mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New Wolfridge owner

Hi Guys,

A bit of a slow start for me owning the Marin. I bought a 2009 Wolfridge 6.8 for 1300 new and had read nothing but good things about it so i couldnt wait. When it arrived the paint of the master cylinders was blistered and discoloured but i was putting on some Formula Oro k18's anyway, it took a few days longer to arrive as it was being checked out by a mechanic, however the gearing was badly set up, ghost shifting and front mech poorly set with bad chain rub.
    I went to apply bike to the frame so flipped it upside down, 2 minutes laster there was a pool of oil on my floor from the forks, so the bike was sent back.............4 weeks later i get it back and the front mech is still poorly set up.........but i took it to the trails anyway and worked around the gears.

i have to say the bike is a bit of an animal i had it at the local trail centre, all climbing to begin with then onto the DH singletrack, it was brilliant, i was going alot faster than i normally do on the HT and it was more forgiving, i had a big grin form ear to ear when i was finnished! the trails were waterloged and it rained from start to finnish, we were filthy but what a great session we had.
    I managed to bin the bike at the end of a trail, the front wheel slid into a drainage ditch, flipped the bars and sent me sailing through the air, it was at a fair speed too, i jumped back on the bike with a stupid laugh and grin.....only after after i had straightened the bars though.

So my impressions, great fun, carves well, tyres seen to want to wash out easily on corners when you hit slightly loose stuff, this might be the fact im carving harder on it than i do on my HT. Climbing, i struggle on very steep climbs, it just dont feel right at all, almost not being able to get my legs up and round to pedal, so i tried putting the seat even higher for climbs, then when you go over the top onto a litle DH bit, hit a few bumps the saddle wants to buck you off, im trying to find a happy medium for trail centres as its a bit of everything, i guess its just a case of getting used to the bike too, any helpful tips and advice greatly appreciated.

cheers
    scott

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    so no one else in the world ever owned a wolfridge? lol

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have the 6.7 version and I like it.

I fixed the seat-height issue with a Kindshock seatpost. In the 'up' position it's just right for climbing or mellow trails, and in the 'down' position it's out of the way.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Here's what I'm talking about:

Universal Cycles -- Kind Shock i950 Height Adjustable Seatpost

You want a 30.9mm model. 385mm drop is enough. The 435mm model came out right after I bought mine, and I think I could use it... however if your legs aren't long enough the seat might go higher than you want even when the base is mounted as low as possible.

Remote vs. not-remote is up to you. Costs more, but it's kind of nice to put the seat up or down without taking your hands off the bars.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by supafly1982 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Climbing, i struggle on very steep climbs, it just dont feel right at all, almost not being able to get my legs up and round to pedal, so i tried putting the seat even higher for climbs, then when you go over the top onto a litle DH bit, hit a few bumps the saddle wants to buck you off, im trying to find a happy medium for trail centres as its a bit of everything, i guess its just a case of getting used to the bike too, any helpful tips and advice greatly appreciated.

cheers
    scott
    Are you running your set lower than you normally do on your hard tail? Otherwise I don't understand why you are having trouble turning your pedals?

Maybe it's a general question for All mountain forum.Dropper seat is obvious solution but I find I don't need one and ride mine as trail bike with seat only a smidgin lower than my XC steeds. I've got so many bikes that different seat heights plays havoc with my legs.