mtbr member

Is my bike cracked or dirty? Video content

So I've tried to find a crack and can't. Watch the video and tell me what you think.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    It looks like its squeaking without compressing the suspension? I recently replaced the rear triangle of my AT due to deformed dropouts and it developed some creaking- not quite as bad as yours though. It sounded like it came from the BB and mostly when I cranked on the pedals. I looked for cracks and tightened up everything with no luck. I put on a Roco TST shock a few weeks later and cleaned and greased the links and fittings real well with Park tool grease- the manual recommends some Castrol grease you will probably have to special order. It was better after that but not completely gone. After about a month with the new shock (totally sweet by the way) it has stopped. If it started after you removed your shock I would start there.

Rogue Exterminator
    Dunno and can't really tell from a video.

My answer would be to tear it all down and clean it up.
    In the process you will either find a crack, worn bearings or bushings, and/or parts that need to be cleaned or re-lubed.

Undercaffienated
    Difficult to tell from the video. Sound travels in a bike frame. One positive thing to note is that when you compress the suspension there is no creaking.

Are you just rocking the bike back and forth without holding the brakes?
    Last edited by hmorsi; 12-02-2012 at 06:32 AM.

mtbr member
    I found the problem. So earlier, I wiggled the rear wheel, and it was solid, so I thought the dropouts were fine. Turns out, two of the bolts needed 1/8 of a turn to tighten up, and the noise vanished.

Lesson: tighten all the bolts, even if you don't think you need to.