mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Mount vision pedal bob

What are these bikes like for pedalling guys? Have they got a "snap" to them without propedal. Are they Fragile bikes that'll break on 3 feet drops
    cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    In my experience its a strong no to both questions, not a snappy pedaler at all, but gently build momentum and hold it through anything sort of bike. I find that I only notice the dull pedalling on super smooth climbs or real stop start types of track. Any "real" mountain biking and the traction, cornering speed, and ability to get through rough without loosing speed means I am riding faster for longer than a true xc bike like an anthem,etc.
    When I changed the gearing to 24/36 double the pedalling in granny improved, I can see a 26/39 crankset in my future!
    Doesn't seem fragile at all - and I am happy riding it as fast as my DH bike with very few compromises (jumping more than 20ft is about my limit). But I am looking for a smooth landing whenever I jump or drop on it. In the wet I think its faster than my Sunday!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    The 2009 MV is by no means fragile so I doubt other model years are any worse.

As to pedaling, technique factor aside which accounts for some degree of pedal bob in almost all FS designs, engaging the RP2 Pro Pedal feature does help. I find that I rarely use it mostly because I don't think about it. In other words the bob is not so bad as to be drawing attention to it. The Pro Pedal setting does seem to help on long loose or smooth climbs. The rest of the time it is off and the bike pedals fine.

I too switched to 24/36 and a bash guard. Sure not missing the big ring and this seems a good combination.
    "This is my favorite section...watch your step..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Compared to a Spez style 4 bar linkage frame[ without brain shock] they have snap. Not as much as single high pivot but it's there. If you want to just dawdle then they are very supple over small to medium bumps[ feels too supple when you first ride them]. If you accelerate or climb hard they dig in and go.[ overall they are a high pivot design] Out of the saddle they are okish, better than my Trance x[ much better than spez 4 bar linkage]. My Trance x, in comparison, feels as efficient to pedal but is not as supple on low to med stuff and is steady and stiffens under acceleration and climbing hard. Much more consistent feel to the rear end. The MV has a greater range of feel to the rear end.The MV is a bike that changes character depending on how you ride it. But I find it hard to ride it slow. It's just too much fun. The Trance x is boring and is a steady mile eater in comparison.

Looks like one of the strongest 120mm bikes out there. The trance x looks cheap and wimpy in comparison. Mind you it is 1 lb lighter..
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 12-18-2010 at 12:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Absolutley not a weak frame. I am a clyde and have never felt the frame flex. I do have the rear maxle kit though. I was told by one of the dudes at Marin the '08 frame I have is "crazy strong for an XC rig". So I can't imagine the other years are much weaker. My frame is a bit heavy for a 120 mm bike.

I would say that the MV will dig in and go I have no problem getting up to speed with snappy acceleration. Maybe not as much as a very light XC race bike. That being said I have rode a ton of other FS bikes.

I like my MV a lot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Not quite as snappy as the Nomad I tried out, but there's also way less kickback. Marin designed their quad-link to have close to zero chain extension past 25% sag, which means a less snappy feel but much more active suspension for the rough stuff.