mtbr member

New 2011 Nail Trail 29er

Picked this bike up for a spectacular deal last week. My first 29er and I love it. Stock except for the Specialized saddle. Plan on going tubeless as soon as it's time to buy new tires. Got all the materials but hear the Conti Race Kings are not good candidates for a tubless setup.

Hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2011 Nail Trail 29er-boss.jpg  

New 2011 Nail Trail 29er-boss2.jpg  

New 2011 Nail Trail 29er-boss3.jpg  

mtbr member
    I rented that same bike at Tsali this weekend. It was great, I was very impressed

The perfessor
    If I can get the local shop to do a trade (because they do make trades), I want to swap a magnesium Paketa road bike (full Ultegra set with Easton semi-aero wheels, 18 lbs. fully built) for new Bolinas Ridge 29er.....
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    I got the bike for $800, from a shop that was closing. I was planning on spending about 1k for a entry level 29er and ended up with a 2k bike for a fantastic price.

The only thing I changed on the bike was the saddle, anyone looking for a WTB Silverado let me know I will sell it real cheap.

I am real proud of the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I really like my Pine Mountain 29'r, Marin builds a great 29'r.
    I'm interested in the Silverado, PM me.

DTL
    mtbr member
    I've been looking at the same bike myself as a 2nd 29er to my FS. How is the steering with the 71.5 head angle? Is it twitchy at all? Also how does the rear end feel over small roots and stuff? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    The bike does not feel twitchy to me, I set up the bike tubeless and the small roots and rocks are absorbed quite well. I can honestly say that I couldn't be happier with the bike. I will probably swap out the seat post for a thomson zero setback, other than that it is great.

I did have to have the free hub rebuilt on the Sun Ringle black flag experts, but they did a good job covering it under warranty. I don't blame Marin for this problem

Also the quick release for the seatpost is pretty crappy and I did replace it with a dedicated seatpost without the quick release.

mtbr member
    Looking to get rid of the stock seatpost and seat post clamp, message me if intersted.

mtbr member
    Greetings,
    I guess this thread is not active anymore. I just happened to find it, so I'll write my thoughts/experience. I got the Marin Nail Trail 29er 2011 on a 30% off in 12/2011. I chose it forst of all because I loved the design. The tube shapes and midnight black color, it was the best looking bike for me at that time. Also price/value was really good.
    I read the review on bikeradar.com, where it got quite a bad score : Marin Nail Trail 29er - BikeRadar
    I did not trust that review, I thought that it is subjective, but after riding my Marin Nail Trail 29er 2011 for a few months I found out that it is totally true and I ended up to be really disappointed. As they wrote "Smooth and reasonably well equipped, but low belly and nervous, scrawny front end handicap the handling" and "Good kit selection but frame flex means an awkward feeling ride". I totally agree. It is a good kit sellection, the components are good (SLX/XT what can be bad about it), but the frame is horrible. It really lacks stiffeness and head angle is terrible. While pedaling I felt that some of my energy was getting lost in the frame flex and the handling really is awkward. While riding when you steer into one direction, it tilts to the other direction + the steep fork angle, the bike is really unstable. When going fast down hill in terrain, I was even afraid and could not enjoy the ride. This bike gives no confidence.
    What I loved about it are the wheels. Sunringle Black Flag Expert are fantastic. They are lite and have the Sunringle Dirty Flea hubs with premium high quality japanese bearings. They simply roll fantastic. Climbing and cruising on that bike was a joy. But that is not a thing of Marin, but their kit sellection.
    The Nail Trail 29er 2012 should be significantly better. Marin reworked the frame design, improved the head angle and head set, so it should be more stable. For the 2013 model they added taper stearer which is good, but really downgraded the wheels, where the bike greatly looses value - big mistake, Marin.
    I was lucky to have sold the bike for not to much less than what I bought it for. Then Got the TREK Superfly AL 2012. Value wise it is worse, but I love that bike. Fast, stable and fantastic handling. Gary Fisher sure knows how and their G2 geometry really works. I wish I could have the Sunringle Black Flag Expert wheels on it
    my final words, before you decide which bike to buy, read official reviews, not just user reviews and trust them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2011 Nail Trail 29er-img_4532.jpg  

New 2011 Nail Trail 29er-img_2959.jpg