Undercaffienated

Monarch Plus RT3 on 2011 Mount Vision XM8: will it fit?

I remember seeing a thread about a similar question, but did anyone try a piggy-back shock on an 2011 Mount Vision XM frame?

And while we're at at, can anyone confirm that the eye-to-eye length of this frame is 200x57?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The rebound knob gets in the way of the cross bar on the front links on a Wolf Ridge. RT3 is fine on the Wolf ridge though.

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    The rebound knob gets in the way of the cross bar on the front links on a Wolf Ridge. RT3 is fine on the Wolf ridge though.
    The 2011 XM doesn't have a cross bar, but a 'Y-link', so it I think it should fit.

Thanks for the info gvs_nz!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just as long as you have similar room between the links?

Undercaffienated
    Just as long as you have similar room between the links?
    I don't know if it does. I think I'll have to figure out if I can borrow a similar shock to try it out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hmorsi, sent you a PM question about your 2011 Mount Vision
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi View Post
    I don't know if it does. I think I'll have to figure out if I can borrow a similar shock to try it out.
    Did you ever find out if RT3 would fit? I did entertain the idea of getting one, but like you say, the Y link at the front looks like it would foul the piggy back.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Did you ever find out if RT3 would fit? I did entertain the idea of getting one, but like you say, the Y link at the front looks like it would foul the piggy back.
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to verify upper link clearance yet. None of my riding buddies have a suitable shock for testing purposes and neither does the LBS. Still interested in finding out, though.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What would be the benefit of mounting one of these piggy-back shocks?

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    What would be the benefit of mounting one of these piggy-back shocks?
    For me it would be just about experimentation and getting more adjustability on the rear end. I noticed the XM8 is a tad more linear than my 2009 MV which is due to the big air can on the XM8 's RP2 than the standard air can on the 2009 MV' s RP23. With the type of riding I am doing these days, I noticed I was bottoming out (or almost bottoming out) more than I was used to on the old MV. Running just under 30% sag. Less sag and you sacrifice sensitivity to smaller hits on high speed but not so gnarly sections of trail. This frame design is pretty sensitive to small changes in air pressure and i like a supple ride but seem to be pushing the shock to its uncomfortable limits on the rougher stuff at correct sag. I just want something with more adjustability to tinker with.

On a different note, I removed the shock for an air sleeve service today. I always forget how much of a mofo the Quad link frames are to reassemble :banghead:

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Generally I've found RS shocks bottom out easier than Fox shocks if both have the same size air can.
    That's why I use an Rt3 on most of my bikes.
    Very hard to get past the squeeze out and the boost valve kicking in on the Fox shocks.I think the Rs also have a slightly larger volume air can and smaller dia shaft. You can increase the IFP pressure on the RT3 as well,but it's a lot more fluffing around than the on the fly RC3 adjustments. Even so the RT3/ RC3 should still bottom out easier than a fox shock unless you drop the air volume. The RS shocks are also not as active so you will loose some of your small bump compliance and be a bit harsher on sharp edge hits.

Have you tried a Fox air can volume spacer kit?

Undercaffienated
    Generally I've found RS shocks bottom out easier than Fox shocks if both have the same size air can.
    That's why I use an Rt3 on most of my bikes.
    Very hard to get past the squeeze out and the boost valve kicking in on the Fox shocks.I think the Rs also have a slightly larger volume air can and smaller dia shaft. You can increase the IFP pressure on the RT3 as well,but it's a lot more fluffing around than the on the fly RC3 adjustments. Even so the RT3/ RC3 should still bottom out easier than a fox shock unless you drop the air volume. The RS shocks are also not as active so you will loose some of your small bump compliance and be a bit harsher on sharp edge hits.

Have you tried a Fox air can volume spacer kit?
    I see. Thanks for the advice!

I tried the DIY plastic sheet volume reducer mod (search "ski base rp23 mod") and the first experiment didn't feel right (too much material used, a lot more progressive than intended), and I couldn't be arsed to keep removing and installing the shock with the Quad link reassembly being a bit of a headache. I think Fox's own air spring volume tuning kit might be easier to experiment with since I probably would not have to completely remove the shock from the frame to install/remove spacers.

Shame it looks like fitting a Monarch Plus or DB Air wouldn't work on this frame. Have not seen anyone try it yet to completely rule it out, though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Even an RT3 is worth a try if you just want to experiment.However,just like the forks, Rs and Fox shocks have completely different ride characters. RS is linear and Fox is progressive.

mtbr member
    Bit if a thread revival, but just to let everyone know that a Monarch Plus, or any other piggy back shock won't work on the 2011 XM bikes. I finally got round to sending a query off to Marin, and the have confirmed that they won't fit
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was looking into this also last month. And I came to the same conclusion even without 'scientific research'. There is too little room in between the rear triangle.