mtbr member

Marin Quake Questions

Which shock linkage setting is the slacker, more downhill setting? The top or bottom? I can't find any info on the shock settings.

What's the seatpost clamp size? I can't find this anywhere and none of my 34.9s seem to work. The stock one sucks.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 09-29-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    I don't know on the slack setting but thinking it's the lower one, or the one that promotes more shock travel.

The clamp is probably a 35.4. I got a 34.9 bolt on clamp to fit mine with some "rubber mallet" influence and a slightly longer bolt. I don't think any of your 34.9s are going to fit without some rigging.
    '04 Titus Switchblade LT ~ '08 Marin Quake Custom ~ '09 Fisher Mullet
    mtbCarolinas

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply. I saw your thread and your build is looking pretty nice. I just picked up an 08 Quake 7.3 to use as my dedicated park bike. I have a Pivot Mach 5.7 for trail duties so it really won't see much in that realm. Unfortunately I picked this up at the end of this year's resort season so didn't get to ride it there, but I'm excited for next season.

I haven't had much luck getting any info from Marin when I emailed them a few questions. I can't imagine they get very many emails per day. Seems like bad CS. I've always gotten quick return emails from other bike companies I've dealt with, even small ones. I like Marin bikes and I've owned several, but it's kind of disheartening if this is the standard going forward.

I took the linkages apart to do some maintenance and regrease some things. When I took it apart I did verify that the slacker setting is the lower one (so far as I can tell). I'm still working on finding a seatpost clamp that works. Why they used such an odd size is beyond me. The stock one is so terrible. The arm of the clamp is the worst part of it. You can't exert enough force on it to close it easily when it's tight enough. If you loosen it up enough to close it properly without killing your hand, the seatpost slips. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a "quick release" clamp. I've tried another arm from a QR clamp I had lying around and it worked much better, but the bolt was a bit short. I just need to get the right size bolt and I think I can use the stock clamp with another arm and be much better off.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 10-10-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Maybe contact a Marin dealer instead of Marin. I don't know what their deal is, some companies lose touch with their customers at a certain point.

A brake caliper mounting bolt should be the right type and size for your use.
    '04 Titus Switchblade LT ~ '08 Marin Quake Custom ~ '09 Fisher Mullet
    mtbCarolinas