mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Mount Vision rear end lateral flex, how is it?

Just wondering how the side to side flex is on the rear end of the Mount Vision 120mm frames?

This past year I rode a Diamond Back Mission frame and for the 2 previous season I rode a Haro X7 frame. Both of these frames had (what I feel) pretty significant side to side flex in the rear end. Both had pretty low slung rear triangles/swingarms.

Im researching frames to try and find one for next spring with minimal flex but no one sells Marin bikes/frames around me. I can buy a frame new online though.

With the Mount Vision frames the rear swingarm really comes up high and it seems like this design would lend itself to minimal flex.

So whats the verdict?

thanks in advance

Bloodied but Unbowed
    The Maxle through axle upgrade, which is the same that goes into the Wolf Ridge, really makes the rear of the Marin MV even more stiff than stock. It is apparent in corners and climbs so far. It is amazing the puny skewers most manufacturers use don't cause more issues.

I have seen some posts on the web complaining that this axle works itself loose. I have not experienced that. Mine has been set and forget. Torque it down, flip the QR, done. It is not indexed like the 15mm through axle on the Fox fork up front.
    "This is my favorite section...watch your step..."

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Non-existant. I can not feel any flex in my MV rear end. I do have the Maxle upgrade, and YES it does work itself loose, BUT it is stiff as hell. I am a clyde by the way 235 lbs geared up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    flyboy- thanks for the feedback. thats exactly what I weigh. We're clydes? I always thought clydes were like 300# +. Then again a chart at the dr.'s office says I'm obese !!. So I got a bit of a beer gut. The rest of me is in fine shape.

Anyways, do you have the float R or the RP23?

Also, what size is the headtube on yours and how is the flex up there? The one I'm thinking of buying is an 09 and it appears to have a 1&1/8 headtube. The other frames i'm considering are all tapered or 1.5", although they are all $1000 plus. My Diamondback mission has the oversized 44mm headtube and it has a nice solid feel up front.

regards

smell my finger
    I'm on an '08 East Peak, and at 205 lbs rider weight, the rear end is laterally very stiff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a 1 1/8 HT. No flex up there either. I am going ot put a Revelation with a 20mm TA, but that is not because of the frame. I currently have a Reba which is not an ideal fork for this frame.

I have a RP23 shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Can anyone let me know what the weight is on the frame (with air shock)?

thnx again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I had 7.01 lbs. for my 09 medium frame w/Fox RP23 shock.

Quote Originally Posted by dragbike
    Can anyone let me know what the weight is on the frame (with air shock)?

thnx again!

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wolf Ridge 6.7, 140mm, no detectable flex.
    No idea what the weight is, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sorry, wrong thread
    Last edited by fsrxc; 11-06-2010 at 07:50 PM.

on my 3rd wind...
    No flex. If there was, can't tell. Even without 12mm Maxle upgrade.
    sth