mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Need a quick Value Answer Please.

Hey all,
    Sorry for the brashness! I have a lead on what appears to be a 2002 Marin Point Reyes Urban bike. It is in very good condition. It does not have disc brakes and is a 26". It looks all original other than that. I can get it for around 350.00. Is this a good price? The owner has come down from 595.00 over the past few weeks. Thanks for the input!!!
    Shawn

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Anybody? Sorry guys, not trying to be impatient or rude. I'm just up against a time crunch. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think there is no such thing as the right answer to your question. Take a look around and see what you get for the same money. Look at the frame...is it in good condition or do you get better looking bikes for the same money? Does the Marin have better parts than other cycles? Buy the Marin. And if other bikes appeal more, buy those....

It is more (how do you say that...) a gut feeling?

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thank you for your reply. I'm just not really sure. I don't know much about bikes. I'm not even sure if the components are good or just average by today's standards. Im sure when the bike was new they were great, but by today's standards they may be just ok. I really want a 29er, but have only found 1 (giant talon) that fits me very well. I am just having a hard time spending 1000.00 on a bike. I was going to compromise and get a cheaper bike for now, but An not really sure if I'm getting something good or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well, if you can spend a 1000 on a bike you should be able to get a newer bike, or even a new Marin Point Reyes right? Part made in 2002 are not comparable anymore to the current say from 2007 parts.

Marin always made nice frames. So that could be a advantage to choose any Marin....

Once again, good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks again for the reply. I don't necessarily want to spend 1000.00 on a bike. Especially being a newby. I'm kind of a cheap guy. If I can find something used that will work for me for a better price I will take it. But I hate not knowing whether I'm getting a good deal or not. Especially since I really don't know that much about bikes to begin with. I'm one of those guys that buys something and keeps it for a long time. So I really don't want to buy the wrong thing right off of the bat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You keep things for a long time:

that is why you maybe better off with a new bike and spend a bit more? But hey, it is your money and I can speak easily about this. I know what you mean about your feeling.... if your feeling is not right you should not do it.

The only thing i can say is to try to find similar bikes on other sites, that is the only information in which you can compare the price of the bike you are looking at. You have Craigslist in the US right. Something on there?