 ·
Anyboy know if they do factory demos for this bike?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.