mtbr member

Marin Quake 7.??

I have been looking at these and have been on the fence about wether or not to invest. I wanted to know from people who actuall own and ride them what they think. I currently have a Haro X7 with DHX air and 66RC up front that I use as an AM / Trail bike. I want something that will go uphill and can take a beating on the way down. I am no pro or bad a$$ but I will look for whatever I can find on the way down to hit and with gear I am about 195 lbs. I have been thinking about a bottle rocket or an sx trail but the Quake has caught my eye and I wanted to know how well the ride both up and down. I live in western NC and so I have to climb to earn my DH fix but sometimes I cheat and burn some fuel. Either way I am just liiking for a reasonably priced bike that will climb and can take the DH.
    Let me know if you guys think this fits the bill.

mtbr member
    1st -- sure, l'm a Marin dealer so it might sound bias.

2nd -- see below some deals we'll ship (2011's are pick up only).

3rd - been riding bikes since 1971 -- been riding freeridey stuff since 1998 -- seen a freeride bike or two.... l don't beat around the bush.. if l don't like it, l'll tell ya... and l'll explain why. l have seen enough bikes, l know what's good and bad about designs.

You mention the climbing thing. That's one thing that really stands out about the Quake. It's sick how well they can climb. Sure the weight of a 40lbs bike will set you back if you're climbing a 4 or 5 mile climb up the back side of a mountain with your XC buds but, once you reach the top, you'll drop em fast on the way down. The bike handles all freeridey aspects extremely well. no need to throw out all the freeride terms -- it does everything very well.

Through the years l had a bunch of different bikes that had designs like the Kona Coiler series -- Banshee's, Cove's, Ellsworth.. this-that-and the other thing like it.. and frankly, l whole bunch of other frames -- some l kept for a while, some l turned over within a month's time. ALL of them l would ride on the same trails so l could compare the differences between them all. Like the hill climbing aspect -- e.g. climb different hills with different bikes, you can't get a true comparison on how well a bike preforms.

Some people give the Quake a knock because it "looks" heavy -- well, +/- 40lbs is not heavy for a bike with that much travel. My Banshee Chaparell was 45lbs and although it's a nice ride...it doesn't ride anywhere near as nice as the Quake.

40lbs it totally normal weight -- so what if it "looks" heavy. How can you review a bike based on looks.

Some people knock it because it looks funky -- again.. SO WHAT!! BFD... if it rides great, who cares. Besides, most people are saying this based on photos not real life, throwing a leg over it, review. See one in person, you'll think differently.

l have seen people comment about how difficult it is to reach the rear shock settings so you can adjust the suspension -- LAME comment -- they design a bike around riding well, ultimately they don't design a bike just so the owner has easy access to the bells and whistles -- Sure, it's not easy to change the settings but seriously, it doesn't take much effort at all to adjust the settings -- l got half a thumb on one hand, l have no problem reaching in and adjusting the setting on the stock Zoke, Fox and Rock Shox Vivid l have on my personal Quake.... besides, set it and forget it.

Compared to the frame design like the Kona Coilers.. there's zero "brake jack". Ask me, a design is flawed if the company needs to install a brake-jack device on a frame in order to get rid of that problem. That DOPE system that Kona has is super cool --- works really really well BUT --- ultimately, if the frame was designed better, it wouldn't need it.

Pedal bob = none, zero, zip... shocks that come with the pro-pedal feature, might as well turn it off. you don't need it on the Quake.

it feels like it has endless travel --- the only way you'll bottom it out is by riding with a spring weight that's way below specs or if you're riding an air shock with not enough air. You never feel that "THUNK" of maxing out the suspension.

little things like cable routing
    paint
    parts they spec the bike out with

all very well done --

the 7.1's were sorta cheese ball with the lame-ass AM4 Zoke forks but the rest is totally fine. they pick a good built kit for the models that are 7.2 or higher.

the 7.8's of today are spec nicely, and the 7.9's -- holy crap -- SWEET BUILD!!!

You'll totally dig the bike!!!

Been selling them since they came out in 2006 -- love them!!!
    Sure, l sell plenty of other brands too. Totally dig the Quake.

---- the sales pitch.

NEW EDITS MADE (from paid mtbr ad) -- (3/3/2011)

Prices if you want to buy the bike complete (with all stock products, no pedals).

Complete OR frame only prices:

2009- (complete bikes)
    Quake 7.8 medium white -- $2310
    Quake 7.9 medium grey ano $2460

2008-
    Quake 7.3 medium gold -- $1450
    Quake 7.1 small mercury gloss -- $1180

2007- (complete bikes)
    Quake 7.1 small red -- $1050
    Quake 7.1 small black -- $1050
    Quake 7.1 medium black -- $1050

2006 - (complete bikes)
    AL7 - $950 --- NO FORK
    CL7 --- SOLD OUT

Bikes that have been parted out -- FRAME ONLY, w/ stock rear shock --- misc parts from the original build kits still available -- email for prices (will post a list soon).

2006 AL7 one small or medium $500 black

2007 7.3 medium only $650 black

2008 7.3 large only $690 gold

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marin Quake 7.??-dsc02942.jpg  

Marin Quake 7.??-rogue.jpg  

Marin Quake 7.??-nomad.jpg  

Marin Quake 7.??-js-sa-025.jpg  

Marin Quake 7.??-dirtbag06-001.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pedal Shop; 03-11-2011 at 06:29 AM.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    P.S. l also sell Transitions -- Bottle Rocket = Totally BAD TO THE BONE --- doesn't climb as well as the Quake.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the helpful information. It's good to hear from someone with experience with these bikes since they are not very popular in my area at least with the people that I see out on the trails and we all want to get the best bang for our buck$$. I will check out your sales infromation and see if there is something that can be worked out. I have bike funds saved up I am just havng a hard time making a decision on what is right for me.

mtbr member
    PM me any time if you have more questions.
    email is info@pedalshop.com

a bunch of random photos of Quakes l have sold: http://pedalshopllc.pinkbike.com/album/MARIN/

don't mull too long -- the weather's turning, l'm selling more and more of them each day -- once those demo's are gone, that's it. it's gonna be a long time till l have options like this again. might not happen at all. --- side note: all those demo's are in extremely good condition. and l can ship anything 2009 or 2010 to you even if it's brand spankin' new-in box. l won't ship anything 2011 unless it's a simple case that you don't have any Marin dealers anywhere near you.

Blacktiger
    Mar 2011
    Bro, what's the diff between an AL7 and a CL7? My aunt gave me an awesome bnew marin quad xlt 7.1, but didn't give me a manual. I was also wondering how to adjust the frame to make it slacker