Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 108

Thread: New Ride!

  1. #1
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377

    New Ride! Mount Vision

    Brand spankin new 2013 Marin Mount Vision just got built up. Got it for $1200!
    Revelation front fork.
    Fox ctd shock.
    Formula RX brakes.
    SLX XT drivetrain 3x10.

    Still to do:
    Replace my Thomson Masterpiece with my new HILO remote dropper. CHECK Reverb installed*
    Put my RF NW chainring on and go to 1x10. *check*
    Put my new Syncros Carbon bars on. *check*
    Put some Schwalbes on tubeless *check*
    Get her dirty. *check*
    Nice wheelset.(probably not this year) *check*

    New Ride!-20140122_155832.jpg

    Update:
    Got done with a ride and cleaned her up. 27.3 Lbs should be 28 ish with the dropper on.
    New Ride!-20140430_172001_resized.jpg
    Update:
    Reverb 125
    New Ride!-20140507_175225_resized.jpg
    New Ride!-20140507_201206_resized.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ride!-20140430_172013_resized.jpg  

    Last edited by moefosho; 05-08-2014 at 07:16 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    106
    Sweet bike moefo, was that one of those blowout deal eBay bikes? I'm loving my rift zone! Nobody believes me when I tell them what I paid though. Great bike, enjoy!!!!

  3. #3
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by XCScott View Post
    Sweet bike moefo, was that one of those blowout deal eBay bikes? I'm loving my rift zone! Nobody believes me when I tell them what I paid though. Great bike, enjoy!!!!
    Yes it was. The auctions that started at .99 had some great deals.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    106
    Yes they did!!! Problem is it's skewed reality for me, looking to upgrade my wife's bike but having a hard time finding a new slx/xt FS bike in the $1200 range for her. I'm loving the suspension design on the Marin, What's the travel on the MV? love the colors btw has that Jedi paint scheme thing working for it!!

  5. #5
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by XCScott View Post
    Yes they did!!! Problem is it's skewed reality for me, looking to upgrade my wife's bike but having a hard time finding a new slx/xt FS bike in the $1200 range for her. I'm loving the suspension design on the Marin, What's the travel on the MV? love the colors btw has that Jedi paint scheme thing working for it!!
    Haha yeah, good luck finding that deal again. My wife rocks a hardtail that is really nice and that works for all of the riding that we do together.

    The Mount Vision uses Quad Link 3.0 and has 140mm travel front and rear and its awesome!
    I like the flat black color scheme as well. Putting on my carbon bars, dropper post, and Narrow wide ring this weekend.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ciocc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    139
    Congrats on the new ride!

    I scored a 2012 XM8 last year from the same seller and I was stupid enough to let it go last month. I'm missing it! This bike is way underrated IMHO.

  7. #7
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc View Post
    Congrats on the new ride!

    I scored a 2012 XM8 last year from the same seller and I was stupid enough to let it go last month. I'm missing it! This bike is way underrated IMHO.
    Agreed. I love the Quad link 3.0 suspension so far.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    106
    I third that sentiment.

    I was so worried about pedal bob on the rift zone as it is my first FS, but I have nothing but high praise for the suspension design. On the trail setting, It doesnt feel any different from my hard tail until I get into the nasty stuff roots, rocks etc. I'm loving the QL 3.0.

    Moefo you had a chance to break it in yet?

  9. #9
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by XCScott View Post
    I third that sentiment.

    I was so worried about pedal bob on the rift zone as it is my first FS, but I have nothing but high praise for the suspension design. On the trail setting, It doesnt feel any different from my hard tail until I get into the nasty stuff roots, rocks etc. I'm loving the QL 3.0.

    Moefo you had a chance to break it in yet?
    Yeah, I took it for a ride through some snow and ice trails. It was a bit sketchy, but the bike was a blast to ride.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Moefosho: Great bike! Is this a 16 inch frame i.e. size S?

  11. #11
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Yes its a 16

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Thanks, mine will arrive tomorrow. Also a 16". Too bad small frames are never used for websites of catalogs.

  13. #13
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    I am 5'9" and it is just a tad bit on the small side. I put wider bars and set the saddle back and the reach feels really nice now. I think a 17.5 would have been perfect, but oh well.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Good to know. I'm the same length. This bike however will mostly be used by my son. For him this bike maybe a bit too big (he has a 15" bike now) and for me on the small side. I also own a 2011 MV in 17.5" which suits me perfect. Geometry isn't a lot different looking into effective toptube (less than 1"). I guess a 16" with a bigger stem (80mm compared to 60mm) will help me fit on this bike.

  15. #15
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    I had a 2007 Mount Vision with a 17" frame and I think this one fits me better and has a little extra stand over room which is nice. Both of them are on the small side, but to me that is comfortable.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ciocc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    139
    I too had a Quad 3 MV, but a medium (17.5"). It fitted me very well with a 710mm handlebar + 50mm 10 deg rise stem (Renthal Duo) + 20mm setback seat post (KS i900). I'm 5'8" (173cm) but long torso, short leg (29.5" cycling inseam).

  17. #17
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    New Ride!-20140319_195929_resized.jpgNew Ride!-20140319_195941_resized.jpgNew Ride!-20140319_195959_resized.jpg
    Finally got around to putting some parts on. Next up is dropper.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Nice! Mine came with an X-Fusion hilo dropper post. I have gotten rid of the SLX crank and got a SRAM S1400 crank with a direct mount Wolftooth no drop ring. Also 1 X 10 thus.

  19. #19
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    Nice! Mine came with an X-Fusion hilo dropper post. I have gotten rid of the SLX crank and got a SRAM S1400 crank with a direct mount Wolftooth no drop ring. Also 1 X 10 thus.
    Yeah, I have the XFusion HILO as well, but I just havent put it on yet. How do you like the Remote for it? It looks awkward.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    I like it! Even better than my Kronolog remote. It is very smooth to use and needs low 'force' to use.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ciocc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    139
    @moefosho, your xm7 is looking good! Is that RF a 30t?

  22. #22
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc View Post
    @moefosho, your xm7 is looking good! Is that RF a 30t?
    Thanks man. Yeah its a 30t by RF. I love it.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Just weighed mine, in the new set up (1*10) and without pedals it is 29.25 pounds. I'm going to change the bar also into an Easton EC70 riser at 170gr.

  24. #24
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    Just weighed mine, in the new set up (1*10) and without pedals it is 29.25 pounds. I'm going to change the bar also into an Easton EC70 riser at 170gr.
    The wheelset is the heavy point on this bike. My next upgrade will be new wheels setup tubeless.

  25. #25
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Got to go for a couple hour ride this weekend. Still pretty muddy out there. Loved every second of it.
    New Ride!-20140322_125506_resized.jpg
    New Ride!-20140322_125515_resized.jpg

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Thx, could be a future upgrade for me too. Do you of the Ardent tires are the folding type? Guess so for a bike in this price catagory.....but it isn't written on them.

    Nice muddy pics!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ciocc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    The wheelset is the heavy point on this bike. My next upgrade will be new wheels setup tubeless.
    FYI, there are a few SunRingle Charger Expert from the *bay for $250. I emailed the seller and they confirmed that the rear hub was convertible to 14x142. I think that's a great deal of a high quality wheelset.

  28. #28
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    Thx, could be a future upgrade for me too. Do you of the Ardent tires are the folding type? Guess so for a bike in this price catagory.....but it isn't written on them.

    Nice muddy pics!
    I believe they are a wire bead. I am putting Nobby Nic Evo tires front and rear.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Ok, so I got curious and took a look. They are indeed wire......so according to the Maxxis website 725grams. According to the Alex Rims website the rims weigh 500grams each.

    I guess there are 500grams to be saved by changing wheels and tires.

  30. #30
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Update.

    I bought some rhythm elite wheels because I need something that is wide and strong enough for downhill. They are still lighter than the alex wheelset.

    I also picked up nobby nic evo for the front and racing ralph for the rear. havent done the swap yet though.

    Here is a pic my buddy snapped at the top of a long climb, while we were waiting for the rest of the group. Great bike.

    The Leverage Ratio of the rear suspension is fantastic. Great small bump compliance, and and ramps up at the end of the travel. Gives it a bottomless feel.
    New Ride!-riverside-4.27.jpg

  31. #31
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Update.

    Did some garage time and put my new wheelset on and went from a UST Nobby Nic rear to a Racing Ralph Evo TL.

    Set up super easy.

    Dropped over a pound in the rear(and now faster rolling) and probably close to a half pound up front. Trail test will be this afternoon after work.
    New Ride!-20140427_172446_resized.jpg

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Nice upgrade! Looking sharp!

    I need to look into an upgrade. First real ride with my son last week resulted in a chain rubbing the chainstay. So with the 26t WTC on front. Need to look at the length of the chain.

    Wheels will also follow. Not sure what to buy or put together yet.

  33. #33
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Thanks man. This bike is becoming better than I ever thought it could. Waiting for the rest of the snow to melt off the resorts so I can see how it handles DH trails.

    26T is really small. You def need to take some links out.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    For what I have ridden the bike I also like the rear suspension. Just soakes up everything!

  35. #35
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    27.3 lbs as is. Should be 28 ish with the dropper. Now just waiting for the snow on the mtns to melt so I can do some dh runs.
    New Ride!-20140430_172001_resized.jpgNew Ride!-20140430_172013_resized.jpg

  36. #36
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Update:
    Reverb came in yesterday. Like a kid on christmas, it had to be installed.
    New Ride!-20140507_175225_resized.jpg
    New Ride!-20140507_201206_resized.jpg

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Nice! I have some real play in my X-Fusion. Don't notice it when riding though.

    I have figured out what upgrade to buy. I would like to put the newly introduced X1 and the newly introduced Sram Roam40 wheels on. Like those a lot. I already have the correct crankset. Just have to wait a month or two before it comes available. The Roam wheels only weigh 1560grams (Sram) in 26" (of course, first wait and see in real life). And easy to ride tubeless!

  38. #38
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    I was expecting some play in the reverb but there isnt any right now.

    X1 is pretty sweet, but I cant imagine having to spend $300 every time i replace a cassette. I can get a brand new XT cassette with a 42t cog for $120 and it offers the same range.

    The Roam wheels are claimed to be pretty light, but the have too narrow of inner diameter for me. My rims have a 23mm id and that was pushing it. But I only spent $280 on them so im not upset.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Yeah, I have 23mm rims on my 2011 MV for more agressive riding the Alps. But for riding in the Netherlands 21mm will do fine. I hope the X1 cassette will (at least) last through 2 XT cassettes. My XX1 cassette is now on my 2011 MV since December 2012 and hardly to detect wear. Let me say that I ride my roadbike more overhere (mostly very flat in this part of the Netherlands) so the milage that I put on the XX1 will not be stunning.

  40. #40
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Ah, That makes sense. Must be rough having 2 mount visions

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    It is ;-)

    Well the 2011 is a M and the 2013 a S. The latter will be used by me occasionally. My son rode it a few weeks ago in the Alps. He was a lot faster downhill than on his hardtail. He loved the XM7!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shawneeboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    96
    Thats an awesome bike -- there's a LBS that has one and I've been dragging my fiancee there every week so I can drool over it...

    Love the Mount Visions

  43. #43
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by shawneeboy View Post
    Thats an awesome bike -- there's a LBS that has one and I've been dragging my fiancee there every week so I can drool over it...

    Love the Mount Visions
    Thanks man. I had a Mount Vision before this one. Great bikes.

  44. #44
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Got a lot of riding in lately. Been pushing my limits of miles, difficulty, speed, and features. The bike takes it all in stride. The Reverb has absolutely changed my confidence level.

    New Ride!-20140531_104357_resized.jpgNew Ride!-20140531_110153_resized.jpgNew Ride!-img_277618894552610_resized.jpegNew Ride!-img_364062138676549_resized.jpegClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_277618894552610_resized.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	898187New Ride!-img_364179437382602_resized.jpeg

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Nice pics again! I have put my 2011 MV back to back with the 2013 MV last weekend....I have to say I like the ride of the 2013 MV more!.....although I really like the looks of the 2011 MV Quad 2.0. I hope to test the new 2014 MV next weekend. Lets see how that will compare to the older models...

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2
    Hi,

    This is my fisrt post so I would like to say hi to everybody !

    Hi moefosho,

    You have a super nice bike (2013 Mount Vision Xm7) I really like all the upgrades you did it.

    I also got the same bike in Ebay. And what can I say, I'm super happy. It's my first full suspension bike and it's another world, waaaww. I like all the components that this bike has. I'm not thinking in upgrade anything because I don't have money basically. The only thing I don't like about this bike the 3*10 set up. I never use the biggest ring. Also the chain noise is pretty annoying sometimes. I was wondering what kind of 2*10 set up would be a good option and what kind of chain guide would match this set up.
    What would you recommend? I would like to know what experience people think about that.

    Thanks!!

  47. #47
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by osherpa View Post
    Hi,

    This is my fisrt post so I would like to say hi to everybody !

    Hi moefosho,

    You have a super nice bike (2013 Mount Vision Xm7) I really like all the upgrades you did it.

    I also got the same bike in Ebay. And what can I say, I'm super happy. It's my first full suspension bike and it's another world, waaaww. I like all the components that this bike has. I'm not thinking in upgrade anything because I don't have money basically. The only thing I don't like about this bike the 3*10 set up. I never use the biggest ring. Also the chain noise is pretty annoying sometimes. I was wondering what kind of 2*10 set up would be a good option and what kind of chain guide would match this set up.
    What would you recommend? I would like to know what experience people think about that.

    Thanks!!
    Thanks for the compliments.

    If you want to go 2x10 and don't use the range of the big ring, you can always replace the big ring with a bash guard, and just limit the front derailleur. That way you still have a 32t front ring (for best suspension performance) and a granny ring for the big climbs. And its pretty cheap.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1
    Thank you! moefosho,
    Last edited by koojas; 08-11-2014 at 09:18 PM.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    290
    Wondering if 650b wheel fits out back? Pretty sweet pricing on the bay. The QL 2.0 of course converts like butta'.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

  50. #50
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by socalscott View Post
    Wondering if 650b wheel fits out back? Pretty sweet pricing on the bay. The QL 2.0 of course converts like butta'.
    It might work with a really low profile tire and a shim, but I would rather have a real tire on there.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    91
    I picked up on of these last month and just got a creaming deal. I actually wasn't planning on buying a bike for a few months but I placed a low ball offer on one of these, forgot about it, and was suprised a few days later with an email letting me know that I won. $950 after shipping for an XM7.

    For anyone who is considering buying one of these, the wheels are convertible to tubeless using the Stan's Enduro rim strips. I used 2 wraps of electrical tape to build up the center channel and with a compressor and a little effort I got the beads to seal up. Stopped leaking air the 2nd day and I have had no issues with burping since, including one day at a a downhill park in Colorado. They are a little heavy and obviously not as nice as a set of tubeless wheels, but for $40, the conversion can be a nice stop gap.

  52. #52
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    ^^^ that is a fantastic deal.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20
    Finally pulled the trigger and bought a Pike for my 2013 xm7. I'll report back as to how it handles when I install it

  54. #54
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurphey View Post
    Finally pulled the trigger and bought a Pike for my 2013 xm7. I'll report back as to how it handles when I install it
    What model Pike did you buy? What are you setting the travel at?

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    What model Pike did you buy? What are you setting the travel at?
    I bought the 150mm RCT3 version. I didn't want travel adjust

  56. #56
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    These Guys are still selling the 2013's. I've bid on a few and am watching them all the time. I let an xm 8 go last night. Seems like the xm 8 is going for around 16- $1700.
    Without riding it i'm skeptical but man where am i going to find a bike spec'd like that for under 2 g's ?

  57. #57
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    These Guys are still selling the 2013's. I've bid on a few and am watching them all the time. I let an xm 8 go last night. Seems like the xm 8 is going for around 16- $1700.
    Without riding it i'm skeptical but man where am i going to find a bike spec'd like that for under 2 g's ?
    Unless you really want full XT, I would go for the XM7. The Rev is better than the 2013 Fox forks. I wouldn't say the Easton Vice wheels are much better, you would probably want to upgrade either set down the road.

    The suspension design is legit. The parts are the best for the price. And you get a dropper. Stock you are looking about 30lbs.

  58. #58
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    I've never used SLX but i hear that its good. I like the look of the xm 8 but to save a few hundred is nice too. I wonder how many more they have.

  59. #59
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    I've never used SLX but i hear that its good. I like the look of the xm 8 but to save a few hundred is nice too. I wonder how many more they have.
    I think you would be pretty dang happy with either one.

  60. #60
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    How tall are you and what size did you buy?
    I'm 6ft and judging by the chart 19" seems right compared to what i'm currently riding

  61. #61
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    5'10" and I got the 16" but the 17.5" would have fit better. I like a smaller frame though. You should probably go with the 19.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Wow, there are indeed loads of these bikes on the bay. Guess they are dumped by Marin? Still lovin mine too. Hate to admit (and said it before) but it rides better than my 2011 Mount Vision! Getting a XD-driver (Novetec) for the standard wheelset, which runs on Novatec hubs, this week. Hopefully I can upgrade to Sram X1 somewhere next month. The standard XM7 wheels are heavy.....but budgetwise they need to wait for replacement :-)

  63. #63
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    Last question then i'll make my decision. How is the mount vision as an xc bike? Not meaning a race thoroughbred, but general xc riding with lots of climbing. If i pull the trigger i'll unfortunately have to unload my Titus Racer X. I'm hoping for something that can climb well and handle the chunky stuff better that the X.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Well, I ride in the Alps a few times a year. That's were the Mount Vision really goes best. The rest of the year I ride in the very flat Netherlands (what's in a name), so lots of XC. And it handles just fine!

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    136
    The MV is a very competent climber. The suspension design keeps traction very well on steep uphills. The only neg is its weight compared to a dedicated XC bike.

  66. #66
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    shoot my XC bike weighs about 28lbs. I have it more set up for general trail riding... big tires, beefier wheels etc..

  67. #67
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    The quad link suspension design is built around being a great pedal platform. If you have ridden a DW link bike you know what I am talking about.

    Also, my MV is just under 28lbs with the dropper post on it. It is not super light, nor do i consider it a XC race bike, but it sure is quick for a 140mm aluminum trail bike.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    I've never used SLX but i hear that its good. I like the look of the xm 8 but to save a few hundred is nice too. I wonder how many more they have.
    I bought an XM7 earlier this year. I am really enjoying the bike. I have owned Marins since the mid 90's so seeing a good deal and buying one was a no brainer for me. I was happy with my hard tail but thought it would be nice to have a FS bike to play around, but I certainly wasn't going to pay >$2000 anytime soon. I'm a smaller person ( 5'8") so the 26" wheels seem fine to me. Didn't really see a 29" FS bike for me and well, the 26" versus 650B, discussion seemed irrelevant when I could get a good deal on this bike.

    Before I bought it I contacted the seller and they told me that they had sixteen of the 16" XM7's for sale. If you email them, they may just tell you how many they have left of the model you are interested.

  69. #69
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    oh cool... i will do that
    thanks

  70. #70
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by uclamatt2007 View Post
    I picked up on of these last month and just got a creaming deal. I actually wasn't planning on buying a bike for a few months but I placed a low ball offer on one of these, forgot about it, and was suprised a few days later with an email letting me know that I won. $950 after shipping for an XM7.

    For anyone who is considering buying one of these, the wheels are convertible to tubeless using the Stan's Enduro rim strips. I used 2 wraps of electrical tape to build up the center channel and with a compressor and a little effort I got the beads to seal up. Stopped leaking air the 2nd day and I have had no issues with burping since, including one day at a a downhill park in Colorado. They are a little heavy and obviously not as nice as a set of tubeless wheels, but for $40, the conversion can be a nice stop gap.
    What size? That's amazing... I'm afraid i missed the boat on the 19" ... if you decide to sell by some chance, let me know

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    What size? That's amazing... I'm afraid i missed the boat on the 19" ... if you decide to sell by some chance, let me know
    It's a 15". I honestly don't see me getting rid of this bike for a long time. I have been very impressed.

    I really think the price I got it for was just a complete fluke. It was over $200 less than any XM7 in any size had sold for in the past 2 months. Just right place right time.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    136
    950 is incredible, but that's ebay for you. Since we're on the topic, I'm pretty sure I bought the very first MV that crosslake ever put up on ebay (2012 XM8 Md). At the time it was not at all clear that they had apparently bought Marin's entire leftover stock so I happily paid their starting bid of 1800. Over the next months they began to sell them with no minimum bid and I saw XM8s go as low as about 1500 and as high as 2100. No regrets since I love the bike (though the fox fork is a PITA).

  73. #73
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertride View Post
    950 is incredible, but that's ebay for you. Since we're on the topic, I'm pretty sure I bought the very first MV that crosslake ever put up on ebay (2012 XM8 Md). At the time it was not at all clear that they had apparently bought Marin's entire leftover stock so I happily paid their starting bid of 1800. Over the next months they began to sell them with no minimum bid and I saw XM8s go as low as about 1500 and as high as 2100. No regrets since I love the bike (though the fox fork is a PITA).
    Yeah, I would take the Revelation over the 2013 Fox every day of the week.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Yes, me too! Even of the Revelation is only the RL model, it is better than my 2011 140 float fit RLC!

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    What model Pike did you buy? What are you setting the travel at?
    I can finally report back what the bike is like with the Pike. It honestly makes the bike so much more fun. I felt way more comfortable and confident doing the larger drops and jumps than when i had the revelation. Having a usable low speed compression is amazing.

    As far as the bike's handling is concerned, I thought the bike felt more comfortable in the seated position. I was afraid putting a 13mm longer fork would slacken out an already slack seatube on the bike but I didn't notice it at all. I did move the seat forward a couple millimeters and removed a spacer under the bars to lower them.

    I would definitely recommend upgrading the fork to anyone riding these generation Mount Visions. I'll post a picture sometime today

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20
    here is a picture of it

    New Ride!-bike.jpg

  77. #77
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    ^^^
    Nice!

    Now it just needs one of these to go with the Pike and the Dropper
    New Ride!-rockshox-monarch-plus-debonair-saris-mercanti-2.jpg

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20
    maybe one day....brakes will be the next thing I will replace

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    Not sure if a plus shock will fit.....but let us know if you are going to try!!

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20
    I am going to revalve or add a volume spacer the current shock to make it more progressive before I get a shock with a piggy back. It will definitely be a tight squeeze, especially with a waterbottle

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    290
    Racer X to MV was a big improvement in my experience.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

  82. #82
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by socalscott View Post
    Racer X to MV was a big improvement in my experience.
    You were on a racer x also? I think it's a great bike but, but l'm ready for a change

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    290
    U'll never come across an MV on the trail either, btw. lol So yeah, way more refined and easy on the body. Just have to let go of the Titus X factor.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

  84. #84
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by socalscott View Post
    U'll never come across an MV on the trail either, btw. lol So yeah, way more refined and easy on the body. Just have to let go of the Titus X factor.
    Can you tell me what size x you were on and what size MV you are currently on?

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292


    X1 on mine :-)

  86. #86
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    New pics from my Saturday ride.
    New Ride!-20140913_132633_resized.jpg
    New Ride!-20140913_122309_resized.jpg
    The 30T with 11-36 was fine for 99% of the climb to the top (3000ft climb) but I dont think I would be able to clear those other sections with a 42t rear anyway.
    I have to say though, this bike descends significantly better than my 2007 mount vision.
    This was the biggest test i have thrown at the Shimano m615 brakes and they passed with flying colors. Modulation isnt quite as good as my Formulas and they dont have quite as much power, but they amount they put out is good enough for 40 minutes of descending. No fade, no squeal, no issues.

  87. #87
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    Won the auction on the last 19" xm 7. $1425. A little more than I hoped but it will be a good deal if I dig the bike

  88. #88
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Nice! Even if you don't like the frame, you got a good deal on components

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

  89. #89
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    I'm looking forward to the first ride. I just hope it climbs well (lots of long steep ones around here). I've always ridden straight up xc bikes. I wanted more of a "trail" bike. The specs, geometry and price of the xm seem to fit the bill

  90. #90
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    Anyone have trouble adjusting the RX brakes on your new xm7? i'm getting nasty drag but can't seem to sort it

  91. #91
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    Anyone have trouble adjusting the RX brakes on your new xm7? i'm getting nasty drag but can't seem to sort it
    Is it dragging on one side? both sides? not retracting? just at certain times or constant? Have you bled the brakes? Are they overfilled?

    I never had any issues.

  92. #92
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,377

    Re: New Ride!

    Remove the caliper bleed screw (watch out for the tiny O-ring) push the pistons all the way into the bores, replace the bleed screw. This is best done with the caliper off the bike and pads removed so you don't contaminate the pads & rotor with brake fluid. Have a rag handy to clean up the dribble of brake fluid from the bleeder.
    No moss...

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    136
    Yes, I had this on my xm8 to the extent that I could barely get the rear wheel off. First just try pressing the pistons in carefully, If they won't retract then open the bleed screw and then push them in. A little dot fluid will come out so make sure you are prepared because that stuff is nasty. I also needed to straighten the rotors a drop.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    292
    How did you try to sort the drag?

  95. #95
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Remove the caliper bleed screw (watch out for the tiny O-ring) push the pistons all the way into the bores, replace the bleed screw. This is best done with the caliper off the bike and pads removed so you don't contaminate the pads & rotor with brake fluid. Have a rag handy to clean up the dribble of brake fluid from the bleeder.
    Thanks. Got front working good, but can't get the axle out of the back wheel

  96. #96
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    I was just trying to push the piston in

  97. #97
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    don't know if these pics explain anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ride!-imag0046.jpg  

    New Ride!-imag0048.jpg  


  98. #98
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    843
    Oops wrong forum. This was meant for Wheels and Tires. Can't get rear wheel off

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Have you had any problems with the chain dropping on the 1x10 w/out a chain guide?

  100. #100
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by scroll24_7 View Post
    Have you had any problems with the chain dropping on the 1x10 w/out a chain guide?
    I run a Narrow Wide chainring up front and the XT rear Der has a clutch. No dropped chains to date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-28-2013, 04:32 AM
  2. 10/3/12 Springs area To ride or not to ride.....Ride.
    By hitechredneck in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 09:50 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 01:13 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-13-2011, 11:30 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2011, 10:00 PM

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •