Undercaffienated

Marin's website updated: New 650B Attack Trail and Mount Vision, among others

Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Marin Bikes

Anyone else thinks it's confusing that Marin is billing the Mount Vision as an enduro bike while the burlier Attack Trail is the 'trail' bike? I mean, yes, the lines between categories are getting thinner and some of the marketing is downright silly (Cannondale OverMountain, anyone), but isn't 'enduro' supposed to designate something burlier, longer travel than 'trail'?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    When are they expected to post pricing? Also, does anyone know availability in the stores?

I am interested to see what the Rocky Ridge will retail for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I concurr, their 2014 is very confusing!! The Attack Trail should go into the Enduro category since its got more travel. But yet they sell it as a "Trail" bike. Marin should have considered using the Fox 34mm instead of 32mm for their enduro bikes.

The frames for Enduro and Trail also look similar. I think Marin's new owners have lost their way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sillymonkey View Post
    I concurr, their 2014 is very confusing!! The Attack Trail should go into the Enduro category since its got more travel. But yet they sell it as a "Trail" bike. Marin should have considered using the Fox 34mm instead of 32mm for their enduro bikes.

The frames for Enduro and Trail also look similar. I think Marin's new owners have lost their way.
    I agree. I get the simplicity of the new quad link 3.0, but it has definitely taken away the uniqueness of the older bikes. Who cares what category manf decide they want to call a bike. Trail and Enduro seem so similar to me it doesnt matter.

Look at the sexiness of this setup...
    Marin's website updated: New 650B Attack Trail and Mount Vision, among others-mount_vision_c-xm8__large_1152_658_80_c1_smart_scale.jpg
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

Undercaffienated
    Regardless of why they ditched it, I still think the quad link II was one's of the most unique designs around. Glad I still have one. I am liking the 2014 designs, though. At least they appear to be huge improvements over the 2012-2013 stuff.

They really should consider offering frame-only options of the MV and AT.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Be interesting to see if they spec the 2014 e13 trs+ gear on the attack trail, rather than the 2013 stuff that is pictured on the website. 2014 wheels have 3 sticker sections. Would make sense if it is a 2014 model that it would have 2014 components. Or am I dreaming? Seems that the attack trail gets a quad link design where the mount vision is a single pivot with rocker arm of sorts and "flex zones". They are not the same linkage anyway what ever the differences are.

mtbr member
    The 2014 27.5 nail trail I'm liking.

chad

mtbr member
    What I hate about the new site is their Archive section. It only goes down to 2011..........

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    At first I didn't like the new bikes but now I have gotten used to the new look.

+1 on the archive though! Please keep the archive alive!! I regularly take a look!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi View Post
    Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Marin Bikes

Anyone else thinks it's confusing that Marin is billing the Mount Vision as an enduro bike while the burlier Attack Trail is the 'trail' bike? I mean, yes, the lines between categories are getting thinner and some of the marketing is downright silly (Cannondale OverMountain, anyone), but isn't 'enduro' supposed to designate something burlier, longer travel than 'trail'?
    My thoughts exactly.

Despite the silly names used by marketing departments that have become commonplace, putting the "Enduro" label on the 2014 Mount Vision while putting the "Trail" label on the 2014 Attack Trail is confusing--bikes from other brands with similar spec/geometry have those labels reversed.

From Marin's US website: "The Mount Vision line is designed and built for epic super-D/enduro racing, where riders need the geometry of a trail bike but the weight and efficiency of a cross-country (XC) bike."

FWIW, "...geometry of a trail bike..." is NOT something that I'd want to ride on trails that were part of our recent enduro race course in Mammoth. And I personally am willing to give up some of the XC weight savings for a bike that is strong enough to handle burly lines.

Ultimately, I don't care what label is used to describe the bike, as long as it's basically a lighter version of my '08 Reign X (again, BURLY and SLACK enough to haul down most of my local trails, but light enough to pedal uphill ALL day long).

So why do labels matter in this case?

Because I think the majority of riders who are shopping for a ~150mm travel "all mountain/enduro" bike are gonna do what I did: stumble on to Marin's site, hit the "Enduro" link, read the description of the 2014 Mount Vision, then move along to the next brand since the Mount Vision doesn't seem to be as dialed for aggressive riding as the competition.

I wonder how many will take the time to hit the "trail bike" link and check out the Attack Trail as an alternative? And that mislabeling may cost Marin some potential bike sales.

Along the same lines, I don't think Marin's site does a good job distinguishing their latest "Quad Link" rear suspension (a minilink/virtual pivot that looks similar to DW and Maestro) from the less sophisticated "Iso Trac" design (single pivot with linkage driven shock, with a carbon flex zone instead of a true pivot near the rear axle, reminiscent of some Yeti rear swingarms). The implication is that the Iso Trac design as spec'd for Marin's "enduro" Mount Vision is better suited to aggressive riding than the Quad Link as spec'd for their "trail" Attack Trail.

Regardless, the Attack Trail looks like a great bike, and it's on my shortlist of bikes to demo as an eventual replacement for my current bike. Hopefully I can demo one to see if it delivers the goods.

mtbr member
    I see they have lowered the spec sheet components on some bikes. Must have not been hitting margins. The nail trail had SLX cranks when announced, now it is deore.