mtbr member
    Aug 2010

My 2011 Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er Upgrades w/ Pics

Ok so I picked up this bike at an REI garage sale for $400 a couple months ago. It's a 2011 model. The stock 3x8 was constantly throwing the chain and getting Chain suck. The shifting was crap even after tuning it several times and then having it professionally tuned twice I was still dropping the chain off the granny on climbs and falling over. Since then I've replaced the entire drive train and gone to a 2x9 24-36 Firex with bash guard. A SRAM 991 rear cassette. I installed a new Truvativ Bottom bracket,SRAM X-9 Front and rear derailleur's with X-9 shifters. Avid Elixir CR Hydraulic Brakes 185 mm front 160 mm rear. I wasn't very comfortable with the cockpit so I shortened my stem with a Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 80mm stem, Cobalt 3 Riser handle Bars, Cobalt grips, Cobalt seatpost and seatpost clamp to move my saddle back 20mm. I replaced the Continental Race Kings with WTB Werewolves for a huge improvement in traction. I'm just about to order a new Fox F32 fork and wheelset to accommodate the thru axle. So I've replaced everything on this bike but the saddle, headset, wheelset and fork so far. Off the top of my head I should have saved some cash and bought a better bike to begin with.

Go ahead tell me my bike is way over built I know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 2011 Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er Upgrades w/ Pics-imag0189.jpg  

My 2011 Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er Upgrades w/ Pics-imag0190.jpg  

Marin 29er
    "Try not to ride too long you might end up burning muscle!"
    http://www.beeftrain.com/

_
    Mar 2004
    looks good man.

im new to the marin brand myself. i have a thread in here showing my 09 Alpine Trail frame i built up. i got the frame for $100 (in excellent shape) and everything else i bought separate or had sitting around. i've been loving it so far, although it is the only 29er that iv'e ever ridden.

at least you have all the parts now to build a new frame should you decide to go that route, lol.

mtbr member
    Nice, I have done a less complete version of your swap on a 2011 Alpine Trail... X9 front and rear, X0 grips. Fork will be next. Not a weight weenie, so not worried about the wheelset, and it has held up really well under my 240lbs body. Love the bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan14 View Post
    Ok so I picked up this bike at an REI garage sale for $400 a couple months ago. It's a 2011 model. The stock 3x8 was constantly throwing the chain and getting Chain suck. The shifting was crap even after tuning it several times and then having it professionally tuned twice I was still dropping the chain off the granny on climbs and falling over. Since then I've replaced the entire drive train and gone to a 2x9 24-36 Firex with bash guard. A SRAM 991 rear cassette. I installed a new Truvativ Bottom bracket,SRAM X-9 Front and rear derailleur's with X-9 shifters. Avid Elixir CR Hydraulic Brakes 185 mm front 160 mm rear. I wasn't very comfortable with the cockpit so I shortened my stem with a Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 80mm stem, Cobalt 3 Riser handle Bars, Cobalt grips, Cobalt seatpost and seatpost clamp to move my saddle back 20mm. I replaced the Continental Race Kings with WTB Werewolves for a huge improvement in traction. I'm just about to order a new Fox F32 fork and wheelset to accommodate the thru axle. So I've replaced everything on this bike but the saddle, headset, wheelset and fork so far. Off the top of my head I should have saved some cash and bought a better bike to begin with.

Go ahead tell me my bike is way over built I know.
    Wonderful bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_sparthan View Post
    Wonderful bike.
    Thank you sir!
    It is a lot of fun to ride
    Marin 29er
    "Try not to ride too long you might end up burning muscle!"
    http://www.beeftrain.com/

The perfessor
    good frames are never over-built.............I am looking at the same model 2012 to add to my corral of bikes..........and like you, I will eventually upgrade everything on it, I'm sure.........may strip stuff off of my Cannondale Jekyll (including the Lefty) in the long run if I like the geared 29 experience better.........
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

Zai
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Would you still have bought a Marin bike?

Rides the Desert
    Jeez man I just bought this biks today and have already experienced the same problem! The cranks keep letting go of the chain when im on low gear. Love this bike and also got it for $400 but I guess I might have to get a new gear

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Would you recommend the Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er to a 300lb guy (without a pack)

I'm a big guy, would you recommend this bike? I'd buy it through REI just in case anything happens to it. What do you guys think?

Rides the Desert
    Quote Originally Posted by rockandroll322 View Post
    I'm a big guy, would you recommend this bike? I'd buy it through REI just in case anything happens to it. What do you guys think?
    Hey, I wouldnt recommend it at all. Trek Marlin is better in the same price range.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i'm having second thoughts about this bike all because of this thread... i just bought the 2012 at rei... they didn't have my size, so they're shipping one out and building it on thursday.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    dropping the chain even after several readjustments sounds like the front derailleur just can't hold it's limits for whatever reason or the FD cage is bent... or maybe it just sucks, lol. Might have been able to just buy a new front derailleur to solve that I would think but I could be wrong.

As far as chainsuck, sometimes when a chain is brand new and not broken in, its a bit stiff but if it's still sticking even after breaking in, sometimes the factory grease on the chain is TOO damn heavy. My motobecane exhibited the same symptoms when I first got it... chainsuck galore. As an experiment, I threw the chain in acetone, rinsed, then simple green, rinsed, then denatured alcohol to get rid of all the thick factory grease (may have been overkill, lol) and then sprayed it down with triflow (a light teflon lubricant)... no more chainsuck.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice! I was joining to ask a question about the Bolinas Ridge (bought another one after my other one got stolen) and Fox Shocks when I came across this.

So, I guess since you've done it, and can help. How do I determine which Fox Shocks can fit my Bolinas Ridge 29er? The new shock on it (Suntour XCR 29 Lo) is kind of "meh" - heck it's already got this odd whine whenever I lock it out to commute to the trails. I know I need threadless, and 1 1/8", but anything else? Can I use a tapered.

Sorry for the noob questions in your thread beforehand. Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't own or know anything about this bike but I did just by my wife a Marin Mount Vision Pro (that's why I'm in the Marin Forum). Anyway, that steerer tube looks to be a staight 1 1/8th steerer tube which would mean you can only get a fork that's 1 1/8th. As for travel, I would get something that is close to what the bike came with. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TLD80 View Post
    I don't own or know anything about this bike but I did just by my wife a Marin Mount Vision Pro (that's why I'm in the Marin Forum). Anyway, that steerer tube looks to be a staight 1 1/8th steerer tube which would mean you can only get a fork that's 1 1/8th. As for travel, I would get something that is close to what the bike came with. Hope that helps.
    Thanks! I thought that might be the case but I wanted to hold out hope that I might be able to grab a tapered

Rogue Exterminator
    I have the same bike in a 2012 and have no issues other then when I went over the bars and bent the derailleur hanger which was my fault, not the bikes.
    Once I got it straightened out, it shifted fine again.

Paid $499 on sale for the bike from REI.

Extremely happy with the bike so far and even happier with the service I get from REI.
    If you are looking for a budget bike, I say go for it and if you buy it from REI, you can't go wrong with their lifetime 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you buy it and don't like it, they will refund it no questions asked.

As far as upgrading, too much, I dunno.
    The frame seems solid, so how can you over upgrade that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Here's to hoping you're still on this site:

I have the same bike as you and developed some crank/BB noise so I'm looking to replace and upgrade. Do you know what size bottom bracket we have? When I measured the BB frame shell, it came out to 66mm which I don't know if it's correct. The bike specs only list it as a Truvativ sealed cartridge with no other info. Could you link me which one you purchased? Also, what crankset and length spindles did you go with? I'm also looking into a 2x9 set up, but I'm just starting with the crankset and BB as they need to be replaced. Thanks.

mtbr member
    If you have the stock crankset then its either a truvativ power spline or square BB.
    Truvativ E300 Crankset | SRAM
    You cant tell its square just by looking at it like in the link above.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I do have the E300 3.0 and it is a square spindle. Still can't find any info or part number for the bottom bracket I would need. I didn't want to tear it down since I still ride at least once a week and probably wouldn't get a replacement shipped out in time so I was hoping to order one and swap it out some day.