mtbr member
    Mar 2010

MV '10 pivot bearings...1 clunky pivot.

No warranty for me(demo). Hope I can find a better spec at a bearing house. Not so eager to use the Marin spec. units.
    I noticed that the pivot holes are not sleeved. Not a good thing, as I detect some play.

Now for a bearing extraction solution?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Have you got a problem or do you just need to tighten a pivot bolt? I had a slight clunk in my 09 after pulling shock out to service it. Needed to tighten and threadlock pivot bolts. Hasn't come back since.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well, after applying equal torque to both pivots, the issue remained.

I wonder what the torque spec is? I'd hate to create stiction.

Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Tight with a small 10mm spanner is my torque. I can't remember the exact pivot set-up but I didn't think the pivot bolts loaded up the bearings which were for the links? Seems unusual that your '10 has problems. My 09 pivots looked like new.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 05-19-2011 at 02:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    25nm

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It does seem quite unusual indeed.
    I started hearing some creaking on a couple rides, then I grabbed the seat to move the bike and felt da clunk.

25nm it is then.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    When new mine used to give out a loud crack noise every once and a while . It seems to have grown out of that.Not sure if it was the dropouts or the pivots?
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 05-20-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    This may be relevant to your situation:

I built up a new Mt Vision frame about a week ago and have 4 rides on it. I pulled off the shock today (going to try an AVA), and some of the pivot bearings feel shot. When I removed the shock, the links still attached to the frame feel VERY notched when rotated. A couple of the bearings that were on the free end of the links (where the shock attached) felt a bit rough.

I'll call Marin tomorrow and see what they want to do about it, but just thought I would let you know, you might want to pull off the shock and check the condition of your bearings.

I am really hoping this is an issue of a bad batch of bearings, and not a frame/link alignment issue.
    Last edited by kapusta; 06-08-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    This may be relevant to your situation:

I built up a new Mt Vision frame about a week ago and have 4 rides on it. I pulled off the shock today (going to try an AVA), and some of the pivot bearings feel shot. When I removed the shock, the links still attached to the frame feel VERY notched when rotated. A couple of the bearings that were on the free end of the links (where the shock attached) felt a bit rough.

I'll call Marin tomorrow and see what they want to do about it, but just thought I would let you know, you might want to pull off the shock and check the condition of your bearings.

I am really hoping this is an issue of a bad batch of bearings, and not a frame/link alignment issue.
    Talked to Marin. The problem might actually be the spacer washers. I'll check that out. He siad they use some of the most expensive bearings out there, and could not see how they could possibly be shot already. I'm going to check the torque on all of them as well.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.