Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

Marin says it's not covered by warranty. What??

My friend Paul bought a new medium 2008 Marin East Peak in 2009 for a great price and has absolutely enjoyed his bike until recently. It seems a crack delveloped in the seatpost tube just above the top tube and duing his last ride it completely gave out. The bike was taken back to the shop where he bought it (Sun & Ski Willowbrook in Houston, TX) where photos were taken and emailed to Marin. Marin says they will not warranty the frame and have offered Paul a replacement frame at a cost of $400. Marin believes that Paul either had the seatpost raised too high or that he hit his bike while driving into his garage. Neither is the case. Paul is 5' 8" and weighs around 170 or so and doesn't ride his bike hard. Please take a look at the pictures below and let me know what you think. Should Marin warranty his frame or do you think he's out of luck? I recently had the exact same crack on my 2006 Haro Shift R3 and Haro didn't think twice about replacing my frame for free. I only had 4 months left on my 5 year warranty at that!
    Attached Images Attached Images          

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That is a fair price for a crash replacement, BUT it is total BS if they are wrong and it is a defect.

mtbr member
    I can see how they would think it was user fault by looking at the pics
    That price isn't bad- for a new frame I would pay it and move on

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Buy a different brand frame. What a cop out.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by saxen
    I can see how they would think it was user fault by looking at the pics
    That price isn't bad- for a new frame I would pay it and move on
    +2.

That's a +1 on both points.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Has anyone else had a problem similar like to with Marin and if so how did you deal with it? Any advice on how to get Marin to warranty this frame?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Looking at the pics I do see ho wthey can think the seatpost was not inserted enough. Kinda a touchy subject with customer service. I am currently waiting on a cracked frame warranty. My weld cracked, so I will see ho wthe customer service is. They have been great when I have called and asked questions.

mtbr member
    If it was me i would ask for them to send their rep to the store to look at it and be there when he comes. Atleast you could discuss it with him face to face.

mtbr member
    Looks to me someone tried to ride the bike with the seatpost way out too far...

aka user error

That's why they didnt offer a warranty.

Maybe that didn't happen but how are you going to prove that.

"l was just riding along and this happened" l wouldn't believe it either.

l would like to see photos of where the seatpost is bent too.

l can totally understand why Marin wouldn't want to warranty the frame ---

also, how can you prove that the 170lbs rider was the one riding the bike when this happened... who's to say it wasn't your 300lbs drunk uncle how did it.

been selling Marin's since 2002 --- since then, l have had to warranty only two frame --- neither one of them were actually bought at my store.. they were bought somewhere else but l helped get the warranty rolling
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here is a picture of my cracked weld. This is such a small crack but it makes a tone of creaking while riding. Marin didn't question it and I am currently waiting for my new frame to show up to the LBS. They are not even a Marin dealer, and so far marin has been very helpful and cooperative. I guess this one is obviously a manufaturing defect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marin says it's not covered by warranty.  What??-broken-bike-066-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    looks like too much seatpost as pedal shop said - most warranty (manufacturer defect) breaks occur on weld lines.

The top of the seat tube is a very strong area, and to break in that manner, you'd have to have a significant rearward force, like running a car into a garage.

Papa T
    My 2 cents.

I would suppose they would have honored the warranty when the crack was first noticed and before it was ridden to the catastrophic state that it is in now. If the crack was noticed prior to this ride, it should have been taken to a shop for a warranty replacement request at that point in time.

Another assumption (since I do not have statistical data that Marin may have) is that an overwhelming majority of warranty claims are probably for minor cracks/defects and not catastrophic failures. Their data probably points to failures of the type shown are due to user error or ignoring small cracks until they become catastrophic (again user error). Once the failure is that bad, you cannot tell the difference from a crash/user error failure or a defect that was ignored/missed and became catastrophic in one instant.

I am curious to the exact circumstances of the failure. Was your friend jumping, JRA, get injured? Did he take a fall when the seat tube failed? I would have to imagine that a failure of that magnitude was caused by the seat getting caught on something and acting as a lever to tear the tube in that fashion. This is coming from a mechanical engineer's point of view.

I hope it all works out for your friend. I would suggest he take up Marin on the discount offer. Their frames are pretty bombproof as I have been riding/jumping mine for 4 years now and am a low flying clydesdale.
    Keep your head tube up!
    2012 Marin Mt. Vision XM Pro
    2009 Jamis Dragon ONE

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    seat post clamp over tightened possibly?

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I can see how everyone would think that he either had the seatpost up too high or hit it on something like a garage but that just isn't the case. It's one of those deals where it wasn't user error but how do you prove it? It sucks as Paul hasn't rode his bike very much and now he has to shell out $400 for a new frame. This puts a sour taste in my mouth concerning Marin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Marin has always been good with me.on an earlier east peak i had two rear triangles replaced and one main frame replaced for cracks.on my 09 mount vision i have a small crack now and i will get a replacemtn in the near future,just waiting till after vacation.

by looking at those pictures i cannot see any in any way how that could be a warranty issue.seat post had to been to high.if it werent to high the post would be bent pretty bad also.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Paul accepted that he's not going to get Marin to warranty his frame plus he's decided that he doesn't want a replacement frame from them. He'll take his components and put them on another mfg's frame. But here's a new problem. The original cracked frame was sent to Marin for inspection and now they won't send it back! Paul wants to keep the frame, I guess for wall art, but they won't give it back to him. Sun & Ski says it's Marin's policy not to send back the broken frame. I could understand that if he was going to buy the replacement frame but since he's not they should give him back his old frame. He did pay for it so it belongs to him. Any ideas why they won't return him his frame?

Mike S.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It is his property.... they have to send it back. I would call up the chain at Marin and speak to someone of importance. Marin might be giving the shop the run around since they are not an actual Marin dealer and have no leverage.

Again at this point I would take matters in my own hands.... or better yet if you have a friend / coworker that is very convincing and doesn't take no for an answer have them call.... especially good if they happen to be an attorney

mtbr member
    Marin bikes are a good bunch of people.
    yea..well....the dude abides!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude
    Paul accepted that he's not going to get Marin to warranty his frame plus he's decided that he doesn't want a replacement frame from them. He'll take his components and put them on another mfg's frame. But here's a new problem. The original cracked frame was sent to Marin for inspection and now they won't send it back! Paul wants to keep the frame, I guess for wall art, but they won't give it back to him. Sun & Ski says it's Marin's policy not to send back the broken frame. I could understand that if he was going to buy the replacement frame but since he's not they should give him back his old frame. He did pay for it so it belongs to him. Any ideas why they won't return him his frame?

Mike S.
    I have that very same frame myself. I go over 200 lbs geared up and have ridden the bike very hard with zero problems.
    Sorry to say but looking closely at the damage I would have to agree with Marin on this one.
    Your buddy should go for the new frame (which is a good amount lighter now) for the 400 and enjoy the one of the best designed frames available!

iLuvTechnical
    Sucks about your buddy's issues! My guess about Marin not returning the frame is that they probably have a written policy about it and it may have something to do w/ dishonest people out there trying to use defective products "again" to get more than they are entitled to.
    There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
    FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    It is his property.... they have to send it back. I would call up the chain at Marin and speak to someone of importance. Marin might be giving the shop the run around since they are not an actual Marin dealer and have no leverage.

Again at this point I would take matters in my own hands.... or better yet if you have a friend / coworker that is very convincing and doesn't take no for an answer have them call.... especially good if they happen to be an attorney
    I would have to agree. If they aren't replacing the frame, you should at least get your broken frame back for whatever reason. Whether it be to try and repair it yourself or run it over with a tractor, it should not matter, you bought it - It's your frame!
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Y'all know this thread is from May, right?

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    whoops.

I am wondering though if he did ever get his frame back...
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Nope. My friend Paul never got his frame back and doesn't have the money to buy the replacement frame. He has been out of a bike ever since. All the parts are sitting in a box doing nothing. I am still upset with Marin and I will bad mouth them till they fix this or the end of time arrives. My Haro Shift R3 AND my Ibis Mojo SL both has cracks in the same place and both companies replaced the frames with no questions asked and did so for free. The Haro was 4 years 10 months into a 5 year warranty and they didn't say a peep about it. It's true that the Mojo is an expensive bike and you would expect that kind of service from Ibis but the Haro was an $800 bike and I got excellent service from them as well. In my opinion Marin is a big company with little customer service and I will never push business their way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well that totally sucks, but it won't stop me from dealing with them. Your friend's experience seems to run counter to most peoples dealings with Marin's warranty dept. 400 is still a real good deal for a replacement frame. If you can't afford that after having 6 months to save up, how could you even afford to mtb in general?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast